OT Getting new puppy and need name

I got invited last minute to the ND game last year. Flew down to Miami for 36 hours total. During that time, my choc lab, Barkley, had a tumor rupture and had to be put down. Vet said he could've kept him alive til I got back to say goodbye, but he was in pain so I couldn't do it. Had to say goodbye over facetime. Made that trip bittersweet. RIP Cane.

Advertisement
I got invited last minute to the ND game last year. Flew down to Miami for 36 hours total. During that time, my choc lab, Barkley, had a tumor rupture and had to be put down. Vet said he could've kept him alive til I got back to say goodbye, but he was in pain so I couldn't do it. Had to say goodbye over facetime. Made that trip bittersweet. RIP Cane.
A tumor?? Wtf did you feed your dog?? Use blue buffalo to avoid tumors! Pedigree and other bagged dog food has to many preservatives that are bad.

Advertisement
Man I love pits . Used to have a red nose . Now I have two pits Cane 9 months and Taz 5 months . But I love other dogs and people in general. Feel completely safe having them around my 1 year old daughter. They only fight with each other but mostly just playing but they get a lil aggressive sometimes . I think it depends on the owner and how it’s raised. Truly aggressive dogs are taught to be so. If you have a pit from say 5 weeks old and you raise him well he will not just randomly decide to be overly aggressive .

You couldn’t be anymore wrong.

Raising them up together is always good. Raising them right and in great conditionings has nothing to do what is in their blood. And has no bearing on their aggressiveness.

Once again.. do you have to teach a retriver to retrieve? No. Real APBTs are dog aggressive. It’s not taught. This is the result of selective breeding going back 100 years.

I’m also not taking about Pits that come from a backyard breeder who has no clue what standard are. I’m talking about full blood APBTs.

A tumor?? Wtf did you feed your dog?? Use blue buffalo to avoid tumors! Pedigree and other bagged dog food has to
many preservatives that are bad.

Feed them raw and you won’t ever have to deal that **** or vet bills

Feed them raw and you won’t ever have to deal that **** or vet bills
I agree. But feed him also garlic so he doesn’t get tape worms or anything. Healthy pup fed him some vegetables to help with digestion and fruits also. My bull terrier Kaleb loves it all.

Advertisement
Just a question to the pit owners.

Currently in between dogs, have had a few different breeds, but grew up with dobies.

As a kid and young adult, I would constantly play and rough-house with the dobies (males). I mean throw them around, wrestle in the yard, we would play this game where they would clamp on to my forearm and close down on it with their jaws, teeth bared, with good pressure, and I would just try to swing them around. They would snarl and shake my arm in their jaws with a good hard grip, while shaking my arm like they were trying to tear a chunk off. Passerby’s would think I was being mauled.

As those of you that know the breed already know, they’re sweethearts as a breed generally, and even though they look like sleek muscled 90lb assasins, they would never hurt their master.

My question is, can you rough-house that intensely with a pit bull, or do you risk at some point some kind of instinct kicking in for them to “finish the job”. Mind you, there would be times when one of the dobies would knock me to the ground and get face to face, where they could have literally taken my face off, but I was never worried. They loved that type of contact and never crossed the line.

Last edited:

Raising them up together is always good. Raising them right and in great conditionings has nothing to do what is in their blood. And has no bearing on their aggressiveness.

Once again.. do you have to teach a retriver to retrieve? No. Real APBTs are dog aggressive. It’s not taught. This is the result of selective breeding going back 100 years.

I’m also not taking about Pits that come from a backyard breeder who has no clue what standard are. I’m talking about full blood APBTs.

I know multiple people with pit bulls and none of them are overly aggressive . I guess their pits aren’t “real” pits . I’m not a breeder so I don’t care about selective breeding and full blood and all that blah blah . I’m not entering my dogs into a **** dog show .

Currently in between dogs, have had a few different breeds, but grew up with dobies.

As a kid and young adult, I would constantly play and rough-house with the dobies (males). I mean throw them around, wrestle in the yard, we would play this game where they would clamp on to my forearm and close down on it with their jaws, teeth bared, with good pressure, and I would just try to swing them around. They would snarl and shake my arm in their jaws with a good hard grip, while shaking my arm like they were trying to tear a chunk off. Passerby’s would think I was being mauled.

