OT (Kind of): Basketball Team Help

After reading Coach L's explanation of letting Cross go, it becomes apparent that he is too set in his ways, which currently is not getting any
positive results, to really adapt his game to personnel that he even recruits. This is a sign of age and it seems as time has caught up with him.

Advertisement
Scumbags win in college athletics

Man please, scumbag Pitino would have us on probation in 2 years...and LOL at you thinking our administration would even consider hiring Pitino.

Give me another Leonard Hamilton, or a Jay Wright or Tony Bennett type and I'm Gucci.

If the AD won't fire coaches from the FB program, what makes anyone think he has the balls to get involved with the BB program? IMHO, Coach L has lost the team. Some of the players do what they want on the court, knowing he does not have enough players on the bench to replace them. I will be interested to see if changes are made, once the season is over.

If the AD won't fire coaches from the FB program, what makes anyone think he has the balls to get involved with the BB program? IMHO, Coach L has lost the team. Some of the players do what they want on the court, knowing he does not have enough players on the bench to replace them. I will be interested to see if changes are made, once the season is over.

The AD isn't going to fire assistant coaches from the football program. That's the HCs job. I dislike James as much as anyone, but who did you expect him to fire that he hasn't? He fired Al Golden. Richt? He wasn't getting fired after his third year, especially after winning 10 games the season prior. Diaz after first year? Come on, Bro.

I think James has some financial constraints that he has to take into consideration where big public schools don't. If Larranaga is owed for 3 more years and prob makes 2+ mil per year, that's 6-7 million that has to be made up somehow. Bball at Miami doesn't get the kind of donations that football (or even baseball) does. Coach L definitely needs to go, but Miami is stuck unless he pulls a Richt and willingly leaves millions on the table. I don't see that happening. It's got nothing to do with James having balls or not. It's a money issue. Best case is that Coach L sees the writing on the wall and takes a different job elsewhere, so Miami can offset his salary. Still costs us money, but a lot less.

Then go big and get Pitino. I don't care that he's a scumbag. He's coaching college BB right now (at Iona) so it's not like Miami would be bringing in some coach that's been completely blackballed from the college HC ranks. All big time D1 Bball coaches have dirty hands- yes, even Coach L. I think the ACC would even secretly be happy about Miami landing Pitino because it's a basketball conference and Miami having a championship caliber BB team would generate plenty of additional revenue.

As someone else said, basketball is easily the one sport that can have a near instaneous turnaround with the right coach. I think Miami could turn into a basketball powerhouse within 3 years with the right HC, the NIL opportunities, and one and done players wanting to spend that year having fun in Miami instead of freezing their balls off in the winter at UNC or Kentucky.

Advertisement
**** no to Pitino, waaaaaay to much baggage with that guy, scumbag.

You know who think certain coaches are scumbags, the teams who aren't competing or winning national championships.

All of America thought Jimmy Johnson was a scumbag. Most thought the same of Erickson. Do I care, **** no and I wouldn't label either a scumbag.

Urban is labeled a scumbag by most here. I say sign him up. Same with Saban. The only national championship coach I don't remember most other fans hating was Coker.

His buyout would stop us from getting a big name. I’d rather talk him into retirement

You know who think certain coaches are scumbags, the teams who aren't competing or winning national championships.

All of America thought Jimmy Johnson was a scumbag. Most thought the same of Erickson. Do I care, **** no and I wouldn't label either a scumbag.

Urban is labeled a scumbag by most here. I say sign him up. Same with Saban. The only national championship coach I don't remember most other fans hating was Coker.

Did any of those coaches that you named have an extramarital affair and screwed their mistresses in a booth in a restaurant?

Did any of those coaches that you named have an extramarital affair and screwed their mistresses in a booth in a restaurant?
Probably. Who knows? I definitely wouldn't be one to vouch for the next man's infidelities' and neither should you. 99% of men are only as faithful as their options. I'm not saying men don't use poor judgment at times, but last check you're not committing a crime or breaking any laws if you have a side piece.

Same goes with NCAA violations. Every program has broken at least a rule or 2 to try and get ahead. This notion that only successful programs do it is very misleading. Difference between successful programs and the flailing ones are that some know how to do it better than others, but they all bend and break rules. What's the saying? If you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying.

GO CANES!!

Advertisement
Been saying it on the basketball board to fire Larrenga for awhile but get downvoted to oblivion. He should just retire man, been here 10 years it’s been consist bad recruiting and taking god awful transfers. I stopped watching when our only starting frontcourt option was trash *** waardenburg for 3 f’ing seasons
And there’s a chance he might come back next year.

Basketball in my opinion is an “easier” sport to get to a national title.

Think about it for basketball you only need to find the right 12-15 kids. For a small private institution like us that’s much more cost effective than a football team where you need to get 70% of your 85 man roster being a 4 or 5 start to even sniff the Bama’s and Clemsons’s of the world.

if you find the right coach a la Rick Pitino or even Frank Martin you’ll generate the interests that will drive people to the games. If we stop playing such a weak *** non conference schedule and throw in some tough home and homes with some established programs then you can get this thing rolling.

