OT: NFL Draft

My recap of the Dolphins draft:

Very solid, if unspectacular. This year's draft will hinge on Josh Rosen, who presumably will start for Miami in 2019. I love the Christian Wilkins pick, and unfortunately as Canes we know all too well how good Wisconsin's OL is, so I like the Deiter pick in the 3rd. I wasn't thrilled with the value we gave up for Rosen given AZ's lack of leverage, but to trade down in the 2nd round with New Orleans and get a 2020 2nd round pick from the Saints was shrewd. The only Miami pick I really dislike is Van Ginkel in the 5th when we could have had Joe Jackson, who fills a more pressing need at DE than ILB and who I predict will be the better pro. I like the rest of the draft, I think Price is an underachiever at OT from Ohio State who can pay dividends if motivated. When I was reviewing tape of Dwayne Haskins I noticed how well his pocket was protected. Well, we got one of the key guys responsible for that. Drafting Myles Gaskin in the 7th is great value and we only have Drake and Ballage, neither of whom appear to be three down backs, so I think Gaskin has a great shot at making the roster as a 3rd down back. The other 7th round pick was a top rated FB, which in the 7th round you can't complain about, although I would have drafted Gerald Willis instead.

UDFAs, I absolutely love the pickup of WR Preston Williams. Dude is a 6'3" former 5 star recruit from Tennessee who transferred to Colorado State and had some domestic violence issues which caused him to drop in the draft. But watching the tape, I am convinced Williams has a great shot of making the 53 man roster. This was a player some had with a mid-round grade who dropped due to some off-field issues a la Gerald Willis.

Overall grade: B+
I hate the Van Ginkel pick. He had a 7th round-undrafted grade. I've read that Buckeyes fans didn't like Prince that much, bad pass blocker and makes too many mental mistakes (False starts, "holds when he decides to block someone and the other times he just doesn't block anyone" lmao). I won't complain about the RB pick, they've been good at finding hidden RB gems.

Advertisement
My recap of the Dolphins draft:

Very solid, if unspectacular. This year's draft will hinge on Josh Rosen, who presumably will start for Miami in 2019. I love the Christian Wilkins pick, and unfortunately as Canes we know all too well how good Wisconsin's OL is, so I like the Deiter pick in the 3rd. I wasn't thrilled with the value we gave up for Rosen given AZ's lack of leverage, but to trade down in the 2nd round with New Orleans and get a 2020 2nd round pick from the Saints was shrewd. The only Miami pick I really dislike is Van Ginkel in the 5th when we could have had Joe Jackson, who fills a more pressing need at DE than ILB and who I predict will be the better pro. I like the rest of the draft, I think Price is an underachiever at OT from Ohio State who can pay dividends if motivated. When I was reviewing tape of Dwayne Haskins I noticed how well his pocket was protected. Well, we got one of the key guys responsible for that. Drafting Myles Gaskin in the 7th is great value and we only have Drake and Ballage, neither of whom appear to be three down backs, so I think Gaskin has a great shot at making the roster as a 3rd down back. The other 7th round pick was a top rated FB, which in the 7th round you can't complain about, although I would have drafted Gerald Willis instead.

UDFAs, I absolutely love the pickup of WR Preston Williams. Dude is a 6'3" former 5 star recruit from Tennessee who transferred to Colorado State and had some domestic violence issues which caused him to drop in the draft. But watching the tape, I am convinced Williams has a great shot of making the 53 man roster. This was a player some had with a mid-round grade who dropped due to some off-field issues a la Gerald Willis.

Overall grade: B+

dolphins got a Top 10 pick for a 2nd round pick, the Cardinals are complete ****show

Comparable to everyone crapping on Goff then they got competent coaching

Alright guys, check out the footage of Preston Williams (who is 6'4", not 6'3" like I mentioned previously) and tell me Miami didn't get a steal as an undrafted FA:

2018 stats: 96 catches, 1,345 yards, 14 TDs. I don't care what conference that's from, that is impressive.

Look at how he catches in heavy traffic at 2:29 and isn't afraid of contact, knowing he's about to be blasted. DeVante Parker doesn't do that. He routinely high points the ball and displays a flair for the circus type catches, too. Granted, the competition is not elite, but the stats and the tape don't lie. This guy looks legit and has the 5 star pedigree to back it up.

He's very good.

From a Cowboys fan.

Who has boys in Florida who are 5 and 7 and, therefore, love dolphins, and therefore, the Dolphins, and , therefore, I might as well prepare myself for the switch.

Advertisement
Alright guys, check out the footage of Preston Williams (who is 6'4", not 6'3" like I mentioned previously) and tell me Miami didn't get a steal as an undrafted FA:

2018 stats: 96 catches, 1,345 yards, 14 TDs. I don't care what conference that's from, that is impressive.

Look at how he catches in heavy traffic at 2:29 and isn't afraid of contact, knowing he's about to be blasted. DeVante Parker doesn't do that. He routinely high points the ball and displays a flair for the circus type catches, too. Granted, the competition is not elite, but the stats and the tape don't lie. This guy looks legit and has the 5 star pedigree to back it up.

We could hope for Kenny Golladay, but Williams doesn't quite meet Golladay's athletic times. Similar physically (6' 4" with 32-33" arms) and in their movements on the field, though.

Anyone who thinks the Dolphins ****ed up by trading for Rosen, is crazy.

Surprised Willlis went Undrafted. Obviously I didn't think he was going before round 4, but him going undrafted is very surprising. Other than that, everything was about expected.

