OT: Under Armour cancelling UCLA contract

Advertisement
If Adidas cancelled Miamis contract, what other shoe companies would be interested? Maybe British Knights. If we're lucky Sperrys or Crocs. I'd wear topsiders with cleats.

Nike. They would offer lower money but w some performance incentives.

That’s not really true. You HAVE TO be a player in either running shoes or basketball shoes for a shoe manufacturer. LA Gear was the first to make a brand with “aerobics” in the ‘80’s; Adidas has made a killing with Yeezy and Puma’s Fenty brand is also super successful - and those, like LA Gear are all about fashion. If you don’t have a brand ambassador who can sell shoes through fashion … you better be trying to push running or basketball shoes.

Nike. They would offer lower money but w some performance incentives.
I would reach out to PUMA. Puma, in Europe, is a fashion brand - even though they have a ton of elite athletes (football, not American).

Remember, Miami was Nike’s first college football team - and started what we know today as school sponsorship. Miami being the first college team to sign with PUMA…win/win.

Advertisement
That’s not really true. You HAVE TO be a player in either running shoes or basketball shoes for a shoe manufacturer. LA Gear was the first to make a brand with “aerobics” in the ‘80’s; Adidas has made a killing with Yeezy and Puma’s Fenty brand is also super successful - and those, like LA Gear are all about fashion. If you don’t have a brand ambassador who can sell shoes through fashion … you better be trying to push running or basketball shoes.

I agree, but here’s the flaw;

As mentioned UA moved too fast in a lane they were not familiar w. They had no plan or forethought. I suggest anyone read the rise & fall of UA article. I believe it was in the NY Time. You could see exactly where they made plenty of fatal mistakes getting in a lane they were not familiar w. Cost them millions

Last edited:
I would reach out to PUMA. Puma, in Europe, is a fashion brand - even though they have a ton of elite athletes (football, not American).

Remember, Miami was Nike’s first college football team - and started what we know today as school sponsorship. Miami being the first college team to sign with PUMA…win/win.

Man, fck Puma. Lol. I don’t want no more soccer oriented sponsorships. Lol.

Edit: unless Jay Z is lacing us w Ace of Spades. Lol

Man, fck Puma. Lol. I don’t want no more soccer oriented sponsorships. Lol.

Edit: unless Jay Z is lacing us w Ace of Spades. Lol
LOL. True. But Puma does a great job of cultivating brands…what they did with Jamaica track and field is incredible (Having Bolt as a brand ambassador didn’t hurt either, but Tommie Smith [USA] of 1968 Olympics is their oldest brand ambassador …).

i think - again, my opinion - Puma could do for Miami what Nike did for Miami (And what Miami did for Nike). That said, all Diaz has to do is COACH and adidas will have pulled off the robbery of the century.

Advertisement
They should’ve never dove into basketball. That was the problem. Their base was never 16-20 y/o African American and they tried to make it their market. They made a ton of money with 25-30 y/o white or Hispanic population and started to lose money with the basketball stuff. Their shirts, apparel, and shoes sell well with the population mentioned. They even have a decent boot and hunting gear. They just chose to dump money in something that wasn’t their base market.
They're coming up in the fishing apparel industry...

Advertisement
They're coming up in the fishing apparel industry...
They should’ve done that years ago before Costa, Columbia, and the local dealers took it over. I’m wearing Salt life and Costa over them as we speak.

Advertisement
Nike is dead to me. We were their FIRST national all-apparel university contract, and they should have kept us for that reason alone. ****, they TOOK ON the UCF contract because Jordan's kids transferred there. They weren't even great basketball players, and they don't do anything for UCF as alums, but Nike wrote a huge check to UCF for Jordan's less-talented KIDS.

So anyone arguing "Nike made a business decision to drop UM", go fvck yourselves.

Nike also treated us like garbage for the last 10 years of our marriage. Fvck Nike.

I tossed all but a couple pairs of my Nikes and all my Nike apparel (excluding UM jerseys) when we switched to adidas, and that is no joke, and no exaggeration.

Adidas will be coming back to dump another massive amount of cash on us soon.

Win or lose we are still a top national brand. UCLA doesn't belong in the same conversation as us when it comes to that.

Advertisement
Back