As far as the whole well there’s not enough talent in the area well..Florida has won what 2 championships, if I’m being honest FSU had a great shot of winning one last year, so it certainly can be done. I mean look this South Florida area alone has been responsible for a number of solid players before they eventually move on to Monteverde or any other one of those prep schools in the Orlando area. Just off the top of my head you have the Balsa Koprivica (Palm Beach) kid at FSU, Scottie Barnes (Palm Beach) FSU, Trent Frasier (Palm Beach) Illinois, Vernon Carey Jr (Broward) Duke, Dewan Hernandez (Dade) Miami. I’m sure if I researched it I could find more as well.

overall what this long winded post is trying to say is basketball down here can absolutely blast off and be a power. Our administration just has to be willing to invest in a coach that’s got “star power”. Also, what’s cooler than Miami? Nothing Adidas needs to start getting creative with out jerseys and looks for basketball to further entice the kids to come!

ill end this all with #FireCoachL give me some new blood!

Bro; and to ur point, out of the 12-15 kids on the roster, only 2 need to be stars and the rest can be solid to good role players to turn the tide. I agree, it is much easier to win a CBB title than a CFB title, and North - South Fla has produced some fine players, but u can up to GA, TX, or LA to pick some gems, too.

I know this is the football board and I know a lot of you couldn’t give a **** about our basketball team, but we need you all to help us Canes Basketball fans organize a way to drive up the heat on that joke of an AD Blake James to fire Coach Larrañaga!!! The team is god awful, they have about a million injuries because god knows what they are doing in practice. This is 3 years in a row and changes need to be made. What I’m asking is for the same fans who led the Golden charge to start throwing out #FireCoachL on Twitter so we can get James’ attention!
You are over estimating the power of this board.

I couldn't rightly say what they did off of the court, nor do I care. Much the same as what anyone does as long as both are consenting adults. I don't approve of extramarital affairs, but if I used that as baseline for athletes and coaches, I doubt many would be left to like.

Advertisement
The AD isn't going to fire assistant coaches from the football program. That's the HCs job. I dislike James as much as anyone, but who did you expect him to fire that he hasn't? He fired Al Golden. Richt? He wasn't getting fired after his third year, especially after winning 10 games the season prior. Diaz after first year? Come on, Bro.

I think James has some financial constraints that he has to take into consideration where big public schools don't. If Larranaga is owed for 3 more years and prob makes 2+ mil per year, that's 6-7 million that has to be made up somehow. Bball at Miami doesn't get the kind of donations that football (or even baseball) does. Coach L definitely needs to go, but Miami is stuck unless he pulls a Richt and willingly leaves millions on the table. I don't see that happening. It's got nothing to do with James having balls or not. It's a money issue. Best case is that Coach L sees the writing on the wall and takes a different job elsewhere, so Miami can offset his salary. Still costs us money, but a lot less.

Then go big and get Pitino. I don't care that he's a scumbag. He's coaching college BB right now (at Iona) so it's not like Miami would be bringing in some coach that's been completely blackballed from the college HC ranks. All big time D1 Bball coaches have dirty hands- yes, even Coach L. I think the ACC would even secretly be happy about Miami landing Pitino because it's a basketball conference and Miami having a championship caliber BB team would generate plenty of additional revenue.

As someone else said, basketball is easily the one sport that can have a near instaneous turnaround with the right coach. I think Miami could turn into a basketball powerhouse within 3 years with the right HC, the NIL opportunities, and one and done players wanting to spend that year having fun in Miami instead of freezing their balls off in the winter at UNC or Kentucky.
The AD has the power to terminate contracts of anyone working in the Athletic Department. He would normally got to the head coach first and let him do the firing, but if that coach is too stubborn to do the deed, he could step in and do it for him.

The AD has the power to terminate contracts of anyone working in the Athletic Department. He would normally got to the head coach first and let him do the firing, but if that coach is too stubborn to do the deed, he could step in and do it for him.

And if that happened then no HC would have interest in joining a program where the AD is unilaterally making personnel decisions on the assistant coaching staff, especially if the AD hasnt earned the benefit of the doubt. In the last 25 years, can you point to even one instance where the AD fired an assistant coach because the HC refused to? It hasn't happened because it's an absurd idea.

Rick Pitino might be ready to move back to the P5 from Iona. Would be a boss move by James. We might actually have a real team for the first time in many years.
go with someone like Anthony Grant, Pitino brings with him a lot of baggage

Advertisement
Agreed. Just about every single NBA player spends some time in Miami. It's the place to be for a lot of these guys, Seems like many of the top programs in college basketball can recruit and land 1 & done guys, but for some reason the only ACC team in paradise can't. I'm sure if all things were equal on the basketball side, many of these 1 & done guys would much rather spend their 2 semesters of college life on South Beach rather than some small town, in the middle of the country freezing their asses off.
don't know about one and done Kentucky N.C. and Duke are not looking to good : older teams like Baylor, and Gonzaga, Villanova seemed to have it together : don't know about the quality of the one and done freshmen coming into college today ?

After reading Coach L's explanation of letting Cross go, it becomes apparent that he is too set in his ways, which currently is not getting any
positive results, to really adapt his game to personnel that he even recruits. This is a sign of age and it seems as time has caught up with him.
strange part of the Cross situation, Cross when I seen him played looked like a real solid ball player, who understood the game

Bro; and to ur point, out of the 12-15 kids on the roster, only 2 need to be stars and the rest can be solid to good role players to turn the tide. I agree, it is much easier to win a CBB title than a CFB title, and North - South Fla has produced some fine players, but u can up to GA, TX, or LA to pick some gems, too.
I think FSU at one time had 5 kids on the floor that were from South Florida : are there any S. Florida kids on the UM roster ?

I think FSU at one time had 5 kids on the floor that were from South Florida : are there any S. Florida kids on the UM roster ?

I don’t think so, bro. I think the closest kid on UM’s b-ball roster from So Fla is from Katy, TX. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
Back