OT: Parsons GONE

People on this board coming up with all these different reasons for players sitting out except the obvious. Makes no sense to me why people would accept that an NFL player would opt out of playing leaving millions of dollars on the table, but can't get their heard around why a college student doesn't want the risk either.

It's simple. The benefit to risk ratio is low or non existent.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is his draft eligible year bro. 3rd yr = Jr year = draft eligible after the season= Trevor being able to get drafted after said season. I think
Correct, you just have to be three years removed from HS to be eligible. Doesn’t matter if you only played a year.

Definitely more first rounders opt out, can’t blame them. Don’t think Trevor can opt out, I don’t think he redshirted so this is his third season, unless the league makes exceptions due to the virus.
You can opt out whenever you want to. You can opt out after your junior year of HS and roll the dice. You cant be drafted until 3 years removed from HS though

Advertisement
People on this board coming u with all these different reasons for players sitting out except the obvious. Makes no sense to me why people would accept that an NFL player would opt out of playing leaving millions of dollars on the table, but can't get their heard around why a college student doesn't want the risk either.

It's simple. The benefit to risk ratio is low or non existent.
A college player’s goal is to get drafted and to get drafted high. Unless you are a QB, opting out is counter to that goal. NFL scouts and GMs will absolutely hold that against any player, other than a QB, that opts out. It demonstrates a level of softness and lack of commitment to the game.

I think you look at a vin diagram for players that are 1st round locks and not on a team that projects for the playoffs. These are the ones that probably will hold out.

Advertisement
A college player’s goal is to get drafted and to get drafted high. Unless you are a QB, opting out is counter to that goal. NFL scouts and GMs will absolutely hold that against any player, other than a QB, that opts out. It demonstrates a level of softness and lack of commitment to the game.
I don’t disagree with you just want to highlight how hypocritical it is for NFL franchises to talk about commitment to a game when a player makes a business devision when all the decisions NFL executives make are business decisions. I can’t fault someone for doing to others what others do to them especially in a business sense.

Softness in a pandemic? I think each individual is making a decision based on the risks to themselves and their family. Those that have already proven themselves have little to gain or that gain just isn't worth it to them.

Not wanting to expose yourself and your family to a virus that kills people doesn't make you soft.

Advertisement
I disagree with that. It doesn't indicate "softness" or lack of commitment (how come that wouldn't also apply to a QB, anyway?). It indicates someone taking seriously the issues of COVID and the lack of prep time prior to playing a season....both which could hurt their chances at the NFL. Any GM or scout who downgrades a player for that is not a very smart one.

I’d much rather give individuals choices to play or not than shut it down for everyone. If you don’t want to play or work because you are scared, then don’t. But don’t let other people’s fear take away the choice from the other people who want to take the risk. Whether I agree with his decision or not is irrelevant. It’s his career and his life

Advertisement
Well....
Screenshot_20200805-064026_ESPN.jpg

Definitely more first rounders opt out, can’t blame them. Don’t think Trevor can opt out, I don’t think he redshirted so this is his third season, unless the league makes exceptions due to the virus.
He only needs to be three years removed from high school. He’s eligible after this season whether he plays or opts out. If he’s smart he’ll opt out, as should every projected 1st or 2nd rounder, including our very own Greg R.

not college kids, but two former canes opting out (hurns and benjamin)
Imo unless hurns has health issues that puts him at high risk, i think it was a dumb move for him. He’ll get passed up and probably wont be on the roster in a year. You cant afford to be a 3rd/4th string guy and opt out.

Advertisement
Back