Raiders ****ed me the **** off in the 1st round. But every other pick we made was great imo.

Advertisement
I feel ya, I used to watch all those shows years ago, mainly on ESPN but it is such an utter waste of time. I don't watch combines, drafts, pregame shows, any of it. About 10yrs ago ESPN stopped being about sports, I tuned out. I will watch some NFL and MLB networks sometimes, they are still legit right now.

They are allll about story line and political or hidden messages. Why the f*ck do i need to know my nose tackle was a boy scout at 9?. And every bad story or sombering thing they put first...kid gets drafted..first thing they show...his dad died 10 yrs ago...next kid gets drafted...his mom was a crackhead...like really i dont care..let me know if this dude can runa post corner.

Feel sorry for Fin fans. Josh Rosen is a complete bust.

So was tannehil so who really cares...we skept essentially a 2 on him. Daniel Jones went 6 ......Josh Rosen is better than almost all the qbs in this draft. I mean they were trying to hype will grier and his pea shooter because there were no real arms int his draft. Rosen was the best move for the fins...if he doesnt work out he cost less than our back up qb we've had for a decade in Matt Moore..if he hits...OH BOY.

Feel sorry for Fin fans. Josh Rosen is a complete bust.

Doesn’t matter. They got him on the cheap. He and Fitzmagic can lock horns in a death match to see who gets to be QB1 for the season.

Can’t be any worse than what the Fins have been trotting out there at QB for the past several years.

Advertisement

All our UDFAs so far https://www.thephinsider.com/2019/4...rs-and-signings-of-undrafted-free-agents-2019

So was tannehil so who really cares...we skept essentially a 2 on him. Daniel Jones went 6 ......Josh Rosen is better than almost all the qbs in this draft. I mean they were trying to hype will grier and his pea shooter because there were no real arms int his draft. Rosen was the best move for the fins...if he doesnt work out he cost less than our back up qb we've had for a decade in Matt Moore..if he hits...OH BOY.
He's not going to hit. Murray, Haskins, Grier, all three are better QBs.

Advertisement
I think Redwine and Jackson at the least should have been 3rd or 4th round picks

Jaquan Johnson got drafted right around where he should have maybe a round late

Joe Jackson while productive tested horribly as an edge rusher. It was beyond for an edge rusher 7.8 3 come? Some of these teams have thresholds and if you don’t hit that they won’t even think about drafting you. This Which probably can explain the drop even with his production

Willis while ultra productive, couldn’t shake past issues and it seems it got thoroughly inspected. Probably wasn’t on a lot of teams draft boards to begin with. And when you mirror that with inconsistent tape it is what it is. Still expected him to get drafted though.

Homer - I feel He will outperform his draft spot. Will definitely make the team as a 3rd down back and key special teammer.

All in all this tells me that production won’t matter with horrible athleticism (see joe Jackson and Jaquan). That’s a key component in all of this.

Need to also stop losing meaningless games and get our players as much exposure as possible.

Miami’s team needs to get more athletic. I’m afraid of what this means for quarterman and Pinckney in next years draft because I don’t think either of them will test as well as they need to.

Last edited:
Watch out for Preston Williams former 5 star receiver who just signed with the dolphins as an undrafted free agent. Talent wise he should have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick but he had past issues. He’s going the make that roster though

Ive watch the draft every year since a kid...its like my super bowl. I pulled the plug on nfl network for the off season...but its already locked in that i WONT watch espn draft coverage next year as well as my friends.

Its painfully obvious whta you said is what they want to do...but its downright embarassing and actually turns away people like me who are loyal viewers of the draft. It was STORY AFTER STORY AFTER IRRELEVANT STORY. The Simmons kid they showed not 1 highlight of him...NO plays at all....but showed the footage of him hitting the woman as a high school senior, chastised him for 10 mins.....and then states he has not had any concerns since the incident...Why even show the sh*t...other than your trying to market to "women" that really could give a f*ck about a draft....who the **** think guys watch the draft with their wives...or why are they marketing their programming to a "broader audience". I literally have stopped watching saturday gameday the last 2 years because of this...typically watch fox or go wash the car or some sh*t

I want both in my draft coverage...I want an evaluation of the player (knowing that most will never play meaningful snaps in the NFL)...but I also like the human interest stories. I'd prefer more (human interest stories), to be honest...at least leading up to the draft.

Its the reality show aspect of the circus. Gives the characters depth.

Also, I'd prefer more sit downs with the head coaches / GMs once you get to R6/R7 coverage talking about their draft, the philosophy they had. I always find the post-draft pressers super interesting as the decision makers try and explain their decisions or how they saw the process.

My issue is with the constant banter about neither the evaluation or the human interest aspect. Where they are talking on and on about some NFL news at the time. NFLN now will go an hour or more of coverage without talking about a single pick. They'll take maybe three minutes, put up a "last 10 picks" graphic and just briskly go through 1 or 2 players they like or have a funny name, but no real evaluation or human interest aspect. Couple this with the incredible amount of commercials during the broadcast (especially Day 3...jesus, its terrible) and it makes anything beyond R1 unwatchable.

In some, we do agree though...I think they've gotten away from catering to the hardcores...but they just put 200K butts in seats for this event in a random city in America. Gotta tip yer cap I guess.

Watch out for Preston Williams former 5 star receiver who just signed with the dolphins as an undrafted free agent. Talent wise he should have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick but he had past issues. He’s going the make that roster though

He's one look at someone the wrong way from never getting a second look. The definition of boom or bust. Talent has always been there, but yeah...he's a lotto ticket.

Advertisement
Back