OT- Have athletes gotten worse in the NBA/MLB?

In other words, imagine if we had today’s training methods with the superior athletes of the past.

Here's the Top 3 scorers on the teams Jordan went through in the East Conference Finals & NBA Finals to win the 1998 championship

Pacers: Reggie Miller, Chris Mullin, Rick Smits
Jazz: Karl Malone, John Stockton, Jeff Hornacek (all were 34 or 35 years old)

You're complaining about the amount of un-athletic but skilled shooters in the game today.

How are these 2 teams with these players, who were dominant in the 1990's with this core, any different than what you're describing?

Don't throw in Shawn Kemp or Kevin Johnson or anyone else, I'm talking just these 2 teams

Advertisement
Don't throw in Shawn Kemp or Kevin Johnson or anyone else, I'm talking just these 2 teams

Those two teams happened to be two of the slowest teams in the league at that time, which is why you picked them. Both bottom ten in pace and known for relying on execution over athleticism.

Utah beat the Lakers to get there. Their Top 6 scorers were Eddie Jones, Shaquille O'Neal, Rick Fox, Nick Van Exel, prime Robert Horry and young Kobe Bryant.

The Pacers beat the Knicks, who were lead by 28-year-old Larry Johnson (the original Zion), young Allan Houston, high-flying John Starks and a pretty good athlete named Charlie Ward.

So with that said...

What about the NBA game has changed over the last 30 years that would lead them to having better athletes?
Small ball? Big guys playing on the perimeter? That's not "better athletes", that's simply a strategic change in the game that has forced bigger guys to refine their perimeter skill. (and completely abandon the post skill that the older players spent so much time on)

Are NBA guys running faster today, jumping higher today, etc? Based on what? Are there numbers to support this? Or are yall just going by the eye test. (which is subjective and inaccurate)

And since the basketball world doesn't put a premium on athletic testing and explosive measurements like the football world does, why would one believe that they (the basketball world) are creating SIGNIFICANTLY better athletes? You're telling me it's pure evolution? Humans haven't changed that much (physically) since the 80's.

I assure you, if the basketball world put more of an emphasis on creating better/more explosive athletes these past 30 years, their guys wouldn't need 2 steps to register a pedestrian low/mid-30's vertical. Yes I'm aware that the vertical isn't the end-all-be-all of athleticism, but it is a good measure of raw explosiveness and athletic ability.

I mean, if you say NBA players are better athletes today you have to give reasons why. Attribute it to SOMETHING. It can't just be your eye test.

Well, the point guards are running faster and jumping higher. The fastest point guards of this era: Rondo, Wall, Chris Paul, Fox, Rose, Westbrook, etc. are faster than the guards of that era. I don't think it's even close in terms of athleticism. The guards have gotten way more athletic and way more skilled. Lining up the most athletic 25 point guards of 20-21 versus the most athletic 25 point guards of the 96-97 season wouldn't be close.

To answer your question, the training has gotten much, much better at the nba level and on top of that these guys all employ personal trainers now which they didn't do back in the day. The training the players get once they are on NBA rosters is better than ever. Like Tim Grover said, the training of 30 years can't compare to the training now. So we have a vastly deeper talent pool, more scouting, and better training - naturally there is a higher amount of great athletes. Spurs have 4 guys who get 40 inches on the vertical and had 0 twenty years ago.

You're right on the basketball world not putting emphasis on explosive training. The young players in basketball do not work on their flexibility and explosiveness enough from 12-21 like they do and football and those combine numbers suffer. But that's because they play and practice so much they don't focus on the lower body, core, and strength like football. These kids are playing way more basketball than they used to. Derrick Rose and the other guys are measuring 40s with two steps, not low to mid 30s fwiw. That's their score without the steps. When these kids get to the NBA their flexibility, explosiveness and strength goes up tenfold, so the numbers we see don't them justice as well. The vertical jump really isn't a good test of measuring basketball athleticism at all. Pat Connaughton is one of the highest jumpers in the combine, but isn't that much of an explosive athlete.

I do not think the elite athletes of the this era are better than the elite athletes of that era. Shawn Kemp and Blake Griffin can go jump for jump. Kevin Johnson and Ja Morant can go jump for jump. What I've been saying for the last 10+ pages is the depth of athleticism goes way beyond what it was. That is due to a vastly expanded talent pool: 50m population increase in the U.S., Africa is now a mine for talent, Canada became a player, and increased popularity throughout the world. There are way more great athletes sitting the bench than of yesteryear. There are more great athletes in the NBA today than there were in the 90s across the board. That can be seen by going team by team. I don't think benches had as many guys like Lonnie Walker, Derrick Jones Jr., Terrence Ross, Brandon Clarke, etc. who are all great athletes. Andrew Wiggins is another supreme athlete.

It does not matter what data I present from today because that information from the past isn't readily available. Im searching for it though because that information exists. The NBA combine started in 1983 IIRC. I'd imagine that information would show that the results between those guys is similar to what the results are now. I've been arguing the last couple days because D$ said the athletes today are worse, not equal.

