OT: EA Sports College Football game

Advertisement
I'm just gonna use round numbers, so forgive me if the analysis seems a little crude. 2017 are the numbers I found (quickly).

$17,600 per player, 53 players, 32 teams - so, roughly 30 million paid. Game sold 1,570,000 copies at $60 a pop - so 94m. Thus, the NFLPA deal with Madden is something like 30% of sales.

What the CFPA thinks they are worth is a question for someone else to figure out, but I am willing to bet EA sports isn't even going go near 10%. NCAA sold roughly 1 million copies a year - so 60mil in sales. Even at the impossible 10% number, that'd be 6mil to be divided amongst ~10,500 players (131 FBS teams, 80 players/team), or - $571.

And - lets entertain the hypothetical that the CFPA gets the same deal that the NFLPA got - is $1,500 not also "ridiculously low amount of money"?

Last edited:
I'm just gonna use round numbers, so forgive me if the analysis seems a little crude. 2017 are the numbers I found (quickly).

$17,600 per player, 53 players, 32 teams - so, roughly 30 million paid. Game sold 1,570,000 copies at $60 a pop - so 94m. Thus, the NFLPA deal with Madden is something like 30% of sales.

What the CFPA thinks they are worth is a question for someone else to figure out, but I am willing to bet EA sports isn't even going go near 10%. NCAA sold roughly 1 million copies a year - so 60mil in sales. Even at the impossible 10% number, that'd be 6mil to be divided amongst ~10,500 players (131 FBS teams, 80 players/team), or - $571.

And - lets entertain the hypothetical that the CFPA gets the same deal that the NFLPA got - is $1,500 not also "ridiculously low amount of money"?
70 dollars for next gen but close enough

I’d hazard a bet that it’ll get way more than 60mil in sales

Advertisement

And - lets entertain the hypothetical that the CFPA gets the same deal that the NFLPA got - is $1,500 not also "ridiculously low amount of money"
Pay P5 players 75% of what they pay NFL players (so in your numbers ~$1,300).
Pay everyone else $500 or not at all.

Advertisement
A college football game is coming out.... Whether or not it has actual real college athletes in it is what's at question.
Honest question, if that is the answer, why did the video games ever stop? They couldve made the game with generic avatars before now.

Honest question, if that is the answer, why did the video games ever stop? They couldve made the game with generic avatars before now.
Me, you and everyone else would love the answer to this.... But it's EA we're talking about. Logic really doesn't exist with this company.

Most college teams have about 110 players including walkons.

At best 50-60 make the NCAA game? I feel we can move forward with the exclusion of a few players.

Me, you and everyone else would love the answer to this.... But it's EA we're talking about. Logic really doesn't exist with this company.

EA is deserving of criticism for many things. But, they made the right call by halting the series.

The NCAA, citing legal and business issues, ended their licensing deal with EA. EA then announced a deal with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC). This would have allowed the game to continue on with real schools and logos, sans the NCAA logo. " But then universities became unwilling, with the SEC, Big Ten, and Pac-12 also dropping support."

In other words, EA could have still made a game. However, they would have to revert to the days of Bill Walsh on Genesis and use generic universities, no fight songs, no stadiums, no conferences, etc. Notre Dame would have to be something akin to South Bend University, minus the uniform color, minus the stadium, and minus the Notre Dame fight song.

A generic cfb game would not have been worth the time and resources necessary to make one. Had they gone forward with a generic game in that climate, the risk of further litigation would have been high. And, since EA was confident that the game would return eventually, there was no need to alienate its future business partners by pressing on with a game.

Their best course of action was to pause the series until the legal issues were worked out.

Advertisement
EA is deserving of criticism for many things. But, they made the right call by halting the series.

The NCAA, citing legal and business issues, ended their licensing deal with EA. EA then announced a deal with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC). This would have allowed the game to continue on with real schools and logos, sans the NCAA logo. " But then universities became unwilling, with the SEC, Big Ten, and Pac-12 also dropping support."

In other words, EA could have still made a game. However, they would have to revert to the days of Bill Walsh on Genesis and use generic universities, no fight songs, no stadiums, no conferences, etc. Notre Dame would have to be something akin to South Bend University, minus the uniform color, minus the stadium, and minus the Notre Dame fight song.

A generic cfb game would not have been worth the time and resources necessary to make one. Had they gone forward with a generic game in that climate, the risk of further litigation would have been high. And, since EA was confident that the game would return eventually, there was no need to alienate its future business partners by pressing on with a game.

Their best course of action was to pause the series until the legal issues were worked out.
These are great points. I don't think they should have tried to continue right after but I do think in 10 years, there was a period that they could have attempted something. And I do remember a few years back, a couple of colleges (including Miami) was featured in Madden.

But nonetheless, I do agree with everything you mentioned.

This will hurt the kids without NIL feel bad for them. $500 helps a lot

$500 More than what former college football players were compensated before.

Are they going to pay fcs guys too? Cause those old games had 1AA match ups I thought

$500 More than what former college football players were compensated before.

Are they going to pay fcs guys too? Cause those old games had 1AA match ups I thought
It would be hilarious if they only did FCS because everyone is crying over money

Advertisement
I’d hazard a bet that it’ll get way more than 60mil in sales
Even if it sells 1.5 million copies for 70$ each - at 10% of sales that still "only" comes out to 1k/player.

I was just pointing out the flawed reasoning behind "$500 isn't enough" - sure, for Caleb Williams, but If the 3rd string qb at Akron thinks he's going to get rich off of licensing his image to a video game company...

Even if it sells 1.5 million copies for 70$ each - at 10% of sales that still "only" comes out to 1k/player.

I was just pointing out the flawed reasoning behind "$500 isn't enough" - sure, for Caleb Williams, but If the 3rd string qb at Akron thinks he's going to get rich off of licensing his image to a video game company...
I agree with that point about the payments, I don’t think they will stray from 10%. This is an extremely popular game of fanbase and players. And not all player want to strike for this. 500 is a good offer for the players. I just argued for the sales number because this game has been begged for by the fanbase for YEARS. It’ll sell way more than the madden counterpart

Advertisement
Back