OT: Tyrique Stevenson arrested

First, i didn't say all 17-18 yr olds, i said belligerent ones. Some push the issue more than others. I would suspect that to actually get arrested, one would have to keep going long after the officer's patience had worn out. I don't anyone who prefers to do paperwork when they don't have to.

I find it a little disturbing that you characterize a legitimate encounter with law enforcement as a ****ing contest.

Advertisement
I said earlier in the thread that DC can be used to lessen the consequences of a worse crime. Obviously that's not what would be in the police report...I would just write up the PC for disorderly....but using officer discretion I could decide to lessen the potential legal..and personal/professional consequences of charging a suspect with a greater crime. I have a feeling that's what happened here. It protects the player...the university...and any other parties that might involved since it was 99% likely a "victimless crime."

In more relatable terms for most people...it's getting a seat belt ticket instead of the speeding ticket that you were originally pulled over for.

GA’s dis-con statute is a misdemeanor. While I agree with your sentiment overall, it’s more than just a minor inconvenience to arrest and process a kid AND have bail set. For what? The arrest stat? The bondsmen fee? The annoyance of having to go to court? Bench warrants for an accidental failure to appear?

In a jurisdiction that’s not blinded by the old ways of policing, this case would have been a big fat decline-to-prosecute.

First, i didn't say all 17-18 yr olds, i said belligerent ones. Some push the issue more than others. I would suspect that to actually get arrested, one would have to keep going long after the officer's patience had worn out. I don't anyone who prefers to do paperwork when they don't have to.

I find it a little disturbing that you characterize a legitimate encounter with law enforcement as a ****ing contest.
Countless times an officer will give someone multiple outs and chances to just leave. Some people just don't do it...more often than not because of drug or alcohol use. It gets to the point where there is no other solution but to arrest the person because they do have to leave peacefully and they absolutely refuse to.

GA’s dis-con statute is a misdemeanor. While I agree with your sentiment overall, it’s more than just a minor inconvenience to arrest and process a kid AND have bail set. For what? The arrest stat? The bondsmen fee? The annoyance of having to go to court? Bench warrants for an accidental failure to appear?

In a jurisdiction that’s not blinded by the old ways of policing, this case would have been a big fat decline-to-prosecute.
Look at the post I made just above this one. I wasn't there so I can't be positive what happened...but it's 99% either the kid just flat out refused to vacate after being ordered to multiple times...the DC is in lieu or a higher charge...or a combo of both.

Kid got charged with a misdemeanor yet UM fans are celebrating as if his football career and life is over with. ..

That’s not what’s happening at all. What’s being talked about is how kids use the excuse they gotta get out of Miami so they won’t get in trouble, yet they get in trouble regardless.

As fans, we’re tired of the front running, bag chasing jits who use us for bigger bags and then use a lame *** excuse as to y they bounced on us.

Advertisement
Oh but when I say Kirby is about to have people turn on him some of y'all doubt this. This idiot Kirby is about to have dudes on his team with rap sheets for days. Oh and his Ms. Stevenson hope you still got that Brinks truck of bail money on deck

UPDATE FROM UGA SITE:

According to the statement, senior wide receiver Tyler Simmons and Stevenson were part of an alleged physical altercation with employees at Cloud Bar in the early hours of Sunday morning. Cloud Bar has declined to press charges against the two UGA players but both have been charged with disorderly conduct by the Athens-Clarke County Police.

"At 12:50 am, an ACCPD officer was working off-duty at the bar and was alerted that a fight was taking place inside the bar," ACCPD said in a statement. "The officer called for assistance and multiple ACCPD officers responded to a chaotic scene with numerous bar patrons spilling out onto the sidewalk and street."

Stevenson is listed on the ACCPD website as being booked into the Athens-Clarke County jail at 2:42 a.m. on Sunday and released at 3:26 a.m. on $1,000 bond. Simmons, however, was not arrested because upon arriving at the Athens-Clarke County Jail, he complained of an injury and was sent to a local hospital. ACCPD did confirm that both players are being charged.