As those of you that know the breed already know, they’re sweethearts as a breed generally, and even though they look like sleek muscled 90lb assasins, they would never hurt their master.

My question is, can you rough-house that intensely with a pit bull, or do you risk at some point some kind of instinct kicking in for them to “finish the job”. Mind you, there would be times when one of the dobies would knock me to the ground and get face to face, where they could have literally taken my face off, but I was never worried. They loved that type of contact and never crossed the line.
I rough housed with mine all the time. He knew it was only allowed with me and he wouldn't do it with my wife or daughter. He was a sweetheart to everyone. The one mistake I made was I didn't socialize him with other dogs as a puppy so he really wasn't very fond of other dogs. He never did anything to other dogs but I always had to watch him. Dog trainer told me the 2 biggest things pits need are exercise and socialization. You do those and love them you will have no problems.

Advertisement

There are numerous studies that prove you wrong. Here is one website that discusses one such study. Pit Bulls Much Less Aggressive Than Other Breeds, Study Says

Various dog breeds have differing traits based on what the original breeders need was - hunting, tracking, working, etc. We had a Norfolk Terrier that didn't like anybody except my wife, my step-daughter, and me! I have a friend who was a canine police officer with a 80 lb Belgian Malenois. He brought her into our house and that 12 lb Norfolk Terrier was not happy and not intimidated. She basically told that K-9 to get the f--k out of my house! Training from an early age is essential and of course, unconditional love. I have a cousin whose had several Pits and wouldn't have any other breed. He's always been very dedicated to proper training and it's obvious in his dogs behavior.

Advertisement
I rough housed with mine all the time. He knew it was only allowed with me and he wouldn't do it with my wife or daughter. He was a sweetheart to everyone. The one mistake I made was I didn't socialize him with other dogs as a puppy so he really wasn't very fond of other dogs. He never did anything to other dogs but I always had to watch him. Dog trainer told me the 2 biggest things pits need are exercise and socialization. You do those and love them you will have no problems.

You are correct. My grandson socialized his pit with other dogs, cats and young children from 8 weeks old forward. Plus, he gives him plenty of exercise and play time. He never even barks at other dogs and only looks at them when they bark at him. Not much of a guard dog though as he loves people and when people come to the house he thinks they come to see him and he gets all excited and happy. Best dog I have ever been around.

There are numerous studies that prove you wrong. Here is one website that discusses one such study. Pit Bulls Much Less Aggressive Than Other Breeds, Study Says

Maybe you should re read my post and your provided link.

I did not say anything about being aggressive towards a human. I am specifically talking about “dog” aggression. Aka. Aggressive towards other dogs.

APBTs have one of the best temperments of any breed.

I really don’t know why this is hard for people to understand.

Maybe you should re read my post and your provided link.

I did not say anything about being aggressive towards a human. I am specifically talking about “dog” aggression. Aka. Aggressive towards other dogs.

APBTs have one of the best temperments of any breed.

I really don’t know why this is hard for people to understand.

Maybe you should have read Jjacks post before saying he couldn't be anymore wrong. He was saying people aren't afraid of his dog and he feels safe leaving his daughter around it. My study backs up his points.

I know multiple people with pit bulls and none of them are overly aggressive . I guess their pits aren’t “real” pits . I’m not a breeder so I don’t care about selective breeding and full blood and all that blah blah . I’m not entering my dogs into a **** dog show .

You still understand. Learn to read and comprehend better.

I am not a breeder and I’m not talking about breeding currently.

I’m talking about lineage. Like I said in my initial post. APBT were bred to be a combat dog for bull baiting and dog matching.

Having a non dog-aggressive dog was useless (obviously) So it was culled. Look up the term culled if you don’t know. Hence the bred-in trait of being dog-aggressive. This process was started 100+ years ago. If you own a Pit he may have fighting bloodlines. Who knows...

I will agree that not every real APBT is dog aggressive, but most are.

But don’t speak on something you don’t know and downvote me for no reason.

Pits have been in my family for over 60 years. I know what I’m talking about.

Advertisement
Back