OT: NFL Draft

Athletic testing for edge players is really a strong indicator of success...in retrospect, how many teams would have loved to draft Danielle Hunter in R1 despite terrible collegiate production?

I hated him throughout his collegiate career...but Brian Burns should be shooting up boards late. Outstanding athlete...strong college production...he's going to be Danielle Hunter on the high end, Vic Beasley on the low end...if he can put on a little bulk and stay clean of bad injuries, he's going to be very good.
Brian Burns had as many sacks in 2018 (10) as Rashan Gary did his entire 3 years. I'd take Burns over Gary in a heartbeat. Gary is living off his high school top prospect pedigree, his production doesn't match his draft slot.

Advertisement
I hated him throughout his collegiate career...but Brian Burns should be shooting up boards late. Outstanding athlete...strong college production...he's going to be Danielle Hunter on the high end, Vic Beasley on the low end...if he can put on a little bulk and stay clean of bad injuries, he's going to be very good.
I see more Vic Beasley than Hunter. The biggest difference is strength. Danielle was taken because he flashed elite athleticism AND strength. Burns can be seen multiple times on tape getting washed away by TEs, that never happened to Hunter at LSU.

We're a day away, so thought I should kick this off. The Dolphins are picking 13th and I'm hoping we go OLine or DLine.

Gambling odds have seen a massive move on Dwayne Haskins. He was at -140 odds earlier today to be taken after the first 10.5 picks and is now at -140 odds to be taken within the first 8.5 picks after the news of the Redskins wanting to trade up broke. Good. I want to see at least 3 QBs off the board before #13.

Don't be surprised if the NY Giants take Daniel Jones 6th. Yes, 6th, not 17th.

I'd love if Miami traded down, picked up an extra pick or two, and selected DT Jeffrey Simmons late in the first. He might not be healthy in 2019, which is perfect to stash him for a year while we tank for a top QB in 2020.

Sir, how can the NFL draft ever be "off-topic" at NFL U?

I would like to see the Dolphins pick up Tyree Jackson in a lower round and see what we can develop with him. We can always take a QB in Round 1 if we don't hit the jackpot with Jackson.

I don't think we should get too cute in trying to take Simmons or Gary in free-fall. I'd love to get Oliver if the other teams make a run on QB ahead of us.

Sir, how can the NFL draft ever be "off-topic" at NFL U?

I would like to see the Dolphins pick up Tyree Jackson in a lower round and see what we can develop with him. We can always take a QB in Round 1 if we don't hit the jackpot with Jackson.

I don't think we should get too cute in trying to take Simmons or Gary in free-fall. I'd love to get Oliver if the other teams make a run on QB ahead of us.
Woah, woah, woah. What is this "we" you speak of, I thought you were a Bucs fan! Did Jameis the Rapist change that? Or am I simply not remembering?

I'd love to get Oliver, too, but he will be long gone by the time we pick. The Vegas odds for Oliver are YES/NO for whether he'll be taken in the first 7.5 picks. It's highly unlikely they're that far off and he's there 13th. I agree on Tyree Jackson, too. Of all the non-first round QBs (Murray/Haskins/Lock/Jones) he's the one I want.

Brian Burns had as many sacks in 2018 (10) as Rashan Gary did his entire 3 years. I'd take Burns over Gary in a heartbeat. Gary is living off his high school top prospect pedigree, his production doesn't match his draft slot.
Still ****ed we didn’t go after Burns harder. Him Joe Jackson Chad Thomas Garvin and Trent Harris would have been fun. I mean it was fun watching the 4 guys we had but last year would have been awesome have Garvin, Burns, and Joe Jackson.

Advertisement
Woah, woah, woah. What is this "we" you speak of, I thought you were a Bucs fan! Did Jameis the Rapist change that? Or am I simply not remembering?

I'd love to get Oliver, too, but he will be long gone by the time we pick. The Vegas odds for Oliver are YES/NO for whether he'll be taken in the first 7.5 picks. It's highly unlikely they're that far off and he's there 13th. I agree on Tyree Jackson, too. Of all the non-first round QBs (Murray/Haskins/Lock/Jones) he's the one I want.

