OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

Brother what country haven’t you been to... Madagascar? Holy Jezuz.
I’m a strange one cause some of my most memorable restaurants have been hole in the walls. Capital Grill so-so. Smith and Wollensky ok.
Problem is I get bad high anxiety and I always talk my wife out of flying on vacation... and if we do I have to take Valium along.
If you come to Miami there’s an excellent Italian restaurant camouflaged in a Winn Dixie mall on Sunset Dr. that’s real mangiare called Salvatore ‘D.
If you’re traveling north on I75 in GA have you tried Smokin Pig in Valdosta?

Lol 😂 I did mention traveling a lot. I work online so I’m good wherever there’s a internet connection. I decided to spend most of the time traveling. (It’s just hard for me to stay out Rio de Janeiro

But I haven’t been to Europe or Africa at all.
Just Mexico (TJ,DF, Guadalajara, and Cancun), Panama, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, All the Caribbean except the eastern islands.

Thailand, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Indonesia, Japan.

I definitely understand getting the anxiety. First time I took on of the 20+ hour flights to Asia it threw me for a loop.

Like I just went to sleep for 8 hours off the melatonin and your telling me we still have another 7 hours before our first destination/layover......smh. I usually have layovers in Korea or China. But never enough time to leave the airport and explore those places.

Thank god Shanghai airport (PVG) has showers.
Because the flights are so long. You pretty much spend two days on just flying. So I could never recommend Asia for just a 7 day period.

I decide how long I’m going to stay places by the costs of the flight + time zone differences. Any flights over $1000 is automatically me staying for 3+ weeks to feel like I got my money’s worth lol. (Brazil and Asia come to mind for this.)

Thanks for the suggestion!
I’m always down there in south Florida a lot and the Washington DC flights to Florida are NEVER expensive, No matter what part of the state. Its crazy. I’ll be down for some Canes games this year and the food as well.

Probably going to take myself up to Doak Cambell for the first time this year as well.

Salute to all my canes!

Advertisement
Lol 😂 I did mention traveling a lot. I work online so I’m good wherever there’s a internet connection. I decided to spend most of the time traveling. (It’s just hard for me to stay out Rio de Janeiro

Just Mexico (TJ,DF, Guadalajara, and Cancun), Panama, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, All the Caribbean except the eastern islands.

I definitely understand getting the anxiety. First time I took on of the 20+ hour flights to Asia it threw me for a loop.

Like I just went to sleep for 8 hours off the melatonin and your telling me we still have another 7 hours before our first destination/layover......smh. I usually have layovers in Korea or China. But never enough time to leave the airport and explore those places.

Because the flights are so long. You pretty much spend two days on just flying. So I could never recommend Asia for just a 7 day period.

I decide how long I’m going to stay places by the costs of the flight + time zone differences. Any flights over $1000 is automatically me staying for 3+ weeks to feel like I got my money’s worth lol. (Brazil and Asia come to mind for this.)

I’m always down there in south Florida a lot and the Washington DC flights to Florida are NEVER expensive, No matter what part of the state. Its crazy. I’ll be down for some Canes games this year and the food as well.

Probably going to take myself up to Doak Cambell for the first time this year as well.

Salute to all my canes!
Just hearing about your travel stories makes me want to take Valium. No way Jose not me... well maybe a cruise ship, but with Covid I don't know anymore.
Btw... in Miami Versailles is a great place to get Cuban food... Cuban food doesn't have to be expensive to be good. Get the ox tail there it's good, almost as good as mine.
Go Canes!

Salute to all my canes!
I've been trying get a remote job for years. I've come close a couple of times, but it's never worked out.

Oh ****, I didn’t know this. Crazy part is I always have these free stays in Orlando and the flights are always less than $50 round trip from DC.

I should probably go down there more often. But I don’t know enough about the area if I’m not going for Disney or the theme parks.

Depends on what you want to do.

Find a place near Winter Park and hit places on Park Avenue, plus the gardens, museums, restaurants, etc.

