OT: Miami Law

406Cane

Freshman
I'm in the process of applying to law schools for the 2017-18 year...I've got a pretty good LSAT score and a pretty decent GPA, and UM is one of my top choices. I really want to get into taxation, and it sounds like they have a good program there for that.

Solid school?

Advertisement
Funny forum to choose for this, but I happen to know the answer. Depends on what you want to do. A good general rule is go T14 if you can get in, otherwise take a full ride from a lesser school if you get one. No money and not a top school? May want to consider a different career path.

Next consideration - Staying in Miami (or Florida)? Then UM is fine. Still will need to finish top 25% at least to get a good job.

Finally - tax. UF is a better school for tax than UM, but Georgetown and NYU are the two schools really known for tax law. If you are really set on tax, you can do an LLM at NYU or Georgetown after the JD. Note that you will not get paid more for having the LLM, but it is a quasi-prerequisite to getting jobs at the major law firms in NYC, etc. (unless you have a T14 degree, then the LLM isn't necessary).

Good luck.

Short answer: if you aren't planning to go to a T14 and want to stay in Florida, then UM is more than sufficient (tax or not)

You aren't going to not get a job because you went to UF over UM (or vice versa).

Recently graduated from the law school so PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If miami is the tier you are looking in, then the answer is go where the financial aid is the best.

UM for the JD is fine. If you are going into taxation, LLM after JD is essential at most firms. If you change and decide to go into Title 9 litigation, FSU and the University of Tennessee will keep you busy for the rest of your life.

I graduated from UM Law in '96, and for the last 5 years I have been an adjunct professor. My nephew is a first year student now and loves it. I thought UM Law provided me with an excellent education and if you are staying in South Florida, you cannot go wrong (absent an Ivy).

Advertisement
They still doing Beer on the Bricks on Fridays over there or did Shalala ruin that too?

They still doing Beer on the Bricks on Fridays over there or did Shalala ruin that too?

I was there 04-07, we had beer at the rat on Thursdays while hearing stories of the beer on the bricks.

The law school is a great school, but like any private school it is expensive. My biggest piece of advise is to make the most affordable choice possible, especially if you are not planning on working in the area after you graduate. The school you go to is only relevant to the extent that it is 1) accredited and will allow you to sit for any state bar; 2) is an elite school (otherwise school is meaningless); or 3) you plan on working in the area (attend school in area you want to work as you will make invaluable connections).

I got a great education at Miami, but I practice in Virginia and Maryland where there are only a few of us.

Advertisement
[MENTION=11464]406Cane[/MENTION] The Cayman Islands is always nice this time of year, just keep that in mind when looking for your first job offer out of law school. An there is always work for an expat Tax Attorney in the Cayman's and the British V.I.'s. Good Luck

Go Canes

i go to the law school now and it was nice to get some extra football seasons even though we havent been great. if you have a good lsat and gpa you will get a big scholarship

Advertisement
Also if you want to know about how the school is in a general sense, its obviously a really nice campus. Lot of hot girls. The city is expensive. Not too many house parties, definitely a club scene.The Rathskeller is a great place to hang out, and there's always law students there drinking. All the sporting events are free, though driving to the football games ******* blows. Basically if you can afford it comfortably, you'll be making a great decision coming here; also note, they do give out quite a bit of financial aid if you need it.

Advertisement
Back