OT: How about an OTH (otherthanhiphop) music thread?

Advertisement
Advertisement
The smell of canibus was pervasive. I went to the Journey concert in 81 or 82 I think and some chick took her shirt off. Lol.
By chance was the Journey show at Miami Baseball Stadium with Areosmith , Sammy Hagar and Bryan Adams??? That happened to be a friend of mines first show when he was 12... I hadn't moved to Florida yet but he always told me about the show after we met when I moved here...
First one me and him saw together was Quiet Riot and Wasp at Sunrise Musical theater in 83... We we're 13... That was awesome... LOL.

By chance was the Journey show at Miami Baseball Stadium with Areosmith , Sammy Hagar and Bryan Adams??? That happened to be a friend of mines first show when he was 12... I hadn't moved to Florida yet but he always told me about the show after we met when I moved here...
First one me and him saw together was Quiet Riot and Wasp at Sunrise Musical theater in 83... We we're 13... That was awesome... LOL.
The Journey concert was at the Sportatorium but I was at that one too at the baseball stadium! Bryan Adams, Aerosmith and Sammy Hagar.

Best sounding live band I’ve ever seen, hands down. Many people don’t know that Toto was made up of the Team A studio cats from L.A. back in the 70’s and 80’s.

The musicians on Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” were the members of Toto (except the guitar solo on “Beat It” which was performed/laid down by EVH).

Jeff Porcaro was one of the most recorded drummers in history, while Steve Lukather is an absolute beast of a guitar player. That drum groove shuffle on “Rossana” is to this day one of the baddest grooves ever laid down, and to make it sound legit is no easy task.
Craziest random Toto fact is that one of their later lead singers is composer John Williams -- yes, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Sunday Night Footall John Williams -- son.

Anyway, the Weezer (also a great band) cover of Africa is one of the better cover versions out there. There's a funny SNL bit with Matt Damon about it if you're ever bored.

Advertisement
Quick story about the OB and the baseball stadiums. My father was the Stadiums Manager for the City of Miami from 1960 to ‘79. He managed the OB during football season and the baseball stadium during baseball season. He absolutely hated when there were concerts in either one because the fields got destroyed. It would take the grounds crew weeks to get it back in shape.

Craziest random Toto fact is that one of their later lead singers is composer John Williams -- yes, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Sunday Night Footall John Williams -- son.

Anyway, the Weezer (also a great band) cover of Africa is one of the better cover versions out there. There's a funny SNL bit with Matt Damon about it if you're ever bored.

That was pretty impressive. No kidding about John Williams. Never noticed him in the credits.

Advertisement

I’ll toss a fun fact out. Brian Eno, is an incredible ambient musician, one of the earliest electronica musicians, andmore famously produced Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby for U2, Remain in Light and Talking Heads for Talking Heads, among a ton of other albums. However, his most famous work was as the creator of the Microsoft 95 chime.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back