OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

Advertisement
What's good to eat in Louisville? Moving there for work with my fiance by the end of August.
Had tons of good food when I lived in San Diego(stationed) and when I was on deployment to Australia, Thailand, and Singapore.

I had to go for work w/in the last year . . . ate at two of Edward Lee's joints since he's a darling of the food scene and was a bit underwhelmed. I ate at both his signature restaurant 610 Magnolia and Milkwood. I enjoyed Milkwood more. Both were good, but perhaps a bit too hyped.

I had to go for work w/in the last year . . . ate at two of Edward Lee's joints since he's a darling of the food scene and was a bit underwhelmed. I ate at both his signature restaurant 610 Magnolia and Milkwood. I enjoyed Milkwood more. Both were good, but perhaps a bit too hyped.
Her and I will have to try them out. Thanks

What's good to eat in Louisville? Moving there for work with my fiance by the end of August.
Had tons of good food when I lived in San Diego(stationed) and when I was on deployment to Australia, Thailand, and Singapore.
Haven’t been, but food photographer whose taste I trust went to these places:
Butchertown Grocery (Louisville) (2019)
Eagle, The (Louisville) (2019)
Harvest (Louisville) (2019)
Mozzi Pi (Louisville) (2019)

Haven’t been, but food photographer whose taste I trust went to these places:
Butchertown Grocery (Louisville) (2019)
Eagle, The (Louisville) (2019)
Harvest (Louisville) (2019)
Mozzi Pi (Louisville) (2019)
Sweet, we'll have to check those out too

Advertisement
I'll chime in...

Best meal ever was also the most $$$ by far, tasting menu at Daniel's in NYC. Worth it and hope to do it again.:)

Best by city:

Miami (my home town) - Zuma
Chicago - Avec (but you have to go to Greek town for a meal as well)
San Francisco - Sotto Mare Oysteria
New Orleans - so many but I'll pick...Restaurant August
Denver - Work & Class
Boston - Neptune Oyster
Rome - Osteria Barberini
Venice - Osteria alla Staffa

What wineries are you guys a fan of?

I enjoyed Joseph Phelps immensely. It's perched atop a hill and they do tastings outside. The wine will never taste better than it does at that moment.

We also enjoy visiting Williams Selyem. Did a lunch/wine tasting at Paul Hobbs that was a blast. Copain was also gorgeous. Had a little picnic at Mauritson (IIRC) that was really nice. I've visited a bunch in Napa/Sonoma (V. Sattui, Mondavi, Silver Oak, Cakebread, Nickel & Nickel, Chateau Montelena, Beckmen, Opus One, Cardinale, Merry Edwards, to name a few) but those seem to be the most memorable.

Huge fans of Palmaz (on their allocation). Hall is another one we like a lot (also on their allocation). Alpha & Omega is great. Stag's Leap (and not Stags' Leap), of course. Belle Glos for the big pinot noir. We order wines from Gunlach Bundschu in Sonoma often as well (surprisingly affordable and the people there are just excellent).

Not a crazy fan of their wines, but Conn Creek offers a Barrel Blending Experience that is simultaneously fun and informational. Get to make your own blend, take it home with you, and then have them keep the blend on file (in case you want to order more). Del Dotto's barrel tasting tour is also pretty great, if you are into that sort of thing.

I also like Silver Oak and V. Sattui of the ones you mentioned... Opus One, too, of course. I'm probably missing another dozen wineries my wife and/or I have really enjoyed. Every time we go we find a new spot and end up on at least one membership list, lol.

I'll chime in...

Best meal ever was also the most $$$ by far, tasting menu at Daniel's in NYC. Worth it and hope to do it again.:)

Best by city:

Miami (my home town) - Zuma
Chicago - Avec (but you have to go to Greek town for a meal as well)
San Francisco - Sotto Mare Oysteria
New Orleans - so many but I'll pick...Restaurant August
Denver - Work & Class
Boston - Neptune Oyster
Rome - Osteria Barberini
Venice - Osteria alla Staffa
Some strong recs. I loved Avec. Chicago has some great places... I also have had great meals at Monteverde, Girl & the Goat, Longman & Eagle, Publican, Fat Rice (I think they just closed), Au Cheval, Bavettes. Whenever next time is, Parachute, Band of Bohemia, Loyalist, Galit are at the top of my list.

John Besh got his name at August but stepped away a couple of years ago during his sexual harassment issues. A friend from college married Alon Shaya, who was his right hand man at both Domenica and Shaya. I used to love Shaya, but he left there and opened Saba, which I have heard is so so. There are too many great places in that city to list.

Denver was a weird food town. We liked El Five, Senor Bear was really good, and have never had a band meal at Rioja (their brunch is also fantastic). But I thought Acorn, Ultreia, and Tavernetta were all so-so. Whenever I look at menus for Denver, nothing really gets me super excited. Except a show at Red Rocks. That will always get me very, very happy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some strong recs. I loved Avec. Chicago has some great places... I also have had great meals at Monteverde, Girl & the Goat, Longman & Eagle, Publican, Fat Rice, Bavettes (I think they just closed), Au Cheval, Bavettes. Whenever next time is, Parachute, Band of Bohemia, Loyalist, Galit are at the top of my list.

John Besh got his name at August but stepped away a couple of years ago during his sexual harassment issues. A friend from college married Alon Shaya, who was his right hand man at both Domenica and Shaya. I used to love Shaya, but he left there and opened Saba, which I have heard is so so. There are too many great places in that city to list.

Denver was a weird food town. We liked El Five, Senor Bear was really good, and have never had a band meal at Rioja (their brunch is also fantastic). But I thought Acorn, Ultreia, and Tavernetta were all so-so. Whenever I look at menus for Denver, nothing really gets me super excited. Except a show at Red Rocks. That will always get me very, very happy.