From the '92 Combine - "In 1992, Shaq measured 71 without shoes, weighed 303 pounds, recorded a 35 inch vertical (who knows if is this is standing or 2 steps) and had his wingspan measured at 77. To put that in perspective, from the minute he entered the league and for the next 10 years - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/A-Historical-Look-at-the-NBA-Pre-Draft-Measurements-2912/ ©DraftExpress" All the old combine information is spread out across newspapers. If I find some good ones I'll post them

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Those two teams happened to be two of the slowest teams in the league at that time, which is why you picked them. Both bottom ten in pace and known for relying on execution over athleticism.

Utah beat the Lakers to get there. Their Top 6 scorers were Eddie Jones, Shaquille O'Neal, Rick Fox, Nick Van Exel, prime Robert Horry and young Kobe Bryant.

The Pacers beat the Knicks, who were lead by 28-year-old Larry Johnson (the original Zion), young Allan Houston, high-flying John Starks and a pretty good athlete named Charlie Ward.
Yet....The Jazz swept the Lakers 4-0. The Pacers beat the Knicks 4-1

I showed those teams because they're the 2 best teams other than the Bulls that year. And I already pointed the 90's Bulls teams were filled with nonathletic players that doesn't compare to today's teams top to bottom (which you didn't respond to)

What you're doing is:

Only pointing out the athletic players of that era & conveniently leaving off the non-athletic ones (which I'm showing)
Only pointing out the non-athletic players of this era & conveniently leaving off the athletic ones (which I'm showing)

But again, just using these 2 teams, my questions you didn't address still are:

How are the 1998 Jazz & Pacers any different than what you're describing today?
How were the 1998 Jazz & Lakers, with a lack of athletes as their top players, able to be great teams in that era?

And I already pointed the 90's Bulls teams were filled with nonathletic players that doesn't compare to today's teams top to bottom (which you didn't respond to)

I did respond, and pointed out that you didn't actually see those Bulls teams play. Which is why you mixed up the players and overlooked that their identity was an incredibly athletic, long defensive perimeter that would be even more effective under modern rules.

Advertisement
I would say the rule changes and analytics emphasize skill moreso than athleticism.

This year’s Heat were tossing out lineups with four white shooters and playing zone. You couldn’t really do that 25 years ago.

Baseball has never really been a game dominated by athleticism. There have always been great athletes but I mean guys like Ortiz, Altuve, Pedroia come to mind as really not athletically built yet dominant at one point or another. Baseball has definitely become more analytical.

Basketball welcomes shooters and athletes alike. Last years number 1 pick is an unreal athlete and can jump out of a building. I think LeBron might be the most athletically gifted athlete ever with his size speed strength combo and his ability to control it all. He just doesn’t have a resume like Bo and actually competing in other sports. That’s also frowned upon with how much money is thrown and teams prohibiting injury risks. But I mean look at the dudes like Aaron Gordon and DJJ on the Heat and Zach Levine. The dunks that won 25 years ago wouldn’t be as great as what we see today.

Also, didn’t the Celtics start 4 white guys in Bird Walton Mchale and Ainge in the late 80s? A little over 25 years ago but not much.

Ill say baseball hasn’t changed much but if it has maybe slight less athletic. Basketball definitely more athletic today.

I did respond, and pointed out that you didn't actually see those Bulls teams play. Which is why you mixed up the players and overlooked that their identity was an incredibly athletic, long defensive perimeter that would be even more effective under modern rules.
Again, you're just picking and choosing your points. And I did see those teams, but you're deflecting from the points I'm making and questions I'm asking.

You'll inflate Horace Grant (he's an incredible athlete) or talk about how great an athlete Rodman was (no argument from me there)

But you won't acknowledge a large part of those Bulls teams were also guys like Cartwright, Purdue, Wennington, Longley (nonathletic bigs that wouldn't play in today's game) and Paxson, Armstrong, Kerr (non-athletic shooters that are no different than the guys you're pointing out in 2020)

My questions you're choosing to not answer remain:

Take any Bulls 90's lineup vs. The Lakers 2020 lineup. Who do you think was more athletic if you look at positions 1 thru 10?
How are the 1998 Jazz & Pacers any different than what you're describing in today's game?
How were the 1998 Jazz & Lakers, with a lack of athletes as their top players, able to be great teams in that era?

I agree with you the NBA was better to watch then. I think the amount of 3's today is kind of boring. But that doesn't mean the game was more athletic then.

Last edited:
I'm a sports fanatic like most of us are here. I'm almost 66 and have watched the NFL when Jim Brown was unstoppable the Celtics were dominant, and baseball was fun to watch. Are the athletes better today ? They are bigger, for the most part faster, and maybe better. The NBA doesn't play defense like it did in the 60's , 70's and 80's. The old Knick, Celtic, and Laker teams were fun to watch for sure. I'm not a big fan of the NBA today. MLB is completely watered down with too many teams and the fundamentals are high school caliber. The best two MLB all around players I ever saw bar NONE were Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays without a doubt. There were special to say the least. The football players have better training facilities, excellent coaching, and make a case for today.s NFL player is more athletic than years ago. I'm old school and loved the NFL in the 60's 70's and 80's. The antics today are juvenile and not professional at all. Guys like Antonio Brown and Jarvis Landry are an embarrassment to the NFL and their teams. Play the game and represent your sport. DON'T BE A COMPLETE A HOLE.