I was a Dolphins fan before the Bucs got a franchise (I was a Celtics fan before the Magic got a franchise).

Yes, I officially dropped the Bucs when they drafted Rapeist Winston. I had previously had Tampa Bay season tix. I wrote a letter to one of the VPs of the team and told them I would drop the Bucs entirely if they drafted him.

I threw out every bit of Tampa Bay merch I had (except for ONE Warren Sapp jersey). Everything. I'm all-Dolphins now.

I'm not fighting the Vegas oddsmakers over Oliver, I just think that a run on QBs (and the wide assortment of DLs and LBs available) COULD create a perfect storm where he is either available at 13 or we only need to move up a couple of spots to get him.

Dream scenario, yes.

I really like the measurables and testing on Jackson. I read the article on how he is largely "self-taught", and I think with some good coaching, he might turn into something special.

No don't draft any qbs now. Trevor Lawrence is the goal.

This year, trade down and gather picks and go after O and D line. And start to develope those guys now.

Next year, skill guys.

Following year, TL.

Just tank, Baby!!

Advertisement
I'm actually still concerned Miami drafts Rashan Gary despite the injury. Steve Ross loves Michigan players and I don't trust the team's management.

I never understood how teams draft a guy that never tore it up at the collegiate level, but think they're going to suddenly do so in the NFL.
Ego. Teams always think they can get a guy to reach his potential because his previous coaches didn't know what they were doing or weren't using him properly. It's rare for a guy who couldn't rush the passer in college to become an elite pass rusher in the NFL. Not saying it never happens but I'm not using a 1st round pick on a guy who didn't produce in college but could possibly improve at the next level. Especially with a ton of proven pass rushers available this year.

Ego. Teams always think they can get a guy to reach his potential because his previous coaches didn't know what they were doing or weren't using him properly. It's rare for a guy who couldn't rush the passer in college to become an elite pass rusher in the NFL. Not saying it never happens but I'm not using a 1st round pick on a guy who didn't produce in college but could possibly improve at the next level. Especially with a ton of proven pass rushers available this year.
Right, and that's when a team gets a Dion Jordan or Solomon Thomas 3rd overall and wonders how the **** it didn't pan out.

The really sad part is that one could say the same about Saturday dinner and the Canes performance that day.

And that is when you slowly drop your coffee to the floor, realizing the last 15 years of football have largely sucked.

But hope springs eternal.

True, but the Canes had the greatest team in college football history long after the Fins had done anything. Seriously when was the last time the Fins actually even smelled the title game? I was in OB for the first Fin kickoff, so I cover thier entire history. Early 70’s rivaled anything ever but but since, not much.

@Ecush who are you hoping your Bills select? @Dr.L.ThugU what are the Jets plans?
You GFYF

I don't know everyone here so don't mean to slight anyone. I want to hear who @vivijane and @redsoxb aka @Indio Cane are high on . Them 2 along with Poptimus are the best there is when it comes to draft threads going back to canesport.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Hahahaha Jarapist brought Ori aka @TheOriginalCane back to the dolphins . I remember how fvcked he was as a Bucs fan when they took Jarapist. Ori was half rustling/trolling nolies and half wishing on a star when he kept starting threads about Mariotta being the first pick that year instead of Jarapist when it was all said and done.

Jets plan on Drafting Bosa, Williams, Josh Allen.....unless a super amazing trade offer comes for them to move down. Have a feeling Broncos want to move up and trade.
That baby blue
@JBCanes-NC who tagged me is full of shlt as far me being a jets fan but he's a die hard Broncos fan so he'll be very interested in your take on the Broncos draft .

Advertisement
Tell us how happy you are about the Jets stealing the dolphags old coach.

GFYF
I want Oliver or Jonah Williams to Miami if we stay at 13 . Wouldn't mind trading down , heard maybe Houston could offer 23rd pick with a second this year (54th) and a 3rd next year to move to 13. Would love to get that pass rusher from Miss St. If he's there at 23 .

Are the Raiders gonna draft another dude out of prison like they did 2 years ago ?

Advertisement
Back