OT - Edward Aschoff Dead

Advertisement
Contrary to popular belief. You don't catch pneumonia from being in the cold. Pneumonia is spread by bacteria/virus/etc. So the guy must been around someone that had it and caught it from them.

Now, how the guy died in his 30s, is beyond me and I would love someone more knowledgeable to step in and let me know. I have never heard of someone in the USA, besides the elderly or very young, die from it unless they had AIDS or something like that. Or if they where from the 1800s or something like that in history class.
When I heard about the story I thought it was very sad as well. Now what strikes me at his age and him being relatively healthy is that he may have initially caught the flu which in turn can cause bacterial pneumonia which is a lot worse than viral pneumonia. Although bacterial pneumonia can be treated with antibiotics people who pass away from it usually have an autoimmune disorder that takes over and overwhelms the body which can lead to an intense reaction that can cause death. Viral pneumonia usually clears up pretty much like the common cold because antibiotics do nothing to a virus. This is why I always tell patients about the importance of getting a flu shot to help them fight off the flu in addition to possible issues with pneumonia or respiratory infections.
This however in his situation is an outlier because at being 33 or 34 and a relatively healthy male itnis extremely rare...unless underlying diseases rake over...
Hope this helps.

When I heard about the story I thought it was very sad as well. Now what strikes me at his age and him being relatively healthy is that he may have initially caught the flu which in turn can cause bacterial pneumonia which is a lot worse than viral pneumonia. Although bacterial pneumonia can be treated with antibiotics people who pass away from it usually have an autoimmune disorder that takes over and overwhelms the body which can lead to an intense reaction that can cause death. Viral pneumonia usually clears up pretty much like the common cold because antibiotics do nothing to a virus. This is why I always tell patients about the importance of getting a flu shot to help them fight off the flu in addition to possible issues with pneumonia or respiratory infections.
This however in his situation is an outlier because at being 33 or 34 and a relatively healthy male itnis extremely rare...unless underlying diseases rake over...
Hope this helps.

Helped a lot. Thanks a lot for the breakdown bro. I had no idea about any of that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Forgive me but I've been in Florida my whole life. How the **** do you catch pneumonia covering a football game? He looks pretty bundled up in that picture. No snow, no rain, temperature in the 30s. What a horrible story but I'm completely confused. I've been in several places colder than that including Alaska.
Pneumonia does not depend on cold. It can be viral or bacterial. Old people die from it all the time in South Florida.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back