OT: Under Armour cancelling UCLA contract

Advertisement
Coronavirus has beaten up the economy as a whole, but what does that have to do with the original point I made?

Not really.

Adidas is Yeezy or nothing. The Stan Smiths, Super Star all fell off, and the Nike Reacts ate the Boost lunch.

Ya’ll still think it’s 2015 - 2017. Adidas been fell off. Yeezy is Adidas and credit to him.

I hear ur anger, and rightly so. I agree w u on many points. They didn’t dump us, as opposed to not matching Adidas’ overvalued bid. Adidas is having buyers remorse; trust me. Adidas took a huge risk on us, and shame on us for just collecting a check after the chance they took on us. I told everyone here that if we don’t return the favor, you will see Adidas slow their hype on us like they did Michigan, which they’ve already done. UDub & Az St are their new babies, w KU as their dirty mistress b/c of all the dirt their in.

Your view of Nike is what it is I’m very connected in the shoe industry both on the Adidas front (although that will change shortly as my homegirl already accepted a position w Jordan Wings program), and Nike (due to a frat brother working for Nike, and my client is Howard White’s nephew (VP of Jordan Brand)).

At the end of the day, off strength on how we helped Nike get into the apparel sponsorship business, u’re absolutely correct....but being that I work in Corporate America, as I’m sure most here do, these new regimes can give two fcks about loyalty. ****, I’m experiencing that now w my current job; one bad QUARTER out of my 14 yrs w/ them, handling millions in premium that I acquired on my own, and they are like ‘what the fck have u done for me lately....do we have to go a different direction?’

We just need to make good on what we have. Adidas have tried to do right by us w listening to our complaints on jersey designs and hooking us up w Parley (although we are now 0-2 in them bihs, lol). At the end of the day, I am a Nike guy for several reasons, but my point is if we don’t get our chit together, our next contract ain’t going to be chit. We won’t get dropped; Financially Adidas is much, much stronger than UA....but we won’t get the same love.

OK, so I'm not going to give you a hard tine on Nike as much anymore, you have folks who work there (or will) and I've been operating under the assumption that you (like those illogical Nike fanboys) are still operating under the delusions that Spike Lee is still making Nike commercials, Michael Jordan is still competing in slam dunk competitions, and Bo Jackson is still walking around smoothly and painlessly.

I'm not sure your point on Michigan, which moved to Nike in 2016, I believe. As for those other universities, I don't even know what to say. They may be geographically diverse, but those three universities are either occasional one-sport wonders or don't have a strong brand/sell lots of merch. When you say "buyer's remorse", I just don't see it. Could adidas be doing BETTER if Miami was stomping out ACC football teams like the old days? Sure. But as I pointed out, adidas has been making TO Chain gear and selling it like crazy, that is just an opportunity that wasn't planned in the contract. If adidas is nimble and jumps on the train when Miami makes some ACC runs for football and hoops, they will be fine.

As for UM colorways, why did I have to buy my Crazy Explosives and Alphabounce from AllCanes? Why doesn't adidas release that stuff wider? That's on adidas. Not every UM fan has had an account at AllCanes for 30 years like I've had.

Miami needs a good, strong 3-4 years to convert HS age kids into UM fans for life. UM can end the cycle of mediocrity in the Coastal, there is nothing stopping us from 4 consecutive ACC-CG appearances (and we might even beat Clemson this year with some Covid-19 assistance). Hoops should be in good shape for the next 4 years too, now that the ADIDAS-CREATED cloud is behind us.

If adidas wants to sell more, then they need to drop evidence of Nike's wrongdoing and get some of Nike's flagships put on NCAA probation.

Anyhow, all respect to you, Relly, I may not have the time, money, or desire that is comparable to your level, but I do admire and respect your knowledge in this area.

Miami needs to win more games and sell more merch. adidas needs to take responsibility for their mistakes and adjust their expectations.

I honestly believe that adidas is in the same boat with Officer Candidate Zack Mayo...

Advertisement
Boom! (No Pun intended on your name, lol)

I’ve said it before; Nike, Adidas, Revlon, Amazon, who gives af....we are allowing the market to set us v. us setting the market. We are bleeding $, pimp. We’re bleeding $ b/c of **** poor decisions. Our baseball, football, soccer, and track & field programs should be elite...****, even our golf program just due to the natural resource around. By far, and u know I’m a Cali boy, but by far, Miami has thee best natural recruiting grounds for those aforementioned sports.

We are not investing, like at all. Clemson went from the dumps, to one of the most profitable in a 5 yr span. I don’t get why we don’t understand this concept.

Never forget, our men's golf program was cut in 1992 by Cali boy Dave "Maggot" Maggard, over fake Title IX concerns.

