OT: NFL Draft

Poptimus

Senior
We're a day away, so thought I should kick this off. The Dolphins are picking 13th and I'm hoping we go OLine or DLine.

Gambling odds have seen a massive move on Dwayne Haskins. He was at -140 odds earlier today to be taken after the first 10.5 picks and is now at -140 odds to be taken within the first 8.5 picks after the news of the Redskins wanting to trade up broke. Good. I want to see at least 3 QBs off the board before #13.

Don't be surprised if the NY Giants take Daniel Jones 6th. Yes, 6th, not 17th.

I'd love if Miami traded down, picked up an extra pick or two, and selected DT Jeffrey Simmons late in the first. He might not be healthy in 2019, which is perfect to stash him for a year while we tank for a top QB in 2020.

Advertisement
Sad part is I have zero interest in the Dolphins draft, after being a fan my entire life, I've lost serious interest. Growing up we always knew the quality of Sunday dinner hinged on the Dolphins performance that day. Sigh.
The really sad part is that one could say the same about Saturday dinner and the Canes performance that day.

And that is when you slowly drop your coffee to the floor, realizing the last 15 years of football have largely sucked.

But hope springs eternal.

Advertisement
Bears need db help, a rb, and maybe a couple OL. Don’t waste a pick on a kicker. They shouldn’t have been in this spot because they should have signed Badgley like I was saying all last season before LA picked him up.

Would have pushed all of my chips in the middle and said the Dolphins take Rashan Gary...but the recent shoulder tear he was diagnosed with it says thats a long shot.

Now if I were to take a guess...Jawaan Taylor or Devin White.

If the Dolphins stay put at 13, I'll go out on a limb and say Greedy Williams. Turns a pretty good secondary into an elite unit. It's a deep OL and DL group. Get an elite talent in the 1st then come back to the LOS.

Advertisement
We're a day away, so thought I should kick this off. The Dolphins are picking 13th and I'm hoping we go OLine or DLine.

Gambling odds have seen a massive move on Dwayne Haskins. He was at -140 odds earlier today to be taken after the first 10.5 picks and is now at -140 odds to be taken within the first 8.5 picks after the news of the Redskins wanting to trade up broke. Good. I want to see at least 3 QBs off the board before #13.

Don't be surprised if the NY Giants take Daniel Jones 6th. Yes, 6th, not 17th.

I'd love if Miami traded down, picked up an extra pick or two, and selected DT Jeffrey Simmons late in the first. He might not be healthy in 2019, which is perfect to stash him for a year while we tank for a top QB in 2020.

I still think the Giants take Daniel Jones at 17, or get an itchy trigger finger and move up from there.

I don't do mocks, but Brian Burns at 6 would be a sneaky high alert move. Would have said Montez Sweat before the heart condition. But they've visited with Burns and essentially invited every pass rusher at the top of the class...they won't get one (maybe Sweat...but that heart condition) at 17.

Thank jeebus the news about Gary's injury broke. I was positive the Lolphins were going to waste the #13 pick on a defensive lineman who runs fast in shorts but never did anything on the actual football field. Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they traded down, especially if one of the top 4 QBs is still available. If they stay at 13, they need to go after a lineman, either offensive or defensive. I like Wilkins at that spot but I'm not sure if he's a 3-4 end or a NT.

If the Dolphins stay put at 13, I'll go out on a limb and say Greedy Williams. Turns a pretty good secondary into an elite unit. It's a deep OL and DL group. Get an elite talent in the 1st then come back to the LOS.

I'm hoping Greedy falls to the Falcons or Wilkins from Clemson.

Advertisement
I still think the Giants take Daniel Jones at 17, or get an itchy trigger finger and move up from there.

I don't do mocks, but Brian Burns at 6 would be a sneaky high alert move. Would have said Montez Sweat before the heart condition. But they've visited with Burns and essentially invited every pass rusher at the top of the class...they won't get one (maybe Sweat...but that heart condition) at 17.
Teams always pull the trigger early on the QBs, I'm not sure the Giants wait until 17th, especially if the Redskins move ahead of them and take a QB other than Jones.

Thank jeebus the news about Gary's injury broke. I was positive the Lolphins were going to waste the #13 pick on a defensive lineman who runs fast in shorts but never did anything on the actual football field. Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they traded down, especially if one of the top 4 QBs is still available. If they stay at 13, they need to go after a lineman, either offensive or defensive. I like Wilkins at that spot but I'm not sure if he's a 3-4 end or a NT.

Gary is the type of player I love, but always get snake bitten because I really want to ignore the lack of college production, when I shouldn't. His production metrics and analytics are not good. Even in context...knowing that Don Brown's defense doesn't exactly make all 11 look great considering the assignment football they play (example...Peppers/Bush had little positive snaps against the pass because they were asked to spy, etc).

I think ignoring some things like this from Taco Charlton or Chris Wormley is important moving forward. Because ultimately, those guys are role players versus starters. You could point to Frank Clark, but he was a much better, much more productive player than Gary at Michigan despite having similar athletic makeups that make them super intriguing.

If I were a GM, I'm sure Gary would haunt me throughout the process...but when it comes time to handing in the card, I think looking at some of my previous misevaluations or overprojection would have me come to my senses. Would not shock me if Winovich was a better pro as a role playing edge player (think Ninkovich or Shawn Phillips type) but I'd be hunting elsewhere for my edge needs (Brian Burns if I am outside of the Top 5, for example).

Advertisement
Would have pushed all of my chips in the middle and said the Dolphins take Rashan Gary...but the recent shoulder tear he was diagnosed with it says thats a long shot.

Now if I were to take a guess...Jawaan Taylor or Devin White.
I'm actually still concerned Miami drafts Rashan Gary despite the injury. Steve Ross loves Michigan players and I don't trust the team's management.

I never understood how teams draft a guy that never tore it up at the collegiate level, but think they're going to suddenly do so in the NFL.

Teams always pull the trigger early on the QBs, I'm not sure the Giants wait until 17th, especially if the Redskins move ahead of them and take a QB other than Jones.

We've seen in the past couple of draft cycles teams get less of that trigger finger early...maybe one team gets desperate and makes a move to jump very high, but some of these teams sit back and make a move into that 8-13 range (Watson, Mahomes, Lamar, Rosen, Allen).

With that said, Giants would be bozos and it'd be a very Gettleman move to not "know the room" on Daniel Jones and instead of try and trade up from 17 (he doesn't trade up or back...because hes a trash GM) just take him at 6 and take BPA (Edge or OL) at 17.

Sad part is I have zero interest in the Dolphins draft, after being a fan my entire life, I've lost serious interest. Growing up we always knew the quality of Sunday dinner hinged on the Dolphins performance that day. Sigh.
Same, but for the Panthers. That franchise is just floundering.

I'm actually still concerned Miami drafts Rashan Gary despite the injury. Steve Ross loves Michigan players and I don't trust the team's management.

I never understood how teams draft a guy that never tore it up at the collegiate level, but think they're going to suddenly do so in the NFL.

Athletic testing for edge players is really a strong indicator of success...in retrospect, how many teams would have loved to draft Danielle Hunter in R1 despite terrible collegiate production?

I hated him throughout his collegiate career...but Brian Burns should be shooting up boards late. Outstanding athlete...strong college production...he's going to be Danielle Hunter on the high end, Vic Beasley on the low end...if he can put on a little bulk and stay clean of bad injuries, he's going to be very good.

Advertisement
Back