OT- New York City Posters

Advertisement
👍
Awesome.
Not to digress too much, but did you ever play "skellie?" Think I had a multicolored bottle cap at one point filled with blue and red wax.
Yep. Love that game. Also: Box Ball. Off the Point. Stickball. All you needed back then was a Spaldeen ball and your afternoon was taken care of. Great days back in the Bronx…

Yea i use to hit that Juniors since a kid

Sam's Club cheesecake > Juniors.

There, I said it. Graham cracker crust for the win.

There's also a Joe's Pizza in W-burg, right on Bedford.

And, just about any restaurant in midtown on Broadway is likely an overpriced tourist trap with underwhelming food.

Styles P Peace GIF by #1 For Hip Hop, HOT 97
The Ghost

Speaking of NY pizza and UM..... The year was 2011.

I had some serious misgivings about UM hiring the Temple coach. But, like any good mope, I still hoped for the best.

It was Labor Day, the start of a new season, and we had a new staph. I decided to treat myself to a takeout from one of my fav. pizza spots. What's better than eating good pizza and watching football?

I took a cab all the way down to Grimaldi's, ordered two pies, then took a cab all the way back to my apt. I timed everything perfectly so that I'd arrive home right before kickoff.

I spent over a $150 on pizza just to see us get WR screened to death by fuggin Maryland.

I'll never forget that. I knew that Golden wasn't the one on that day.

And, I haven't done anything elaborate food wise for a Canes game since.

/cool story bro.

Advertisement
Sam's Club cheesecake > Juniors.

There, I said it. Graham cracker crust for the win.

There's also a Joe's Pizza in W-burg, right on Bedford.

And, just about any restaurant in midtown on Broadway is likely an overpriced tourist trap with underwhelming food.
Sam's Club better than Juniors??....in what world???

Speaking of NY pizza and UM..... The year was 2011.

I had some serious misgivings about UM hiring the Temple coach. But, like any good mope, I still hoped for the best.

It was Labor Day, the start of a new season, and we had a new staph. I decided to treat myself to a takeout from one of my fav. pizza spots. What's better than eating good pizza and watching football?

I took a cab all the way down to Grimaldi's, ordered two pies, then took a cab all the way back to my apt. I timed everything perfectly so that I'd arrive home right before kickoff.

I spent over a $150 on pizza just to see us get WR screened to death by fuggin Maryland.

I'll never forget that. I knew that Golden wasn't the one on that day.

And, I haven't done anything elaborate food wise for a Canes game since.

/cool story bro.
Grimaldi's is nothing like it used to be....same for Totonnos...

If you're staying in the BX /Harlem:

Pizza:
1. Louie and Ernies (Morris Park). It's off the 6.
2. Nicks (Gunhill)

Beef Patties:
1. Kingston Tropical (White Plains Rd)

Cuchifrito (PR Food):
1. Fordham. Take the D to 188 and it's right there.
2. 116 and Lex, walk towards 3rd Avenue and it's right there

Chino/Latino
1. Sabrosura (Tremont, BX)

Fish and Chips (Harlem):
1. Taste of Seafood
2. Famous Fish

I got spots for days. Just depends if you'll be uptown or not.

Advertisement
Sam's Club better than Juniors??....in what world???

It's a matter of preference, of course. I'm not feeling the sponge cake crust. I'd take a cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory (if it still exists) or Sam's over Juniors.

I haven't had Totonno's in a bit. Not willing trek to Coney Island just for pizza.

Which Grimaldi's are you referring to? The one in Dumbo or the one in the limelight?

The old spot in Dumbo, where Juliana's is now, was fire.

It's a matter of preference, of course. I'm not feeling the sponge cake crust. I'd take a cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory (if it still exists) or Sam's over Juniors.

I haven't had Totonno's in a bit. Not willing trek to Coney Island just for pizza.

Which Grimaldi's are you referring to? The one in Dumbo or the one in the limelight?

The old spot in Dumbo, where Juliana's is now, was fire.
The Old spot was the best. Totonnos isn't the same. Totonno was Lombardi's original Pizza maker, before going off on his own and opening Totonno's in Coney Island. Since Lombardi's is America's 1st Pizzeria, then Totonno was America's 1st Pizza maker. Lombardi never made Pizza....he manned the register.

Bus or 2 train...
2 is local, good if you have some reading to get down. The green lines are express. Will take you to Lex & 125th. We have train and bike maps in NY, too. Those are informative. You can also get on a citibike and ride the Greenway on the west side of Manhattan and actually see sh*t.