Yes Chicago is a great food town. You can go fancy or local, also very diverse. I have been to a few of those, was disappointed in Girl & the Goat but would give it another shot. I hear ya on Denver, go out there every now and then when we head up to the mountains and still looking for our go-to place. And Red Rocks(y)

Huge fans of Palmaz (on their allocation). Hall is another one we like a lot (also on their allocation). Alpha & Omega is great. Stag's Leap (and not Stags' Leap), of course. Belle Glos for the big pinot noir. We order wines from Gunlach Bundschu in Sonoma often as well (surprisingly affordable and the people there are just excellent).

Not a crazy fan of their wines, but Conn Creek offers a Barrel Blending Experience that is simultaneously fun and informational. Get to make your own blend, take it home with you, and then have them keep the blend on file (in case you want to order more). Del Dotto's barrel tasting tour is also pretty great, if you are into that sort of thing.

I also like Silver Oak and V. Sattui of the ones you mentioned... Opus One, too, of course. I'm probably missing another dozen wineries my wife and/or I have really enjoyed. Every time we go we find a new spot and end up on at least one membership list, lol.

Ha. Did Del Dotto. The owner has a rather interesting background, but we undoubtedly had fun. I mean, unlike other Napa tours we've done, this one was unapologeticly in favor of just getting trashed. Memorable for sure.

Some strong recs. I loved Avec. Chicago has some great places... I also have had great meals at Monteverde, Girl & the Goat, Longman & Eagle, Publican, Fat Rice, Bavettes (I think they just closed), Au Cheval, Bavettes. Whenever next time is, Parachute, Band of Bohemia, Loyalist, Galit are at the top of my list.

****. You and I are brothers from another mother. Been to both Avec and Publican and enjoyed both. Sepia was also amazing, as was Purple Pig. I also enjoyed Tru several years ago but sadly it closed.

Some of my favorites

S FL - Joe's year ago & Christy's in the Gables
Tampa area - Burns
Best Stone Crabs on the planet - Capt Ron and straight from his traps at his boathouse
NW Florida - no longer around but Blueroom - best scamp and fish I have ever had anywhere on the earth and also stuffed shrimp in wine sauce
this place was as dive like as you can get
also no longer around Perri's Italian Ristrorante - old school Italian with all pasta made by from scratch daily right up with patsy's and dominck in NYC
best fettacini
Sam's Oaster house
Prescott's when Prescott was cooking

New Orleans
Mosca's
Central Grocery
Mother's
Bon Ton Cafe
Antoine's Restaurant
Sunday Jazz Brunch - Arnaud's
Morning Call at the park for beignets - no longer there
and a lot of others lol

Health Food
Cafe Gratitude - venice beach location
R Thomas Grill in Atlanta
SAMA

Atlanta
Coach & 6 - no longer exists
Chops - for steak, lobster, lump crap
L Thai - organic thai food
Sushi - Tanaka (best outside of Hawaii that I've had)
lots of others

Hawaii
original Roys years ago
Pacific Cafe on Kauai (unfortunately no longer there - every meal always was top 5 meals ever)
numerous hole in the walls on northshore

Charleston
Hanks
Fig
Circa 1886
Do not go to Slightly North of Broad
Magnolias

Funny...was thinking those are some good spots then I saw who posted it. :LOL: LOL Been to a few of those with you Surfcane. (y)

Advertisement
****. You and I are brothers from another mother. Been to both Avec and Publican and enjoyed both. Sepia was also amazing, as was Purple Pig. I also enjoyed Tru several years ago but sadly it closed.

Been to all of those (y) didn't know Tru closed. Purple Pig was legit.

Ha. Did Del Dotto. The owner has a rather interesting background, but we undoubtedly had fun. I mean, unlike other Napa tours we've done, this one was unapologeticly in favor of just getting trashed. Memorable for sure.

Yes Del Dotto is known for getting people trashed. Not the place to start a day. Went there on my first trip ever. That place is great for groups.

It is a great food town. There are not too many cities where you can eat so well from tasting menus down to street food places. I actually can't think of a bad meal that I have had in Chicago.

Advertisement
My favorites / most memorable (as been to about 60 different wineries in total between the two areas):

Napa
  • Lail – Grat wine. Because of a hookup did the tasting in her personal home. Philippe Melka winemaker
  • Beau Vigne – Was our previous favorite. Yountville tasting room, but did visit in the middle of vineyard on Atlas Peak. Sold winery though, so dropped membership. Kirk Venge winemaker.
  • Outpost – Best view in Napa I have seen (atop Howell). Wonderful Zin. Thomas Rivers Brown.
  • James Cole – Right off 29. One of my favorite quality, “value” wines
  • Haber – Another Howell Mt. Super Small Production. Member. Did tasting in owner’s home.
  • Clif Family – Did an amazing lunch pairing up at their Cold Springs Vineyard property.
  • Sinegal – Owned by Costco guys. One of the best looking properties I have ever been on. This ain’t the Kirkland brand.
  • Amici – Awesome single vineyard cabs (not their total wine stuff). Tony Biagi is the winemaker.
  • Tres Perlas – Super high-end great winery. Owned by Renteria family who owns of the Valley’s largest farming businesses. Member.
Sonoma/RRV
  • Donum – Sick sculpture garden all over property. Great pinot / pairing tasting. Member.
  • Williams Seylem – Favorite RRV pinot. On their allocation list.
  • Arista – Hands down best lunch pairing I ever did.
Macchia
Cline
Marietta
La Serena

Final product

AD027791-A575-4EC0-9795-5E7A7883F73B.jpeg

Advertisement
Back