Let's not forget, those other sports are equivalency-scholarship sports. Miami's tuition ain't cheap.

I would recommend that Miami hires an AAD and support staff (just for equivalency-scholarship sports) that put a tremendous amount of focus on identifying talent and matching kids up with UM admissions and UM financial aid. I'm not trying to push any hot buttons, but you need a full-time group to find kids with talent who are maybe slightly below UM's academic standards, then we need to Aunt Becky them and use UM's new financial aid promise to get them funded at the appropriate level.

I 100% agree with your assessment on golf and soccer (and I would add tennis and swimming/diving). Track and field is a bit tougher, there are a lot of different events for which you would need to recruit people to have a dominant program. I know this might sound weird, but maybe even look at gymnastics, the parents of those kids have usually spent hundreds of thousands on them already.

That's not the same thing at all. That's based on revenue dollars produced. Most of that is TV money.

The U brand is totally different than that. It carries a ton more weight and influence than most of those teams,

It's stillca flagship type brand for any manufacturer.

Outside of SC, I don't see a lot of people rocking the purple and orange.

I think this is what it's about.

Investing in program=winning=revenue

Miami is stuck in a cycle of suck because it seems we have terrible business people making decisions. They don't understand how spending the money will more than pay for itself.

If Diaz doesn't work out, and God willing Miami says it will write a blank check for the next HC, who would be worth a monster contract (besides Dabo, Saban, and Meyer)?

Also I'm fine with Adidas. If not them, then maybe Amazon will want to get in the apparel business. They are going to own the world anyways in 20 years.

Saban will retire soon.

I don't think Meyer is coming back into this new BLM/MeToo world.

Time to find the next Saban/Meyer.

I'm not a sneaker guy.

Serious question: why is Nike/Addidas/Puma/Keds/UA sneakers better than Nike/Addidas/Puma/Keds/UA sneakers?

Is it quality? Do they use better child labor to make them?

Is it celebrity endorsements? Is whoever couldn't care less about cooler than the other couldn't care less about?

Is it style?

Is it fit and performance?

Advertisement
I'm not a sneaker guy.

Serious question: why is Nike/Addidas/Puma/Keds/UA sneakers better than Nike/Addidas/Puma/Keds/UA sneakers?

Is it quality? Do they use better child labor to make them?

Is it celebrity endorsements? Is whoever couldn't care less about cooler than the other couldn't care less about?

Is it style?

Is it fit and performance?

Don't you know anything? Nike hooked up with BALCO and they created "The Clear 2", which is a reverse-steroid that is injected into the hands of Asian child laborers to make their hands smaller and more nimble.

Chess, not checkers.

Don't you know anything? Nike hooked up with BALCO and they created "The Clear 2", which is a reverse-steroid that is injected into the hands of Asian child laborers to make their hands smaller and more nimble.

Chess, not checkers.
I know quite a bit.

With that said, I'm not ashamed to admit I skipped all my "Sneaker 101-401" classes. In fact quite proud of it.

As for amping up the child labor, I think you are on to something. Gotta get the product out as efficiently as possible.

I know quite a bit.

With that said, I'm not ashamed to admit I skipped all my "Sneaker 101-401" classes. In fact quite proud of it.

As for amping up the child labor, I think you are on to something. Gotta get the product out as efficiently as possible.

Nike has softer and somehow stronger suicide nets outside headquarters than other brands.

Advertisement
Never forget, our men's golf program was cut in 1992 by Cali boy Dave "Maggot" Maggard, over fake Title IX concerns.

Let's not forget, those other sports are equivalency-scholarship sports. Miami's tuition ain't cheap.

I would recommend that Miami hires an AAD and support staff (just for equivalency-scholarship sports) that put a tremendous amount of focus on identifying talent and matching kids up with UM admissions and UM financial aid. I'm not trying to push any hot buttons, but you need a full-time group to find kids with talent who are maybe slightly below UM's academic standards, then we need to Aunt Becky them and use UM's new financial aid promise to get them funded at the appropriate level.

I 100% agree with your assessment on golf and soccer (and I would add tennis and swimming/diving). Track and field is a bit tougher, there are a lot of different events for which you would need to recruit people to have a dominant program. I know this might sound weird, but maybe even look at gymnastics, the parents of those kids have usually spent hundreds of thousands on them already.

Totally agree;

Advertisement
Under Armour is broke now and wants to get rid of the ridiculous deal they made in 2016 when their stock price was high at around $50. Now their stock is down to $9.

This may actually be beneficial to UCLA. To break this contract UA will probably have to pay them a hefty sum and then UCLA can go sign with another company like the Jordan brand. If they play their cards right they may make even more money with the two sources of income combined
They went from Under Armor to Under Perform.

Advertisement
Back