OT: Miami Law

Advertisement
Apparently watching Caddyshack to get caught up on St Copious of Northern Nebraska.

Miami is an average law school with an expensive price tag. If you have strong LSATs/GPA, the only way you should consider going is if they throw a ton of money at you. UF and FSU have better reputations with much lower cost.

This is not correct. FSU has no reputation at all outside of Tally. If you plan to practice biglaw, UF or UM are the only reasonable choices for you in Florida.
-UM Law graduate at Biglaw NOT in Florida

Last time I checked FSU was a top 50 law school for half the tuition of Miami. If your goal is to work in Big Law (I'd personally rather spend my day banging my head against a wall) you'll need to finish in the top 10% of your class (perhaps better) at Miami or FSU. So why pay the tuition for Miami?

Advertisement
Miami is an average law school with an expensive price tag. If you have strong LSATs/GPA, the only way you should consider going is if they throw a ton of money at you. UF and FSU have better reputations with much lower cost.

This is not correct. FSU has no reputation at all outside of Tally. If you plan to practice biglaw, UF or UM are the only reasonable choices for you in Florida.

Last time I checked FSU was a top 50 law school for half the tuition of Miami. If your goal is to work in Big Law (I'd personally rather spend my day banging my head against a wall) you'll need to finish in the top 10% of your class (perhaps better) at Miami or FSU. So why pay the tuition for Miami?
[MENTION=10]weownfsu[/MENTION] @mcgaheetotheheisman

[MENTION=10]weownfsu[/MENTION] @mcgaheetotheheisman

Which law school will ensure that I will not have to ration fruits and vegetables in my household?

@tcbananas1014 [MENTION=2916]CanEs4life04[/MENTION] [MENTION=10]weownfsu[/MENTION] @mabuse

TCGrab's disdain for UM School of Law is well known as he defecates on UM School of Law every chance he can.

Advertisement

TCGrab's disdain for UM School of Law is well known as he defecates on UM School of Law every chance he can.

It's because he never graduated from UM law and was presumably kicked out.

What else am I supposed to do with a toilet?

What else am I supposed to do with a toilet?

If [MENTION=7331]DC Dog Nuts[/MENTION] got the ziggy from this site for being an anti-UM troll, I don't know how you're still here. Mods, please send TCGrab to Thunderdome.

Advertisement

Miami gives a substantial amount of scholarship money to those with even moderately good LSAT and GPAs.

Big Law hiring: it's true that they recruit from the top 10% of the class at schools like FSU. At the larger city schools, like Miami for instance, there are a number of Big Law associates hired from outside the top 10% because they make connections with partners and work clerkships or internships during school. Those opportunities don't really exist at FSU.

On working at Big Law: with the exception of the very few successful solos and bleeding hearts out there, the only people who say they don't want to work Big Law are people who can't hack it or get into a big firm. I personally enjoy working on the most sophisticated and complex deals while being paid at the top of the pay scale. The best in-house positions usually require their hires to have Big Law experience because the training and experience is considered the best. If that's not your thing, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

Miami gives a substantial amount of scholarship money to those with even moderately good LSAT and GPAs.

Big Law hiring: it's true that they recruit from the top 10% of the class at schools like FSU. At the larger city schools, like Miami for instance, there are a number of Big Law associates hired from outside the top 10% because they make connections with partners and work clerkships or internships during school. Those opportunities don't really exist at FSU.

On working at Big Law: with the exception of the very few successful solos and bleeding hearts out there, the only people who say they don't want to work Big Law are people who can't hack it or get into a big firm. I personally enjoy working on the most sophistacated and complex deals while being paid at the top of the pay scale. If that's not your thing, well, I don't know what to tell you.
I'd rather work on sophisticated deals.

On working at Big Law: with the exception of the very few successful solos and bleeding hearts out there, the only people who say they don't want to work Big Law are people who can't hack it or get into a big firm. I personally enjoy working on the most sophistacated and complex deals while being paid at the top of the pay scale. If that's not your thing, well, I don't know what to tell you.
I'd rather work on sophisticated deals.

Thanks for the spellcheck--corrected it.

Advertisement

On working at Big Law: with the exception of the very few successful solos and bleeding hearts out there, the only people who say they don't want to work Big Law are people who can't hack it or get into a big firm. I personally enjoy working on the most sophisticated and complex deals while being paid at the top of the pay scale. The best in-house positions usually require their hires to have Big Law experience because the training and experience is considered the best. If that's not your thing, well, I don't know what to tell you.

That's great that you enjoy what you do. I'd rather have a midget punch me in the nuts once an hour around the clock than have your career, but I'm not judging. To each their own.

As for Miami law, sure if they are giving you a 50%+ scholarship, and your only other options are 2nd tier schools, maybe it's worth considering. I would think though that if Miami is throwing 30K/year at you, your numbers are probably good enough to get in to a much better school.

L
O
L

image.jpg

Putting aside bdm's ridiculous statement that only people who can't hack it would want to avoid big law (I had no interest in an 80 hour workweek doing research for the first three years, so I went to work for the government, get paid well and have never really worked over a 40 hr week while also doing interesting things ), bdm does point out the one big advantage of UM over FSU or UF. Big city means big law firms. Better chance at landing summer associate gig or just being an unpaid intern during school year to become familiar to them (especially if you can't land summer associate gig) . Networking is important, as you might have friends who are better students who do land big time gigs, and that can pay off down the road. Have to weigh that against greater debt you'll probably incur at UM. If you know you want to practice law and make money, UM probably gets the edge. If unsure and think a law degree will just open doors, save yourself from the loans and go to an in state school.

Advertisement
Back