OT: Tailgating BBQ

Advertisement
What's everybody's favorite barbecue tools/methods? I'm a pretty casual pitmaster, no competition rigs or professional gear. I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain vertical smoker that I really enjoy. I'll usually start with some lump charcoal in a chimney starter then add chunks of wood as I go to get the smoke flavor. I like using applewood or cherry when I'm making pork. Love that sweet smoke.

Just got the PBC over the WSM but had some trouble getting the temp down the first two times i've used it. Other than that just a weber kettle. I've actually gotten awesome smoke flavor from the kettle, but don't have a slow and sear so sometimes that heats a little close to the meat.

I either bring a Weber smokey joe 14" if it's just the wife and kids, or I pre-cook and then heat back up on a coleman stove set-up (roast beef with gravy, yellow rice with pork, garlic bread, etc).

Granted, I have a 3-3.5 drive for each game so I can't bring a full kitchen like some folks.

Sometimes I just like to do burgers and drink beer before the game.

Got a new Pit Barrel Cooker i'm thinking about bringing to tailgate this year. Unfortunately the gates open so close to game time its hard to really smoke some meats other than chicken. Might be able to get some ribs done in the 5 hours before game time but cutting it close.

Thinking about getting a pizza oven connection to the Weber 22" so I know i can have something ready in time.

What's your BBQ setup for tailgates come fall?

Not to criticize, but smoking takes a LOT of time. Have you considered a Big Green Egg instead, it seems like that would be a better fit for the short cooking times at Joe Robbie.

Not to criticize, but smoking takes a LOT of time. Have you considered a Big Green Egg instead, it seems like that would be a better fit for the short cooking times at Joe Robbie.

The PBC is known to cook meat significantly faster than most smokers, that's why i'm even considering it. Ribs or poultry is really my only shot either way. Was curious to hear what kind of tricks anyone had.

Advertisement
Just got the PBC over the WSM but had some trouble getting the temp down the first two times i've used it. Other than that just a weber kettle. I've actually gotten awesome smoke flavor from the kettle, but don't have a slow and sear so sometimes that heats a little close to the meat.
My first foray was a Brinkman vertical that was decent but not enough vents to control temperature. If it started getting too cold, you literally had to open the door to get the temperature back up. It was a good entry level model though, since it was reasonably cheap. I really like the WSM. Get the fire going, adjust the vents, leave it alone for hours at a time and it maintains a pretty consistent heat. Obviously it's not ideal for super long smokes like brisket but for ribs, chicken and fish it's great.

My first foray was a Brinkman vertical that was decent but not enough vents to control temperature. If it started getting too cold, you literally had to open the door to get the temperature back up. It was a good entry level model though, since it was reasonably cheap. I really like the WSM. Get the fire going, adjust the vents, leave it alone for hours at a time and it maintains a pretty consistent heat. Obviously it's not ideal for super long smokes like brisket but for ribs, chicken and fish it's great.

Heard great things about WSM. Was really close to getting one. Maybe in the future if i don't just splurge on an Egg.

Italian sausages, green pepper, onion, good hoagie rolls, all thrown right on the grill. Melt mild white cheese on roll at the end, chop up the veggies once charred, toss it all together and boom you're done! Delish yet super simple so you can focus on the other aspects of tailgating.

Doesn't hold a candle to some properly smoked meat. But unless you're smoking the day before and simply warming up, I don't see how smoking makes any sense for tailgating.

Advertisement
It all depends on what you want to smoke. If you want to do some moinks, ABT's or pig candy then you should be fine. I just wouldn't take my entire rig there. Convert a smokey joe into a mini smokey mountain with an iumsa tamal pot and you're good to go. You also don't have to cook low n' slow to get good bbq taste. Crank the smoker to 350* and your ribs will be done.

I stopped taking my smokers and use a Weber 22.5" or blackstone tailgater for all my grilling.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Smoke your briskets and pork butts so that you pull them just before you head to the stadium. Wrap in foil, then wrap in an old towel and place in a cooler. Give it at least an hour before unwrapping, this will give the meat time to rest and the juices to redistribute throughout. When you unwrap it will still be piping hot.

I've kept brisket hot this way for up to 7 hours but ideally you don't want to go more than 4. You can keep just about anything hot this way but I only do it for large cuts when I have to smoke at home and serve it elsewhere.

View attachment 83140
Looks great

Smoke meat at the house. Bring my little cheap 2 burner gas grill (Coleman) to tailgate to warm up smoked meats, and cook some hotdogs and brats.

It's not my favorite tool but we have a now discontinued (probably due to its propensity to catch on fire) Coleman propane deep fryer. We'll usually do one tailgate a year where everything is deep fried.

20190410_142546.jpg

20190410_142525.jpg

Advertisement
Smoke your briskets and pork butts so that you pull them just before you head to the stadium. Wrap in foil, then wrap in an old towel and place in a cooler. Give it at least an hour before unwrapping, this will give the meat time to rest and the juices to redistribute throughout. When you unwrap it will still be piping hot.

I've kept brisket hot this way for up to 7 hours but ideally you don't want to go more than 4. You can keep just about anything hot this way but I only do it for large cuts when I have to smoke at home and serve it elsewhere.

View attachment 83140
I can literally smell the Brisket in this picture.

View attachment 83140
Being a Chef.....I stand behind this 100%
And Please CaneFam....Make sure you Brine thick Pork Chops (and even Chicken)....The end product is far superior....

Advertisement
Back