OT: Miami Law

Advertisement
I am a 36 year Florida lawyer, big firm, title, done a lot of hiring. Some law schools get you interviews that you would not get if you went to another school. Yale, and the like get you in lots of doors. But, performance is perhaps more important. Top 10 at UM will be better that bottom 50% from UVa unless you are looking in VA, DC or the like. Being number one from UF, FSU, UM or Stetson will get you interviews at most places in Florida. A few national firms will not give you a shot but they are few and are trying to land the top 1% nationally. Money is also very important. If you want to practice in Florida and can pick between UF, FSU, Stetson, or UM, go with the one with the best money. Once in law school hit it hard, very hard. Law review, trial teams all will open doors. Do not lock in on tax right away, heck we may have a flat tax in 2 years..............If you have connections with law firms USE THEM. Get clerking jobs so that they can see you are a great worker that they must hire. Connections even help the top prospects. Remember, it is getting the job that is critical not having a great wall of sheepskin! Good luck.

Advertisement
Miami is an average law school with an expensive price tag. If you have strong LSATs/GPA, the only way you should consider going is if they throw a ton of money at you. UF and FSU have better reputations with much lower cost.

I went to UM Law for 2 days, then asked myself, what the **** am I doing here. I still have the ID to prove it.

Advertisement
Recently graduated from UM Law. If you have to pay the equivalent of an FSU or UF tuition after their scholly offer, go to those places instead. In fact, go to either of them instead regardless. I can't tell you how many times I have witnessed firms give their graduates preference over UM students. BUT, if you end up going the LLM route, it will open up many more opportunities than are regularly given to UM grads.

Bottom line: if money is no object and you think you can graduate in the top 10 (you can't) then go for it. But if you don't have solid connections with firms then you will play **** getting a private sector gig after. I ended up carving my own path and am doing well, but I am a major exception.

EDIT: [MENTION=1034]McGahee2TheHouse[/MENTION] = G.F.?

Advertisement
Recently graduated from UM Law. If you have to pay the equivalent of an FSU or UF tuition after their scholly offer, go to those places instead. In fact, go to either of them instead regardless. I can't tell you how many times I have witnessed firms give their graduates preference over UM students. BUT, if you end up going the LLM route, it will open up many more opportunities than are regularly given to UM grads.

Bottom line: if money is no object and you think you can graduate in the top 10 (you can't) then go for it. But if you don't have solid connections with firms then you will play **** getting a private sector gig after. I ended up carving my own path and am doing well, but I am a major exception.

EDIT: [MENTION=1034]McGahee2TheHouse[/MENTION] = G.F.?

?

I enjoyed UM law. If you aren't sure about practicing I would recommend going to the least expensive (echoing unless you get into top tier school). I moved from Oregon and passed on scholarships to go to UM, but I've bled orange and green since I came out the *******. Fortunately, I get paid well enough to handle the student loans (I went into policy field instead of law, but the degree served me well). And yes, Rubio is a UM law grad as well as is Reince Priebus, who heads the Republican National Committee

Didn't even know Miami had a law school. I guess the world needs ambulance chasers.

Your chromosomally challenged Redneck **** wouldn't know because you're not a Cane. I still don't know why the mods haven't got rid of you and your mouth-breathing schtick.

Advertisement
Miami is an average law school with an expensive price tag. If you have strong LSATs/GPA, the only way you should consider going is if they throw a ton of money at you. UF and FSU have better reputations with much lower cost.

This is not correct. FSU has no reputation at all outside of Tally. If you plan to practice biglaw, UF or UM are the only reasonable choices for you in Florida.
-UM Law graduate at Biglaw NOT in Florida

Last edited:
Didn't even know Miami had a law school. I guess the world needs ambulance chasers.

Your chromosomally challenged Redneck **** wouldn't know because you're not a Cane. I still don't know why the mods haven't got rid of you and your mouth-breathing schtick.

I could give two shts about the law school at Miami or anything else academically related to the school. I dont watch college football because of a schools acadmic standing or advanced degrees offered. You're barking up the wrong tree dummy.

I could give two shts about the law school at Miami or anything else academically related to the school. I dont watch college football because of a schools acadmic standing or advanced degrees offered. You're barking up the wrong tree dummy.

Thanks Mods.

Advertisement
Back