OT: Mass Shooting at Douglas High School

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all prayers for all of those affected. This violence is senseless and disgusting that its becoming the norm. These are my thoughts and I don't really care to argue back and forth with anyone; its a polarizing subject and we're likely ingrained with our beliefs already. I was a political science major at UM and in law school now, not that it makes me any more qualified than anyone else, but I've always had an interest in politics and government.

I come from Indiana, which I think politically is about as ***-backwards as it gets or certainly up there, and from a town that is extremely conservative. Most of my family however leans left on most issues and are very against guns. I personally own three guns, since I enjoy target shooting as a hobby and feel safer having one in my home than not. Despite this, I think our country is at the point where are laws aren't working. I'm a believer in the 2nd Amendment, but our forefathers could not have envisioned the technology and scope of repercussions we see today.

Twice I've walked in and out of gun shops in 10 minutes with no prior wait time when purchasing a weapon. Although the convenience can be nice, the amount of people getting guns that shouldn't is not worth it. Yes there will always be shootings, and yes people will find illegal means to obtain weapons. Nobody is clamoring that all crimes would be reduced, but even if some people are deterred by newer regulations, or the amount of shootings in our country drop even a few percentages, then it is more than worth it for everyone to be slightly more inconvenienced.

The status quo isn't working, and this isn't happening in any other civilized country in the world. Americans will always have guns, but its our duty to do everything we can as a country to make changes to reduce the instances of this happening at the rate that it is.

Advertisement
Can anyone pull up the homicide rate in countries that have band guns before and after? Obviously gun homicide will have gone done..but Did the homicide rate go up? What about violent crime: rape, home invasion, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the argument of NRA bobbleheads^ . Of course localized gun laws don't work. As soon as someone brings up nations with stricter gun laws that DIRECTLY CORRELATE to less deaths you tuck your tail and change the argument. Tell us how free you are when your children and childrens children are cowering under their desks.

More laws aren’t the answer and stricter gun laws will only take guns from law abiding citizens. Criminals will always get what they want no matter what bans or laws are in place. Parents are responsible for this. Teach your kids right from wrong and that there are consequences for your actions. Some kids aren’t being raised right anymore.

More laws aren’t the answer and stricter gun laws will only take guns from law abiding citizens. Criminals will always get what they want no matter what bans or laws are in place. Parents are responsible for this. Teach your kids right from wrong and that there are consequences for your actions. Some kids aren’t being raised right anymore.

Youre regurgitating failed NRA talking points of the last 25 years. Im a law abiding citizen and i took a safety course, registered my weapon, and obtained a concealed weapons permit. Why is this not the minimum level of responsibility for everyone. Its harder to buy f'n cold medicine than a shotgun.

Meat, made a good point pointing to a "cultural change".

Referring only to "teen initiated" gun violence, you would be hard pressed not to see a correlation with the advent of First Person Shooter video games, etc.

Too many kids today, spend way too much time in the game cloud.
We need to counteract with more participation in youth Sports programs for starters IMO.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Meat, made a good point pointing to a "cultural change".

Referring only to "teen initiated" gun violence, you would be hard pressed not to see a correlation with the advent of First Shooter video games, etc.

Too many kids today, spend way too much time in the game cloud.
We need to counteract with more participation in youth Sports programs for starters IMO.

LOL dumbass conservatives. Music, not going to church, weed, minorities, anything else i'm forgetting that cause people kill to people each other ?

Last edited:
Not going to happen as long as the NRA is funneling $$$$ to our parasitic legislators. (Who are mostly useless anyway.)
Man I am a proud gun owner and I value my second amendmant rights. But something has to be done!!!! How the **** are these crazy ******** getting hold of guns and then flying under the radar? Atleast until they do **** like this.... One issue is that there is absolutely no accountability in the gun industry, they push the narrative that equates accountability with loss of rights. I have a lot of thoughts regarding this but this aint the place. I pray for all those affected and for the families that experienced loss due to this. I am also glad they caught that SOB alive.

Advertisement
Can’t we have SOME laws punishing those who sell or otherwise provide firearms to people who are obviously mentally ill? I feel like someone wearing a tinfoil hat (because aliens are trying to read his mind) could walk into one of these gun shows and purchase a semiautomatic rifle with no questions at all.