Advertisement
Take any Bulls 90's lineup vs. The Lakers 2020 lineup. Who do you think was more athletic if you look at positions 1 thru 10?

I would say the current Lakers have more athleticism than MJ’s Bulls, and the Bulls had more athleticism than LeBron’s Cleveland teams.

I would say the current Lakers have more athleticism than MJ’s Bulls, and the Bulls had more athleticism than LeBron’s Cleveland teams.

I'd agree with you there. I'll just put you down as "no comment" on those Jazz teams, where I'd say LeBron's Cavs teams ar more athletic.

My point would be, it's the depth of athleticism. If you compare Bulls vs Cavs:

If you look at the Top 3 - No question Jordan/Pippen/Rodman is more athletic than LeBron/Kyrie/Love.
But if you look at 4-10 - Cavs had - Tristan Thompson, JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, Richard Jefferson, Channing Frye, James Jones

That Cavs 4-10 "core" was more athletic than the Bulls 4-10 by a good margin (There's some stiffs & athletes that come & go each year on those Cavs teams, but all the guys I named were on 3 of the last 4 Cavs finals teams)

You can compare just the top 3-5 players at each position in each era, or a specific teams top 3 or 5 guys, and it'll be an interesting argument.

But once you go Top 10/Top 15 - it'll start to skew more and more to today's game having more athletes. Teams are just deeper with athletes today.

"You must be outta your god **** mind! Joe Lewis the greatest boxer that ever lived! He badder than Cassius Clay! He badder than Sugar Ray! He badder than...what's the new boy name...Mike Tyson! Look like a bulldog! He'll whip Mike Tyson a$$, he'll whoop all they a$$es!"

"What about Rocky Marciano?"

"Oh therrrre they go! That's they one!"

Advertisement
"You must be outta your god **** mind! Joe Lewis the greatest boxer that ever lived! He badder than Cassius Clay! He badder than Sugar Ray! He badder than...what's the new boy name...Mike Tyson! Look like a bulldog! He'll whip Mike Tyson a$$, he'll whoop all they a$$es!"

Dammit, Macho! You know that’s just gonna bring out you know who! (Whispers … don’t let @reg hear you)

I don't disagree with you, most of it is **** you'd expect from late 1800s social darwinists. He legit goes into APE INDEX in the NBA Chapter.

However, I feel his best points are in the technology being used by today's athlete as well as on the "field"...when he outlines the differences between the shoes and track they run on between Bolt and say Jesse Owens, his point is makes sense and is sound. The overall point in suggesting the book is it does outline a lot of key differences that are not biological as to the differences between the athletes of today and yesterday.

His other social darwinist racist takes aren't for me...but there is some good points throughout.
I recognize that @DMoney is talking about MLB/NBA, but since a few have mentioned NFL (and some track) I just wanted to add a few things.

If the athletes today are as good, or better because of training, etc., where is today’s Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker - or even Sammie Smith? You can’t even find linebackers today who can run as well as they did - and that was 30 years ago. I left out Deion. It’s easy to dismiss these guys as generational, but all from the same generation? Even OJ Simpson still holds a WR to this day.

Epstein liberally makes use of an “I’m ******” card to skate past topics by calling them taboo - when he was the only one calling them taboo while coming up with disproven theories. He specifically called out Kenya in his 2013 book for not producing Javelin throwers. Julius Yego won gold at the 2015 Worlds and Silver at the 2016 Olympics. He consistently talks about the world as if there were only black and white - as if Asians don’t exist. It showed his stupidity as China and Japan both won 4x1 medals at subsequent Worlds and Olympics. These “predictions“, accordin to him, were “in the blood/genes”.

His Bolt/Owens comparison is rank buffoonery. Bolt would’ve crushed Owens. Had he been a better student of the sprint game he might have used Bullet Bob Hayes … Bolt would have crushed Hayes too.

it’s often mentioned that Jesse Owens long jump (8.13/26’8”) record wasn’t broken for 24 years but what’s lost was that he broke Chuhei Nambu’s of Japan’s WR from 4 years prior of (7.98/26’2”). Is Nambu “better”? i Doubt he had better technology. 90 years later at the 2017 Worlds Nambu‘s performance would’ve qualified for the finals in front of 24 men.

100m. 1991 Tokyo final v 2019 Doha final. Average of the top 6 places? 9.9133. Exactly the same even though 2019 winner was .10 faster.

I guess I agree with D$.

ThoseDisguisedAsianelephant-size_restricted.gif

cache.png

Advertisement
Back