OT: EA Sports College Football game

I never enjoyed Madden. When NFL2K5 came out for $20, I bought it for the Xbox. You could customize your entire experience.

Custom sound tracks with music you had saved on your Xbox…which you could set to play pre-game music, 1/2 time music, TD music, 1st down music, INT music, fumble recovered music, extra points, QB sack music etc…

I remember I had the Falcons in franchise mode and had Lil’Jon, Ludacris tunes set up for everything. You could even have a custom crib and buy team **** for it.

They had a licensing agreement with ESPN, and the game was made extremely well.

Unfortunately, EA signed a licensing agreement with the NFL shortly after for video games and poof…no more 2K games.

EA was always ****…I was ****ed they never even had the option for us to add custom music. All of their licensing for the music for **** artists. They never improved their games an added weird gimmicks that we didn’t want in the first place. Every year people would buy the new EA game and would be essentially paying for an updated roster.

/rant over.
Facts

Can never question your gaming knowledge ever. They let out the same game yearly. If they do that with NCAA which they will, I will get the first one but I ain't paying for roster updates bruh. They better inovate the gameplay cause the gameplay been bad for a long time. I feel like it's never fun to play defense like it was in 2k or back breaker.

When the new Madden came out on game pass I was highly disappointed. The player models on the DL looked like fat dudes with trex arms. It was awful to me and EA usually has great player models. I don't know wtf they did with that.

Advertisement
Facts

Can never question your gaming knowledge ever. They let out the same game yearly. If they do that with NCAA which they will, I will get the first one but I ain't paying for roster updates bruh. They better inovate the gameplay cause the gameplay been bad for a long time. I feel like it's never fun to play defense like it was in 2k or back breaker.

When the new Madden came out on game pass I was highly disappointed. The player models on the DL looked like fat dudes with trex arms. It was awful to me and EA usually has great player models. I don't know wtf they did with that.

Defense is barely played in real world football. I fully expect it to become worse and worse in video game football.

Facts

Also a LB at 4y picking off a lobbed fade to the numbers. They never figured that out either

NCAA was strong even after Madden went downhill with the exclusive license. Was a much better game after the mid 2000s.

If they can get it to play like 13 and 14, it will be hype.
the issue w the maddens imo are the engines they use. they'll use the same engine in NCAA and its going to suck.

Advertisement
Facts

The other problem was EA didn’t have any competition to make a sports game so they can put out garbage and if you wanted to play it, that was your only option.

Last edited:
they tried to do that with nba and the pa said no. Imagine just live and no 2k? Madden would be dead right now

This is a moot point because the Live franchise is virtually nonexistent. The last Live game was released in 2018.

While 2k might not have an exclusive license on paper, they have a de facto exclusive license. NBA 2k is not very different from Madden in that regard.

For the record, EA did hire a few of the devs who worked on the 2k series. Live will likely return at some point (perhaps under a new name). If/when it returns, they'll have a lot of catching up to do.

Advertisement
This is a moot point because the Live franchise is virtually nonexistent. The last Live game was released in 2018.

While 2k might not have an exclusive license on paper, they have a de facto exclusive license. NBA 2k is not very different from Madden in that regard.

For the record, EA did hire a few of the devs who worked on the 2k series. Live will likely return at some point (perhaps under a new name). If/when it returns, they'll have a lot of catching up to do.
Yea but no one is keeping anyone from making an NBA game.

Advertisement
I remember being a kid and religiously buying NBA Live, Madden and NCAA football every year.
Me and the fellas would spend hours playing each other that weekend.

Then EA turned to basura.
One of my fondest memories from childhood was going to midnight releases for NCAA and the newest COD with the boys. Be up all night customizing rosters and putting ourselves in as recruits to try and get us to our schools. We'd always try and recruit each others characters as well to **** the other guys off lol. The good old days.

I remember being a kid and religiously buying NBA Live, Madden and NCAA football every year.
Me and the fellas would spend hours playing each other that weekend.

Then EA turned to basura.

Madden has been subpar for 20 years. And, NBA live has been lousy for even longer.

Advertisement
2k has been going the way of madden without competition

I've heard similar complaints.

However, it's an oversimplification to attribute the decline of these sports games to a lack of competition.

Big named sports games don't compete solely against other sports games. They also compete against AAA titles.

Madden and 2k have plenty of competition in the video game marketplace.

The fact that Madden has been stagnant and subpar, despite that competition, is actually a bigger indictment.

Look at the leaps that Red Dead Redemption made between RDR1 (released in 2010) and RDR2 (released in 2018).
By comparison, look at a YT vid of Madden 2009 (released in 2010) and Madden 19 (released in 2018).

There's no comparison. One series transformed in 10 years. The other didn't change a ton. It likely regressed in some areas.

Simply put, the competition is far outperforming Madden.

Despite this, Madden could take giant steps forward if the resources were allotted for it to do so.

It's a much broader discussion, though.

Advertisement
Back