OT/ Isley Brothers & Earth, Wind & Fire

Ernie Isley is one of the most underrated guitarist in music history, he's also a great multi-instrumentalist & songwriter.

He's self taught but he learned a lot from watching Jimi Hendrix when Hendrix used to play for the Isley Brothers.

But EWF.... Mannnn I love that band, I have 8 original copy vinyls of their albums (I got'em from my mom lol), EWF is one of the most cohesive bands ever, what I mean is from a musician standpoint they absolutely perfected the groove & their timing is impeccable.

Verdine White is one of the greatest bassist of all-time, then with Ralph Johnson & Fred White on Drums & percussion they had some of the best in pocket rhythm sections ever. Their live performances are second to none & back when they had the Axe man Johnny Graham on lead guitar they had the perfect mix of R&B, Jazz, Funk & Rock.

I'm just 31 but I mainly listen to old school music from the 60-90's, sometimes I swear I was born in the wrong era because I loveeeee old school Funk fusion, Jazz & Soul/Neo-Soul. I love Hip-Hop & Reggae too, but 95% of my playlist is old school shìt, it's all I listen to on SiriusXM too.

Great thread Orlando!

Advertisement
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Just so yall know I'm not capping either, all original copy vinyls, I got hundreds of others too.

@Tetragrammaton Cane @caneinorlando 💯

My 2nd favorite band of all-time, I loveeeeee Heatwave!

The Wilder Brothers Johhnie & Keith were the lead singers, they were from Ohio just like all the artists I mentioned a page ago (The Isley Brothers, Parliament Funkadelic, Bootsy Collins, Bobby Womack, The Ojays, The Ohio Players, The Legendary Screamin Jay Hawkins, Bull Moose Jackson, The Dazz Band etc.)

They had terrific singing voices & vocal range, Johnnie Wilder's falsetto was amazing & Keith had the lower tones, but their funk groove was monumental! They had some huge hits & were a timeless band during the Funk/Disco era.

The Keyboardist/ Organ player Rod Temperton was the main songwriter & composer of the group, he put together some spectacular arrangements & was the architect of their sound. Plus they had a really dope underrated guitarist in Eric Johns who was a fellow Jamaican.

I listen Heatwave every **** day, their music is simply timeless.

Advertisement
Maaaan I been listening to Tony Toni Tone since the early 90's, but then when Saadiq left the group & formed Lucy Pearl I became a huge fan of his solo work.

He really doesn't get the credit he deserves but he was really one of the main catalyst behind the scenes in developing the Neo-Soul movement in the 90's. He wrote D'Angelo's biggest record of his career, he also wrote for the Roots, Erykah Badu, Anthony Hamilton, Jill Scott, Bilal & so many others.

His Jimmy Lee album from last year was legit one of the best albums of 2019, it was Grammy worthy.
And he had a bomb restaurant in Inglewood, CA called The Serving Spoon. Hood spot that was good af. Ralph don’t get the love he deserves.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Liked them...but my older sisters were all about Motown...(Supremes...Stylistics..Gaye..etc)
My brother more Chicago...Allman Bros...
Saw Earth, Wind, and Fire with Chicago about 15 years ago. Great concert as they shared the stage and did several of each others songs together.

Just this a.m...I started listening to the Very Best of each Band (I'm talking on an A+ System W/Headphones) and it's staggering that those two Bands put out the Music they did...Even though you already know how Great they were...everytime you go back to them they're Better than ever...The Vocals are simply unapproachable....The Instrumentals (with Ronald Isleys Brother on Lead in the backround) are beyond stupendous...I know at 59 I'm Old School...but that's okay...Just keeping it real...They (Both Bands) were the Epitome of Greatness....
love Earth Wind & Fire.

Just this a.m...I started listening to the Very Best of each Band (I'm talking on an A+ System W/Headphones) and it's staggering that those two Bands put out the Music they did...Even though you already know how Great they were...everytime you go back to them they're Better than ever...The Vocals are simply unapproachable....The Instrumentals (with Ronald Isleys Brother on Lead in the backround) are beyond stupendous...I know at 59 I'm Old School...but that's okay...Just keeping it real...They (Both Bands) were the Epitome of Greatness....
In my opinion, the nuance of the Isley Bro can be seen in high quality playbacks of Tesla and GnR.

Advertisement
Back