OT: Wade Phillips on Defensive Personnel

People act like coaches running a great 3-4 defense are falling off trees. Just because wade Phillips rums a good 3-4 WITH NFL PERSONELL doesn't mean it can be run in college with south Florida high school athletes. 3-4 still isn't a good defense for us regardless of what wade Phillips is doing

Last edited:
Advertisement
From MMQB ... and a good commentary on the failures of the Golden era:

I think Wade Phillips spoke on Friday on what every coach on every level of sports should hear. All sports, not just football. Phillips thinks coaches should tailor what they do to the talent they have, not the other way around. “I don’t understand the people that say, ‘Hey, this is our scheme and that guy can’t play in it,’” Phillips said Friday.

“Well, to me, there’s something wrong with your scheme. You adapt the scheme to what the players can do, not what you can think of. We’ve always done it that way. We started with [Hall of Fame defensive end] Elvin Bethea. We played a lot of the same things that we play now, but he was so quick and so fast that we stunted him all the time. He was our second-leading tackler on the team as a defensive end. He was a great player, but we didn’t let him sit there all the time playing our technique that you have to play, two-gap or whatever.

"The nose guards that I’ve had—I’ve had four or five of them make the Pro Bowl. All of them are different. Ted Washington was huge. We played more in the middle with him, but he controlled the gap. Jamal Williams, he was a powerful guy, so we offset him on the nose and played the same gap, but he hard-charged. We had Greg Kragen here. He was an undersized nose guard and we stunted him to that same gap. It’s the same defense, but it’s different players. That’s what you have to do.

"We played Quentin Jammer at corner. His name was perfect because he wasn’t great playing off, but he was great at jamming a guy on the line of scrimmage. In zone, man and everything that we did, he jammed the guy on line of scrimmage and played well. That’s what you do. That’s a simple way of telling you how you play with players you have and fit your scheme to what they can do.”

Definitely applies to Golden's stubbornness and idiocy on defense and just as much to Larry Coker with Berlin at QB.

UM

Berlin was a stud his senior year. Beat UiF 2X and F$U 3X.

Definitely applies to Golden's stubbornness and idiocy on defense and just as much to Larry Coker with Berlin at QB.

UM

Berlin was a stud his senior year. Beat UiF 2X and F$U 3X.

I think he means that Brock was infinitely more comfortable out of the shotgun, but Coker came out and said that he wouldn't implement more shotgun sets because "that's not what we do at Miami"

That Bronco's defense is pure savagery this season.

But it's a 3-4, I heard that wasn't possible.........

Phillips's 3-4 works due to personnel. Vaughn Miller and Demarcus Ware. Ware was a DE in Dallas. OLB and edge rusher in Denver.

Wrong. Most of demarcus ware career in dallas he was a 3-4 olb. He was drafted by bill parcells who ran the 3-4. Then he had wade phillips and rob ryan in dallas who both ran the 3-4.

Advertisement
People act like coaches running a great 3-4 defense are falling off trees. Just because wade Phillips rums a good 3-4 WITH NFL PERSONELL doesn't mean it can be run in college with south Florida high school athletes. 3-4 still isn't a good defense for us regardless of what wade Phillips is doing

This is simply inaccurate and I challenge you to explain why Phillips' version of the 3-4 can't be run in college with South Florida high school athletes.

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what a 3-4 entails and why it sometimes does not succeed.

I still remember Wade starting ****** Rob Johnson in the playoffs over Flutie in Buffalo after Flutie dominated that year. They lost that game game and the Bills haven't returned to the playoffs since.

Average head coach, great defensive mind.

I think of Don Shula running the ball like crazy in the early 70s, because he had an amazing line and some really good backs. Fast forward a dozen years and Dan Marino is setting passing records. You do what the players you have allow you to do. PERIOD.

This is simply inaccurate and I challenge you to explain why Phillips' version of the 3-4 can't be run in college with South Florida high school athletes.

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what a 3-4 entails and why it sometimes does not succeed.

Simply inaccurate? How, because you can prove, with history of The Big 3 Florida schools, that the 3-4 is a successful defense with these athletes?

Or because you can show film of Wade Phillips with personnel similar to what Miami gets on the regular?

I believe that if Wade was here he would be running with 4 down lineman by game 3 because hes not stupid.

Advertisement

Simply inaccurate? How, because you can prove, with history of The Big 3 Florida schools, that the 3-4 is a successful defense with these athletes?

Or because you can show film of Wade Phillips with personnel similar to what Miami gets on the regular?

I believe that if Wade was here he would be running with 4 down lineman by game 3 because hes not stupid.

His defensive front is based on speed, not size. His defense at Miami would be an absolute terror.