I get the appeal of places that do this but it's not my thing. Give me a classic burger and an appropriate bun to meat to toppings ratio any day over this.
Yup I agree 100%. These places are fun and good for pictures but when I want a burger I go to five guys. I like a flat top burger over a fat grilled burger, and five guys makes an awesome flat top burger. We have a place called beauty and the beeef that does burgers like these, and bunch of other burgers. The atmosphere and bar there is good but all the burgers I have had are subpar.

Advertisement
I didn't know what it was either. Sounded high valyrian to me. But now I think it translates to "all men must ribeye"?

If you're local, Wild Forks carries it. It's pricey (I want to say b/w $20-25/pound) but it is **** good. It's not a thick cut; the times I've purchased it, it's about as thick as flap or flank steak. But it's really, really tender. Actually, one of the employees turned me onto it. He called it "meat butter." A quick sear and it's good to go. I'm getting hungry now . . .

Advertisement
There used to be a restaurant in Venice, Fl called The Curry Creek Cafe. Looking at it from the street you probably would just pass it by. That would have been a BIG mistake. The owner, Dave was a phenomenal chef. His wife was from Bali, Indonesia. Consequently the cuisine was half American and half Indonesian.

My wife and I made this our go to restaurant whenever we wanted great food. We loved everything Dave cooked...but the Indonesian cuisine was to die for. Dishes like beef rendang, nasi goreng, satay and others were too good to ever forget. PLUS, Once Dave got to know you, he'd cook anything on the menu to your taste. He often came out of the kitchen to sit at your table and talk about politics, the economy, food, etc.

If you went on Trip Advisor looking for a review they all said the same thing. Ambience (none)...Food (5 star).

Dave and his wife retired to Bali. man do I miss that place.

I hate Geno's and I hate Pat's. Most locals won't eat there. They are tourist traps. I xan name 5 places in Philly that I can guarantee that are better than both of em. No disrespect to the Oliveri family who owns Pat's (the creator of the Philly steak), they just aren't as good as Jim's on South Street, Gooie Louie's in South Philly, Dalessandro's in Roxbourgh/Germantown on Henry Avenue and Chubby's right across the street, and of course, Max's steaks on Germantown and Erie right in the hood. There are two more places I go to before Pat's and Geno's. One is a place I used to stop at in the suburbs when I used to mess with this one pretty *** girl in Sharon Hill.... called Leo's. Fire *** steaks.

@MainLineCane will tell you, hardly anyone in Philly goes to those tourist spots on 9th and Passyunk, we can take you to some delicious *** spots that are better, trust me. ****, I can make a better steak than them.

FACT IS:

Pat's and Geno's would close IF they depended on REPEAT or PHILLY customers

You may mistakenly eat sh%t ONCE.. BUT NO SANE person WITH OPTIONS asks for another

Advertisement
Oh I like peppermill been there a bunch. Likely going back there also.

They got a place I like going for breakfast called hash house a go go inside the Linq. They have a location off the strip as well which doesn’t have as long of a wait.
Cool I’ll check it out

This OT thread definitely delivers. Some of my favorites from various travels (that all rank on best meals ever):

NYC: Marea and Estela on my last trip (though the City has endless options so I rarely repeat, though Crispo is an all time favorite)
Paris: Epicure (my top meal ever)
London: The Ledbury
LA: Bestia
San Fran: Angler (more "casual" restaurant from the Saison folks)
Napa: French Laundry (hit Meadowood on last trip and while service and somm where 12 of 10, food was underwhelming)
Asheville: Curate
Florence: La Giostra

And if we are talking steakhouses, agree with @Boarcane. One of my newer favorites was in Born and Raised in San Diego

Finally most disappointing experience ever: Eleven Madison Park

Advertisement
This OT thread definitely delivers. Some of my favorites from various travels (that all rank on best meals ever):

NYC: Marea and Estela on my last trip (though the City has endless options so I rarely repeat, though Crispo is an all time favorite)
Napa: French Laundry (hit Meadowood on last trip and while service and somm where 12 of 10, food was underwhelming)

And if we are talking steakhouses, agree with @Boarcane. One of my newer favorites was in Born and Raised in San Diego

I got stationed in SD. Never been to born and raised. But there were a few decent spots.