LOL dumbass conservatives. Music, not going to church, weed, minorities, anything else i'm forgetting that cause people kill to people each other ?

The common denominator in most of these mass shootings are not conservatives but democrats. The psychopathic shooter is a registered Democrat and was seen wearing an ANTIFA communist shirt. He also followed Syrian & Iraqi resistance fighter groups on Facebook. Facts the media won’t tell you.
But somehow this is all Trump’s fault? Gfys libtard.

Gun violence and today’s youth DO need to be addressed. Gun laws DO NOT need to be addressed. Bad guys aka the ones responsible for these school shootings will ALWAYS find ways to obtain firearms (burglaries, stealing them from idiots who leave them in their cars, etc)
Making it harder to for good citizens to obtain them isn’t the answer.

Is it legal for a private citizen to sell his ar15 to anyone. Or not ha e to report it “stolen” or give it to a relative. If so then gun laws do need the be addressed

The common denominator in most of these mass shootings are not conservatives but democrats. The psychopathic shooter is a registered Democrat and was seen wearing an ANTIFA communist shirt. He also followed Syrian & Iraqi resistance fighter groups on Facebook. Facts the media won’t tell you.
But somehow this is all Trump’s fault? Gfys libtard.

LOL somebody get this loser some tin foil

Advertisement
Please don't make this political. It's not about guns. Remember PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE. What we need to do is address all the mental health issues because it takes some kind of crazy ******* to do something like this.

Prayers for everyone affected.

Prayers are illegal in schools remember, so is the teaching of the Bible as truth. The golden rule, love your neighbor as yourself was taught when I was growing up in school, but you can't teach what our Creator says anymore in schools, so what should we expect.

There are crazy people all over the world. But we have the most school shootings and public massacres. I’m a gun owner and former military but something has to happen.

I’m with you. I’m a gun owner with a CW permit. What’s happening is insane. Background checks need to include health records and social media combing. You need a driving test to get a license. Any visual or cognitive impairments will get your driving privileges limited. If you are turning senile, you driving privileges will be revoked. Why can’t we have that for gun ownership?

If you’re a good guy, fine. Just go through the testing and the added extreme vetting. You pass, you can own a bazooka, no one cares. You fail, no guns for you.

Advertisement
You might not like the argument, but it's still true.

Lee Harvey Oswald ordered the rifle he used to kill Kennedy in the mail. He used a fake name. It was delivered in a box to his front door. You can't do that anymore... if you buy a gun online, you have to pick it up at a gun store, who have to run your ID.

The mobsters of the past used chain guns and machine guns. They also ordered these by mail. Automatic weapons have been illegal since the 80's, and, again, you can't order guns to your front door anymore.

So yes, guns are harder to get today than they used to be... yet we have far more violence today. Why is that?
Lee Harvey Oswald could not have bought an M 14

I had to go through one of the most stringent processes in the country to legally purchase my Beretta 92m9 here in NJ.
I was fine with that.

Stricter laws for purchasing guns.
If you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Pretty simple.

Prayers to all those families affected by this tragedy today.

I think one of the problems here is calling things like this "gun violence"......we put a label and that dictates the discussion. If this happened at mall instead of gun violence it becomes terrorism and then we talk about that. A crazy person did a crazy thing today!! lets focus on that.

We've had shootings in CA, Tx, NY, Alabama, Wa and NM THIS YEAR ALONE.....and we can all agree every single one of those states has a different culture/environment so its not just "rednecks raising their kids with guns". There is a connection between all these crazy kids (and i think the domestic terrorists also). The issue isnt gun violence, there is something wrong with these particular crazy kids. Thats what we need to discus. Whats driving these kids, all with different socioeconomic backgrounds. lets focus our efforts on that connection.

I feel like even if there was no gun control in other developed countries, school shootings would be rare. Theres something so ****ed up in the USA that makes school shootings a relatively common act of violence. Gun control should impede some of these killers and that would be worth it but something needs to be done with the mental health of the country thats clearly deteriorating. You don't see criminals and gangbangers shooting up schools, these are some other kind of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back