Btw, FSU won their last NC playing a 3-4.

Hasn't Florida played 3-4??....pretty sure they've had elite defenses there

His defensive front is based on speed, not size. His defense at Miami would be an absolute terror.

Its not a size and speed debate. Its a power and speed debate. In the NFl you get powerful men like Demarcus ware that make your scheme a little easier. You get to pick from loads of men that have the power you need for your defense.

You don't get a surplus of Power in florida. The 3-4 needs power in its front even if it doesn't have size.

And FSU did not win using the 3-4. they were multiple and played much more 4-3 and nickel once Pruitt realized the athletes just couldn't run it the same.

Having the OLB stand may be nothing to you but anyone whose ever played OLB or DE can tell you its an entirely diff ball game and it takes some power to get a good push from a two point stance.

Something that takes time to develop... which is pointless when you can just do what the kids are used to and WIN NOW .... -___-

Hasn't Florida played 3-4??....pretty sure they've had elite defenses there

Not any winning teams..... Urban won with the 4-3. Charlie was using the 4-..... Muschamp runs multiple but its mostly 4-3 as well.

Most dominant defenses from the florida big 3 are 4-3,4-2-5, nickel personell and formation......

Advertisement

Its not a size and speed debate. Its a power and speed debate. In the NFl you get powerful men like Demarcus ware that make your scheme a little easier. You get to pick from loads of men that have the power you need for your defense.

You don't get a surplus of Power in florida. The 3-4 needs power in its front even if it doesn't have size.

And FSU did not win using the 3-4. they were multiple and played much more 4-3 and nickel once Pruitt realized the athletes just couldn't run it the same.

Having the OLB stand may be nothing to you but anyone whose ever played OLB or DE can tell you its an entirely diff ball game and it takes some power to get a good push from a two point stance.

Something that takes time to develop... which is pointless when you can just do what the kids are used to and WIN NOW .... -___-

You literally know nothing about Wade Phillips defense, or the 3-4 in general. You don'nt need anymore power in that defense then you do in the 4-3. It's a one gap defense where they play the run on the way to the QB. The Broncos front 7 is the smallest in the league.

You literally know nothing about Wade Phillips defense, or the 3-4 in general. You dont need anymore power in that defense then you do in the 4-3. It's a one gap defense where they play the run on the way to the QB. The Broncos front 7 is the smallest in the league.

ok, i know nothing. just because you SAY it. not because you can actually refute my points with evidence or film.

too bad you'll never be able to prove me wrong because Wade isn't coaching in CFb anytime soon; and **** never have to work with underdeveloped kids who rely mostly on speed and finesse.

I told you the evidence, but you are welcome to look it up yourself. The Denver Broncos defensive front 7 is the smallest in the NFL. Only one dude over 300 lbs starts on that D, and he is a 2 down player and weighs 310 pounds.

The Seahawks and Panthers, the two best 4-3 defenses in the NFL, are both larger in their front 7.

Bruce Smith played 3-4 DE in that scheme at 260 pounds. It is a system where they slant, stunt, and as guys to penetrate gaps. It is one of the least power-based schemes you will find in the NFL.

Advertisement
I told you the evidence, but you are welcome to look it up yourself. The Denver Broncos defensive front 7 is the smallest in the NFL. Only one dude over 300 lbs starts on that D, and he is a 2 down player and weighs 310 pounds.

The Seahawks and Panthers, the two best 4-3 defenses in the NFL, are both larger in their front 7.

Bruce Smith played 3-4 DE in that scheme at 260 pounds. It is a system where they slant, stunt, and as guys to penetrate gaps. It is one of the least power-based schemes you will find in the NFL.

youre the only one talking about size here pal. I didnt say anything about size.. I said POWER.

you need powerful players to play a stand up DE/olb spot.

James harrison and Demarcus Ware are two monsters doing this. Bruce smith was powerful as ****. You dont need the biggest players for the 3-4 but you need some stout and strong mofos.

Small stature guys can still be stout and strong.

Its easy to get these type of dudes fresh outta high school in the northeast/midwest but its not easy in florida.

A 4-3 Under defense and a 3-4 one gap defense have a lot of the very same responsibilities, yet somehow you're saying one is necessarily better than the other.

Wait so Denver's defense, despite being small, is the most powerful in the league? Based on what, other than to fit a narrative?

So Ware is more powerful than Michael Bennett? Von Miller more powerful than Bruce Irvin?

And you don't think Rusty Medearis wasn't powerful? Or Jerome Brown? Or Tez, Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp? Those guys were weaklings?

In Wade Phillips defense, Sapp would be doing the exact same thing he did in Tampa. The EXACT. I'd love to hear how he somehow needs more power in Wades system.

Advertisement
Back