UPDATE FROM UGA SITE:

According to the statement, senior wide receiver Tyler Simmons and Stevenson were part of an alleged physical altercation with employees at Cloud Bar in the early hours of Sunday morning. Cloud Bar has declined to press charges against the two UGA players but both have been charged with disorderly conduct by the Athens-Clarke County Police.

"At 12:50 am, an ACCPD officer was working off-duty at the bar and was alerted that a fight was taking place inside the bar," ACCPD said in a statement. "The officer called for assistance and multiple ACCPD officers responded to a chaotic scene with numerous bar patrons spilling out onto the sidewalk and street."

Stevenson is listed on the ACCPD website as being booked into the Athens-Clarke County jail at 2:42 a.m. on Sunday and released at 3:26 a.m. on $1,000 bond. Simmons, however, was not arrested because upon arriving at the Athens-Clarke County Jail, he complained of an injury and was sent to a local hospital. ACCPD did confirm that both players are being charged.
See mama? Took 2 months to get your son in trouble when he moved out of state but hey Miami probably wouldn't gotten him a felony i guess

Advertisement
UPDATE FROM UGA SITE:

Ducking out by claiming an injury, just delayed the inevitable.
Comes down to an order by a PO to move, damnit then move. Arguing the point, and acting out does not negate the order, or compliance.....

I recognize however, that if one is drunk then rational compliance goes out the window, and belligerence, and hostility may take over.
Hence...........the arrest of both.

I think it's likely that he was drinking underage...which is a violation of UGA conduct that requires minimum consequences. That can range from suspension to community service and some other corrective action. I am standing by my assessment that the DC charges were filed because of the decline to prosecute...which is the bar covering it's ***...and to keep the mandatory university punishments that come with underage drinking. From what I understand...the university does not mandate punishment for a disorderly conduct arrest...it merely says that punishment it a possibility.

Advertisement
Ducking out by claiming an injury, just delayed the inevitable.
Comes down to an order by a PO to move, damnit then move. Arguing the point, and acting out does not negate the order, or compliance.....

I recognize however, that if one is drunk then rational compliance goes out the window, and belligerence, and hostility may take over.
Hence...........the arrest of both.

Are u taking clients? You’re an attorney right?

I think it's likely that he was drinking underage...which is a violation of UGA conduct that requires minimum consequences. That can range from suspension to community service and some other corrective action. I am standing by my assessment that the DC charges were filed because of the decline to prosecute...which is the bar covering it's ***...and to keep the mandatory university punishments that come with underage drinking. From what I understand...the university does not mandate punishment for a disorderly conduct arrest...it merely says that punishment it a possibility.
The punishment is that the next bag payment comes in change, as opposed to tens, twenties, and hundreds. The player then has to spend many hours sorting through the change and putting it into rolls.

Advertisement
Honestly, stuff like this happens on a nightly basis in college towns or areas where lots of college age kids congregate. I've got friends that were arrested in Orlando on similar charges. Usually it's just from mouthing off or being a little too belligerent. One friend was officially charged with "jaywalking" and another caught the infamous "failure to obey police command" Both spent a couple hours in the drunk tank, got bailed out and the charges got dropped. The actual arrest isn't anything crazy or worrisome.

The parents who think sending their kids away will keep them out of trouble is a legit issue though. A lot of parents refuse to hold their kids accountable and are quick to blame any problems on "running with the wrong crowd". Here's the thing, if your kid is constantly getting in trouble here, he's not going to stop getting in trouble just because the scenery changes. I've got family members who grew up in south Florida getting into all kinds of stupid trouble. So much so, that their parents moved up to small town central Florida assuming that getting away from here would straighten their kids out. The kids just found new criminals to hang out with kept getting arrested up there. If you're a habitual trouble maker, you're the problem, not the people you hang out with, not the neighborhood you live in, not anybody else's fault but your own.

What was thi
The punishment is that the next bag payment comes in change, as opposed to tens, twenties, and hundreds. The player then has to spend many hours sorting through the change and putting it into rolls.
Kids these days wouldn't do the work for that even if it was worth a million bucks.

Here’s a video of the awful city the University of Miami resides in. Looks life-threatening !!

No wonder they all leave to go to nice placers like Athens, Gainesville, and many many other beautiful metropolises !!

Advertisement
Back