OT: The Colonel vs. Popeye

Here’s my question to the Popeyes crowd , is Popeyes good or is there literally no good fried chicken chains ? So they’re basically the skinniest fat chick in the club? The only competition was kfc but they’ve went in the toilet and can’t recover . They’re the chicken chain version of Reebok.

If you are talking about "chains", who is out there, really? Among national chains, I'd have to give the nod to Popeyes, between the chicken and the red beans/rice, which nobody else has.

But if you are talking about general quality, and we are allowed to pick non-chain fried chicken, then no way in ****.

By the way, if you can find a Lee's Famous Recipe, they use the same method as KFC (and maybe even the same recipe), and I do like Famous Recipe.

Bojangles chicken is bland (and I hope that a certain UM alum, who is the CEO, can figure out a way to make some improvements). KFC is pretty good. Church's is hit-or-miss. Not sure if you can include any other competitors. Everyone else is either patties (Chick Fila), fingers (Zaxby's/PDQ) or wings.

Advertisement
Wendy’s breakfast is the most slept on thing going, small menu but everything is quality (for a fast food chain).

I tend to agree with you. HOWEVER:

a. Wendy's needs to dump the croissant and go with something superior. My suggestion would be french toast (Wawa does a very good french toast breakfast sandwich). The croissant is grossly overrated, and falls apart in your hand/car.

b. Wendy's needs to come up with a killer breakfast "side" or handheld. For instance, the one good thing that BK came up with is french toast sticks. I would recommend grits, and then you could up-sell to add cheese, bacon, sausage, etc.

c. And, of course, better coffee (I don't drink it). I'd also like to see someone offer OJ with pulp.

If Wendy's makes a few tweaks, they would be top 3 easily, rivaling McD's and Chick Fila.

If you are talking about "chains", who is out there, really? Among national chains, I'd have to give the nod to Popeyes, between the chicken and the red beans/rice, which nobody else has.

But if you are talking about general quality, and we are allowed to pick non-chain fried chicken, then no way in ****.

By the way, if you can find a Lee's Famous Recipe, they use the same method as KFC (and maybe even the same recipe), and I do like Famous Recipe.

Bojangles chicken is bland (and I hope that a certain UM alum, who is the CEO, can figure out a way to make some improvements). KFC is pretty good. Church's is hit-or-miss. Not sure if you can include any other competitors. Everyone else is either patties (Chick Fila), fingers (Zaxby's/PDQ) or wings.

There’s a small mom and pops in a little hick town in my territory called “ Fryers”. Omg it’s good!!!! Makes Popeyes taste like boo boo.

There’s no good chains , hence why I said Popeyes is the skinniest fat chick “.

My moms was the best I’ve ever had , so I’m quite the fried chicken snob.

a. Wendy's needs to dump the croissant and go with something superior. My suggestion would be french toast (Wawa does a very good french toast breakfast sandwich). The croissant is grossly overrated, and falls apart in your hand/car.

b. Wendy's needs to come up with a killer breakfast "side" or handheld. For instance, the one good thing that BK came up with is french toast sticks. I would recommend grits, and then you could up-sell to add cheese, bacon, sausage, etc.

c. And, of course, better coffee (I don't drink it). I'd also like to see someone offer OJ with pulp.

If Wendy's makes a few tweaks, they would be top 3 easily, rivaling McD's and Chick Fila.

I don’t drink coffee , never have so I can’t give an opinion, I’ve also never had their croissant. Only the breakfast sandwiches , their fries are great too, Mini potato wedges.

Advertisement

Lee's Fried Chicken in Sanford is Ridiculously Good....The Biscuits are on point as well...

Advertisement
Publix easily the best chicken in town. Little known fact.... Colonel sanders grandson created the seasoning blend in the Publix fried chicken breading recipe. 💪 winner!!!!

Last edited:
I’m so confused:

KFC already have chicken sandwiches:
The Chicken Little Sandwich, which has the same, exact ingredients of their star, which is The Colonel Chicken Sandwich, which is a bigger version of The Chicken Little Sandwich; but now, they want to create a bigger version of the Colonel Chicken Sandwich & say “it’s new????”

Furthermore, they just had the grand idea of placing a crisp chicken breast in between two glazed donuts!

KFC, get off Popeyes nutz. U’ve had 3 versions of ur chit, so stop trying to “explore” more options. If u haven’t won w 3 attempts, just stop.

give me all the donuts! Love Popeyes tho

The ham, egg, and cheese croissant at Dunkin is surprisingly good if done even close to right. It became my son's go to for a breakfast outing at the age of 7. Of all the places we've tried, the croissant itself is the biggest factor in a good sandwich. Maybe Wendy's needs to find a better croissant instead of doing the same as everyone else.

Advertisement
Never been big KFC fan and never had its sandwich. Did have Popeye's. It was big and price right and I liked it. Popeye's bone-in chicken is tops - mild is my choice, but the sandwich is not in same class.

Anytime I’m around town; Popeyes mild wings on me, sir. I totally agree w/ ur entire assessment.

Look; this is how I do my chicken sandwich: this was on accident, too. I got a spicy sandwich plain, right.....but they gave me some honey. Man instead of the mayo, I spread some of their honey across that spicy joint.....heaven.

Anytime I’m around town; Popeyes mild wings on me, sir. I totally agree w/ ur entire assessment.

Look; this is how I do my chicken sandwich: this was on accident, too. I got a spicy sandwich plain, right.....but they gave me some honey. Man instead of the mayo, I spread some of their honey across that spicy joint.....heaven.

I expect better from you

Advertisement
Ha!

Everyone is trying to make small changes to drive big traffic. McDonald's is trying out a potato (bread) bun for the chicken sandwich. KFC is cutting the pickles thicker.

Just let me know when Popeyes and KFC are serving chicken biscuits for breakfast (or better yet, all day long), and I'll be there.
I think McDonald’s got rid of the mcchicken and only have the spicy mcchicken now. I’m very upset

Advertisement
Back