OT: Wade Phillips on Defensive Personnel

ben

Senior
Premium
From MMQB ... and a good commentary on the failures of the Golden era:

I think Wade Phillips spoke on Friday on what every coach on every level of sports should hear. All sports, not just football. Phillips thinks coaches should tailor what they do to the talent they have, not the other way around. “I don’t understand the people that say, ‘Hey, this is our scheme and that guy can’t play in it,’” Phillips said Friday.

“Well, to me, there’s something wrong with your scheme. You adapt the scheme to what the players can do, not what you can think of. We’ve always done it that way. We started with [Hall of Fame defensive end] Elvin Bethea. We played a lot of the same things that we play now, but he was so quick and so fast that we stunted him all the time. He was our second-leading tackler on the team as a defensive end. He was a great player, but we didn’t let him sit there all the time playing our technique that you have to play, two-gap or whatever.

"The nose guards that I’ve had—I’ve had four or five of them make the Pro Bowl. All of them are different. Ted Washington was huge. We played more in the middle with him, but he controlled the gap. Jamal Williams, he was a powerful guy, so we offset him on the nose and played the same gap, but he hard-charged. We had Greg Kragen here. He was an undersized nose guard and we stunted him to that same gap. It’s the same defense, but it’s different players. That’s what you have to do.

"We played Quentin Jammer at corner. His name was perfect because he wasn’t great playing off, but he was great at jamming a guy on the line of scrimmage. In zone, man and everything that we did, he jammed the guy on line of scrimmage and played well. That’s what you do. That’s a simple way of telling you how you play with players you have and fit your scheme to what they can do.”

Advertisement
Golden tried to fit a square piece into a triangle. ******* moron.

Common sense 101 on display in that write up. Problem is: common sense is so rare these days ,it is considered a super power

Advertisement
I think at the end of the day, that was the most frustrating part of going to and watching Miami games over the past 3-4 years. Knowing that these kids wanted to be "team players" and listen to their coaches only to see them forced into roles and schemes that went against their natural ability. It was like watching a group of caged wild animals - depressing.

- Chickillo gaining that weight to fit the system, move out of his natural aggressive DE role, and then seeing his numbers plummet
- Stacey Coley being asked to run screen passes 4-5 times per game, taking him away from his route running ability and into potential injury
- Duke/Yearby splitting carries in 2014, even in crunch time (4th quarter of 2014 FSU game comes to mind) when Duke was clearly our greatest weapon on offense

The list goes on and on. At the end of the day, some of our most talented athletes ended up in roles/positions that were outside of their comfort zone and the guys that were "team players" and Golden supporters got WAAAAY more playing time than they should have.

I think the funniest thing about Wade is that he is what a lot of meatheads on this board would say is a quiet man with no emotions. The polar opposite of what "swag" people want in a defensive coordinator or a coach in general.

I recently heard an interview with Shawne Merriman the other day and he said he rarely heard the man raise his voice or yell at anyone at any time. He was very methodical and stoic and took a lot of notes and just played it cool.

This guy has been fired and has been called a bumbling idiot for years and years.

People once said he may not even get a job again and he looked tired. He is a southern Gentleman and Christian Values.
Sounds familiar?

I think at the end of the day, that was the most frustrating part of going to and watching Miami games over the past 3-4 years. Knowing that these kids wanted to be "team players" and listen to their coaches only to see them forced into roles and schemes that went against their natural ability. It was like watching a group of caged wild animals - depressing.

- Chickillo gaining that weight to fit the system, move out of his natural aggressive DE role, and then seeing his numbers plummet
- Stacey Coley being asked to run screen passes 4-5 times per game, taking him away from his route running ability and into potential injury
- Duke/Yearby splitting carries in 2014, even in crunch time (4th quarter of 2014 FSU game comes to mind) when Duke was clearly our greatest weapon on offense

The list goes on and on. At the end of the day, some of our most talented athletes ended up in roles/positions that were outside of their comfort zone and the guys that were "team players" and Golden supporters got WAAAAY more playing time than they should have.

Get your point, but Duke cramped up in the FSU game at the start of the 4th. Gus Edwards was already out so they couldn't risk Duke getting injured also.

attachment.php

Advertisement
The problem is that, according to the old coaching staff, they went with "players not plays." They either believed they were actually being flexible or simply lying. Either way, they said one thing and did another. The lesson is basic: watch what coaches do more than what they say they'll do.

Advertisement
Franchise has extolled the virtues of Wade Phillips around here before but he really is one of the sharpest minds in football. Him gameplanning that defense is the real reason Denver actually has a shot on Sunday.

Franchise has extolled the virtues of Wade Phillips around here before but he really is one of the sharpest minds in football. Him gameplanning that defense is the real reason Denver actually has a shot on Sunday.

I'm a Wade Phillips fan but Denver doesn't have a shot with Peyton's noodle arm.

That Carolina defense is going to feast.

Advertisement
From MMQB ... and a good commentary on the failures of the Golden era:

I think Wade Phillips spoke on Friday on what every coach on every level of sports should hear. All sports, not just football. Phillips thinks coaches should tailor what they do to the talent they have, not the other way around. “I don’t understand the people that say, ‘Hey, this is our scheme and that guy can’t play in it,’” Phillips said Friday.

“Well, to me, there’s something wrong with your scheme. You adapt the scheme to what the players can do, not what you can think of. We’ve always done it that way. We started with [Hall of Fame defensive end] Elvin Bethea. We played a lot of the same things that we play now, but he was so quick and so fast that we stunted him all the time. He was our second-leading tackler on the team as a defensive end. He was a great player, but we didn’t let him sit there all the time playing our technique that you have to play, two-gap or whatever.

"The nose guards that I’ve had—I’ve had four or five of them make the Pro Bowl. All of them are different. Ted Washington was huge. We played more in the middle with him, but he controlled the gap. Jamal Williams, he was a powerful guy, so we offset him on the nose and played the same gap, but he hard-charged. We had Greg Kragen here. He was an undersized nose guard and we stunted him to that same gap. It’s the same defense, but it’s different players. That’s what you have to do.

"We played Quentin Jammer at corner. His name was perfect because he wasn’t great playing off, but he was great at jamming a guy on the line of scrimmage. In zone, man and everything that we did, he jammed the guy on line of scrimmage and played well. That’s what you do. That’s a simple way of telling you how you play with players you have and fit your scheme to what they can do.”

Definitely applies to Golden's stubbornness and idiocy on defense and just as much to Larry Coker with Berlin at QB.

UM

That Bronco's defense is pure savagery this season.

But it's a 3-4, I heard that wasn't possible.........

Phillips's 3-4 works due to personnel. Vaughn Miller and Demarcus Ware. Ware was a DE in Dallas. OLB and edge rusher in Denver.

OR... His 3-4 works because of the position he puts those players in, to make plays. By your logic. He could put these players anywhere on the front 7 and his defense would still work. I understand that you need good players too. But you totally undermine wade Phillips and the OP byeven commenting what you did. You're clearly one who didn't realize golden sucked till this yr.

Advertisement
Back