OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

This OT thread definitely delivers. Some of my favorites from various travels (that all rank on best meals ever):

NYC: Marea and Estela on my last trip (though the City has endless options so I rarely repeat, though Crispo is an all time favorite)
Paris: Epicure (my top meal ever)
London: The Ledbury
LA: Bestia
San Fran: Angler (more "casual" restaurant from the Saison folks)
Napa: French Laundry (hit Meadowood on last trip and while service and somm where 12 of 10, food was underwhelming)
Asheville: Curate
Florence: La Giostra

And if we are talking steakhouses, agree with @Boarcane. One of my newer favorites was in Born and Raised in San Diego

Finally most disappointing experience ever: Eleven Madison Park
Great list and eleven Madison was disappointing for us as well. Love anything Thomas Keller does. Boucho’s ham and egg sandwich was to die for and the bakery next door is fabulous. The French Laundry is to die forJean Georges is better now as a two star than they were as a three and Daniel sucks fwiw i wouldn’t wish that dining experience on people i dislike.

Advertisement
Great list and eleven Madison was disappointing for us as well. Love anything Thomas Keller does. Boucho’s ham and egg sandwich was to die for and the bakery next door is fabulous. The French Laundry is to die for 🤗
Ad Hoc was a lot of fun too. Love Napa, but I really loved eating and drinking around Portland and Willamette Valley. It was nice bc
Portland is maybe 30 minutes from wine country, but their wine country was definitely more low key and certainly less geared towards the Tech Bros. Plus it is a **** of a lot easier to drink good Pinots all day than over extracted or heavily aged cabs.

We had some GREAT meals in Portland - Le Pigeon, Kachka, Maurice, Coquine, and Ava Genes were all top notch. They have a couple of Thai tasting menu places that looked great too.

Ad Hoc was a lot of fun too. Love Napa, but I really loved eating and drinking around Portland and Willamette Valley. It was nice bc
Portland is maybe 30 minutes from wine country, but their wine country was definitely more low key and certainly less geared towards the Tech Bros. Plus it is a **** of a lot easier to drink good Pinots all day than over extracted or heavily aged cabs.

We had some GREAT meals in Portland - Le Pigeon, Kachka, Maurice, Coquine, and Ava Genes were all top notch. They have a couple of Thai tasting menu places that looked great too.
I’ve never been to Portland. My wife did a tea and honey tour there with Smith Tea. She loved it. I’d like to go

For seafood, Mike Anderson's in Baton Rouge

6qxGiC5.png

Oh I like peppermill been there a bunch. Likely going back there also.

They got a place I like going for breakfast called hash house a go go inside the Linq. They have a location off the strip as well which doesn’t have as long of a wait.
Peppermill is amazing. I've been there the last 5 or so trips to Vegas. The place looks like a converted strip club, but they swear it's not.

I always order Joe's San Francisco Special there, even if it's dinner time.

Advertisement
Thai Five in Tampa, just south of the airport. Little hole in the wall joint with paper towel napkins and the best fried rice I've ever had.

Also, pretty much any Mexican restaurant in Tucson. We all know they're cartel fronts; we eat there anyway.

Last edited:
Steak au poivre at Okeechobee Steakhouse WPB

Jetty's swordfish at Jetty's Jupiter

Yellowtail almondine at U-Tiki Jupiter

Potato leek soup at Le Metro Bistro (closed)

Lamb shank at Grampa's Dania

Prime rib benedict at Jan's Place Jensen Beach

Any catfish at Catfish House Hobe Sound
Whenever you need the recipe for anything at jetty’s or Utiki, hit me up. I was a sous chef for the owner at one of his other restaurants, I know em all!!!

Advertisement
I don't travel much but Champys chicken in Tennessee is good, locally in west palm i like pirates well, brass ring, Thaicoon, Uncle Joes, Sushi Yama, Riggins

Best restaurant hands down is an Italian joint in Washington DC called Filomenas. Pasta is easy to make, but hard to perfect and they do a great job. My guilty pleasure now is a place called metro diner near ft.benning GA. Great southern soul food and brunch.