Tough to answer first one. Depends on what side of Harlem you're on where in BK you're going but it's either going to be the west side highway down to a bridge or east side FDR down to a bridge

I personally don't mess with the subway but plenty of options there just depends what side of town you're on and where you're going in BK

Best is a matter of preference, but get you some pizza in BK at Lucali or Patsy's in Harlem

Hit up Emily or PJ Clarke's for a burger
Don't mess with the subway? You ride a longboard on your commute from Kew Gardens to Penn Station every day, hommie?

Advertisement
Looks like everyone got you some good info. Lived in Harlem my whole life, only recommendation I can add is the bus is SLOW, if you going more than 20 blocks then that means you need a train, not a bus.

Oh and when you in Brooklyn if someone asks you for the time, don’t pull out ya phone 😂

While we're on the topic. Anyone here living in or near Central BK (Prospect Heights, Park Slope, Bed Stuy, Crown Heights, Flatbush)? I've descended on a pretty good sports bar on Washington Ave just south of Atlantic. UGA hosts some viewing parties at it. Drop a line if you're ever interested in catching "U" at a neighborhood bar.

Maybe I’m getting bougie in my old age but, stay off the subways brother @gogeta4 Last I checked before Covid that **** was getting like a dark version of Gotham City. Looking by the daily reports I see it’s only getting worse. Get a rental, Uber, train, helicopter…anything but the subway. I just want you to be safe.
Don't believe this BS.

Advertisement
BBest way to get to BK from Harlem?. Depends on what you're trying to do... (Not sure why you're going to Myrtle and BWay - much better places to visit in BK but do you.)

Best pizza spots?. Babbalucci on Malcolm X in Harlem is a good place to start. Get the "Dear John" and add *sausage to it.

Best Burger?... Corner Bistro in West Village; get the cup of chilli to start and a side of fries.

Lets ride NYC yo sons....help a brother out
Guaranteed best Pie and Burger you'll have in NYC...

Stick to the script, and you can thank me later..

The Old spot was the best. Totonnos isn't the same. Totonno was Lombardi's original Pizza maker, before going off on his own and opening Totonno's in Coney Island. Since Lombardi's is America's 1st Pizzeria, then Totonno was America's 1st Pizza maker. Lombardi never made Pizza....he manned the register.

I'm somewhat familiar with this. Some years ago, I watched a show on the history of NY pizza.

The older gentleman who own's Juliana's is named Patsy Grimaldi. His uncle was the original Patsy, of Patsy's pizza. Uncle Patsy's widow sold Patsy's pizza to an employee.

Patsy Grimaldi then opened Grimaldi's. He retired and sold sold Grimadi's to someone else.

Then, Patsy Grimaldi came out of retirement and reopened a new pizza spot, Juliana's, named after his mother, in the exact same location of the old Grimaldi's pizza.

Interesting stuff.

I've met Patsy Grimaldi a few times at Juliana's. He's the nicest old guy that you'll ever meet.

He told me himself that Grimaldi's doesn't do things the "right way."

On a somewhat related note. Vice has an interesting doc called 'A Slice of Pie'. It's about NYC pizzerias and the mob. I didn't know that so many have been used to launder money. I guess that explains why many are cash only.

I'm somewhat familiar with this. Some years ago, I watched a show on the history of NY pizza.

The older gentleman who own's Juliana's is named Patsy Grimaldi. His uncle was the original Patsy, of Patsy's pizza. Uncle Patsy's widow sold Patsy's pizza to an employee.

Patsy Grimaldi then opened Grimaldi's. He retired and sold sold Grimadi's to someone else.

Then, Patsy Grimaldi came out of retirement and reopened a new pizza spot, Juliana's, named after his mother, in the exact same location of the old Grimaldi's pizza.

Interesting stuff.

I've met Patsy Grimaldi a few times at Juliana's. He's the nicest old guy that you'll ever meet.

He told me himself that Grimaldi's doesn't do things the "right way."

On a somewhat related note. Vice has an interesting doc called 'A Slice of Pie'. It's about NYC pizzerias and the mob. I didn't know that so many have been used to launder money. I guess that explains why many are cash only.
I was going to all those pizzerias you mentioned as a kid in the 60s...I'm Brooklyn born, with a father who owned a Deli in Brooklyn.

Advertisement
Back