OT: Move to Tampa/St. Pete Area

Shogun

Recruit
Premium
A new job and a relocation appears to be on the horizon. Any recommendations on where to house hunt? Looking to stay under $500k, 2 elementary school kids, and fine with a 30 minute commute. The office is located in St. Petersburg not too far from the Howard Frankland Bridge near Old Tampa Bay. Thanks in advance.

[]_[]

Advertisement
I’d try to stay Safety Harbor or North of that if we ever moved back. Tarpon Springs is great but may be a little far.

Advertisement
Where you coming from as a comparison? The closer you can get to the water, the better. I had some kids live in some nice neighborhoods nearby a good sized lake close to downtown. I personally like their downtown - but it has the normal issues any comparable sized downtown has. I have always been a little shocked at the winter population of homeless there. Good luck.

We lived on Treasure Island on the inside water for a couple years. Was wonderful. I worked on the island and fishing was great right off the back yard dock. Caught several huge snook. It was many years ago so I have no idea pricing now. West coast beaches are great. Becareful where that afternoon sun hit you house -- it is a true buring ***** in the summer. But Sunsets are cool.

Advertisement
stay away! We are full! Seriously though.

Whats your max commute? Distance, time etc Etc.

If you want to try tampa and commute to St Pete, look at the oldsmar/Town and Country/Citrus park area, or the South Tampa/Gandy/Mcdill AFB area. Both areas are close to bridges to get you to St Pete. S Tampa is south of I4, TnC is north of I4. South Tampa is a lil more expensive as that's where most of the lawyers, doctors, athletes stay. Both areas are nice with TnC probably having the better selection of school.

Advertisement
We love St. Pete...have some good friends there. But the elementary /middle schools are terrible last we checked. If I recall there is a lottery to get into a decent school.

Advertisement
You guys who live in the St Pete area better go to Rays games when baseball starts back up. No more of this 2,000 people at the game bull****. Support your ******* team.

South Tampa is a good place to look, very good public schools and close proximity to all major sporting events.
However, traffic is horrible and the neighborhood is prone to flooding. You also will have very little to no back yard.
My dad recently purchased a 1,100 square foot home for $299,000.

If you want a little more home and land, for the same price, look in the Odessa/Lutz part of Tampa. Many of the wrestlers/pro athletes live back there. Also, you can take the veterans into St Pete, but then again, traffic on that rode is brutal during rush hour.

As far as St. Pete, no clue, hardly ever cross over that bridge. Have heard good things about Palm Harbor area

T Springs off the chain. Been there a couple times to get wasted with some Greek friends.
I had a Buddy who chefed at The Greek Salad (No longer there) on the Sponge Docks in the Mid 80s....He lived right off if Dodacanese Blvd....Another Buddy Chefed at the Riverhouse Rest (Also gone) the same time....I used to go to Plaka One for there Gyro's....best I've had....

Advertisement
Back