Whenever you need the recipe for anything at jetty’s or Utiki, hit me up. I was a sous chef for the owner at one of his other restaurants, I know em all!!!
That yellowtail almondine sauce recipe would make my year.

I'm hoping to hit your place up for some of those mango habanero wings real soon.

Way I do annual Napa trip now is half the time in RRV/Sonoma and half in Napa (always stay Yountville). Gives you enough vino variety and different experiences. After tasting the longer meals can be tough. While not all timers, simple meals at Ciccio and Bistro Jeanty after a day of tasting leave you feeling very happy.

Advertisement
Way I do annual Napa trip now is half the time in RRV/Sonoma and half in Napa (always stay Yountville). Gives you enough vino variety and different experiences. After tasting the longer meals can be tough. While not all timers, simple meals at Ciccio and Bistro Jeanty after a day of tasting leave you feeling very happy.
Yep, there is a reason bistros and the like are so popular through Burgundy. We went to Redd years back and liked it, but I think they have since closed.

The Sonoma/Napa split is a good one. There also seems to be a lot more of the natural wine stuff going on in Sonoma, which I have really started to dig. Martha Stoumen is out of Sonoma and making some insanely delicious wine. Plus, Russian River Brewing, if you are into beer, makes some of the best sours and west coast IPAs in the country.

It is wild. He will go to Saison and they will just put the full tin of caviar in front of him, goes hunting with Skenes, etc. Serious envy for his travels and meals.
Ive heard Josh Skenes on a few podcast. I'd love to go to Angler one day.

Yep, there is a reason bistros and the like are so popular through Burgundy. We went to Redd years back and liked it, but I think they have since closed.

The Sonoma/Napa split is a good one. There also seems to be a lot more of the natural wine stuff going on in Sonoma, which I have really started to dig. Martha Stoumen is out of Sonoma and making some insanely delicious wine. Plus, Russian River Brewing, if you are into beer, makes some of the best sours and west coast IPAs in the country.
Do you live out there? If so I'd love if you could send me some Pliny and Blind Pig. I've traded some local beers here with some guys out there.

Advertisement
Ive heard Josh Skenes on a few podcast. I'd love to go to Angler one day.
Do you live out there? If so I'd love if you could send me some Pliny and Blind Pig. I've traded some local beers here with some guys out there.

Odd fact about Skenes, he is from the culinary wasteland of Jacksonville, FL. Also, some of his hunting and fishing stuff is wild. He wanted to start a super high end restaurant/resort where you go hunting with him in like Idaho or Montana, and then he cooks up the kill.

I am in Atlanta, though both of those beers are excellent. It is funny in today's IPA game how underappreciated an old school clean IPA is, compared with the haze bombs. Where are you located?

Odd fact about Skenes, he is from the culinary wasteland of Jacksonville, FL. Also, some of his hunting and fishing stuff is wild. He wanted to start a super high end restaurant/resort where you go hunting with him in like Idaho or Montana, and then he cooks up the kill.

I am in Atlanta, though both of those beers are excellent. It is funny in today's IPA game how underappreciated an old school clean IPA is, compared with the haze bombs. Where are you located?
South FLa. The haze craze has been around for 3-4 years but it finally arrived down here last year. I'm more of a clear, west coast IPA guy. Racer 5 is one of my favorites, don't know if you ever had it.

I listen to the Dave Chang show podcast and Meateater Podcast. Both of them had Skenes on. Very interesting guy.

South FLa. The haze craze has been around for 3-4 years but it finally arrived down here last year. I'm more of a clear, west coast IPA guy. Racer 5 is one of my favorites, don't know if you ever had it.

I listen to the Dave Chang show podcast and Meateater Podcast. Both of them had Skenes on. Very interesting guy.
Yea I like both styles... time and place for each. Civil Society is some good stuff. We started getting Tripping Animals up here recently but I have yet to buy it. When I was down last time, my buddy and I did a LOT of damage at Union Beer on Calle Ocho. They get some serious brewers in there, though definitely focused on the trendier styles.

Advertisement
Back