Can’t lie though. We were hitting TJ most of the time for most food and partying. Being some young seaman. That currency conversion went a long way lol.

tacos for like 5-13 pesos....that was living the life.

I’m old and I travel to eat. Le Bernardin is the best restaurant in the world. I’ve dined there a lot (at least a half dozen Christma eves there) and it’s never disappointed. Food truck no clue. There’s a spicy fried chicken one in Austin I’d like to try, but i keep missing it. Franklins is the best hole in a wall, if you can say that about the greatest bbq ever. Period... if you say differently, you’ve never been there. Paris and London are fun. The lecture room & library sketch London is just fun. 3 bars and a Michelin three star when you’re loaded lmao. It’s absolutely a paradise for adults, from the egg shaped disco bar to the jungle room. I need it to be an epic night for everyone. This is special. I think Street XOXO after, if I got the name right, is the way to finish it off. I’m not turned on by just perfect food and dining anymore. Chicago is a solid food town, but it’s too spread out and still trying a little harder than it should. I grew up there, so zero hate. NYC is the best dining in the US and it’s not that close. I really love Napa and the surrounding areas. Vegas doesn’t suck anymore. They know how to have fun while dining. Red is good and Prime 112 is ok, but I’ll only sit up front behind the curtain to the right when you walk in. My last meal was dog**** there and again no hate. Not a big deal. I go to capitol grill Boca for steaks. They’re pretty much all the same and Bobby takes care of me. I’ll get my table on a Saturday night in season, without calling. To me, that’s everything. I’ll dry age and trim my steaks the way I want them. S&W (because you mentioned it) was great when it was next to the mgm in the early days. Obviously that’s closed and Mike Kennedy, Sherry, Sophie, Pops, Tommy and the rest are long gone. David Burk is a loser executive chef. Michael Furrery* was the GM and it was fun back in the day. The grill late night... dam. Dry aged bone in rib eye the only steak I’d eat there. Had my first latash and Petrus there too... For fun in lesser countries south, I like Belize for chicken and Argentina has great French food and steak tartar fwiw. Funny right 🤔 thinking about steak houses, old school Vegas was fun when I was young. Binions was cool when they had their own ranch. Dam I’m old! Louisiana sucks ***/overrated outside of commanders. This country is really good at food now. Sorry, it’s late for me and I’m rambling. I just ate at the number one restaurant in the world in Paris and it was terrible. Can’t remember the name. Just walking in the front door, the host stand was small and had zero room, turned me off from jump. Next! Lol best Chinese food Nan king San Francisco.
Have to disagree about Louisiana and New Orleans. I think that city has more top notch places now than ever before... Commanders, Clancy's, Peche, Brigtsens, Cochon, to name a few.

Strong list. Curate is really great, especially with a visit to Burial and some of the breweries before and after. Do you follow UlteriorEpicure on Instagram? He was a lawyer and now is a food and hotel photographer. He is good friends with the chef from Saison/Angler and a ton of other top level chefs (he is also the official photographer for Meadowood's 12 Days of Christmas every year). Will give you some serious food envy.

Have to disagree about Louisiana and New Orleans. I think that city has more top notch places now than ever before... Commanders, Clancy's, Peche, Brigtsens, Cochon, to name a few.

Strong list. Curate is really great, especially with a visit to Burial and some of the breweries before and after. Do you follow UlteriorEpicure on Instagram? He was a lawyer and now is a food and hotel photographer. He is good friends with the chef from Saison/Angler and a ton of other top level chefs (he is also the official photographer for Meadowood's 12 Days of Christmas every year). Will give you some serious food envy.

Do not, but that will have to be a new follow.

Advertisement
Back