OT: EA Sports College Football game

$500 More than what former college football players were compensated before.

Are they going to pay fcs guys too? Cause those old games had 1AA match ups I thought

FCS teams will not be in the game at launch. This has been confirmed.

If they’re eventually added, it’d likely be via DLC that you’d have to pay for.

Advertisement
Remember. They don’t use 85 man rosters in NCAA football either. There’s ~ 25 scholarship players on every roster who aren’t in the game.

The only college students I know that are too good for $500 are those kids from Power on Starz.

What world am I in where $500 is beneath a college student lol.

The only college students I know that are too good for $500 are those kids from Power on Starz.

It’s not that kids don’t want as much money as possible. Of course they do. But something like having your likeness in THE college football video game is something that 95% of kids would do for free. Especially since it requires them to do absolutely nothing at all. The people making a stink about the money are agents for the 5% that want to maximize every single cent for their clients (their own commissions).

I say you give every player the option of opting out if they don’t like the deal and replace them with a generic player named “Sucky McDick-****” and make them a 45 overall player”. I’d be perfectly happy to play a game with 95% of the players in it. Plus it would let every fan know exactly which player was too selfish to collect a $500 check for doing nothing.

Advertisement
Remember. They don’t use 85 man rosters in NCAA football either. There’s ~ 25 scholarship players on every roster who aren’t in the game.
I think they’re gonna use the 85 man roster for this one unlike the old ones with 70. Hard part is getting the name image and likeness for each player, may be some generic names and players added to fill in.

These are great points. I don't think they should have tried to continue right after but I do think in 10 years, there was a period that they could have attempted something. And I do remember a few years back, a couple of colleges (including Miami) was featured in Madden.

But nonetheless, I do agree with everything you mentioned.

The NCAA's interim NIL rule just became a thing two years ago, iirc.

In the years between 2013, when the game was cancelled, and 2021, EA was not going to devote a full dev team to making a game without the slightest clue when there’d be a legal framework that’d make said game permissible.

Again, several schools had already said that they would not participate until a “system was in place” to pay players.

Similarly, there’s no way their execs and various lawyers would have signed off on a cfb game before the legal issues were sorted. Peter Moore, a former EA exec said as much. "It was an unclear future for us," Moore told IGN. "It was a really sad day, and we said, 'We just can't do this anymore.' And one day I know we'll be back. "

"It got to a point, Moore suggested, where EA had to spend more on legal fees from the game than it would've earned in revenue."

How could you expect them to release a game in that climate?

The good news is that EA didn’t stop making football games in 2013. They were still making Madden (admittedly, with all of its warts)

Some of the devs who worked on previous ncaa games had been merged into the madden team. Now, many of those devs are back working on ncaa.

Hopefully they've been brainstorming over the last decade and learning from some of Madden's mistakes.

I've also heard that they've pulled producers from other EA projects to work on this game. The goal is to make it a AAA title.

EA certainly doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. All we can do is hope and wait.

Advertisement
I just hope the dynasty mode is good and has good recruiting/transfer portal and stuff like that.

I'm worried about the ability to play defense.

Defense is being eliminated from real football. I fully expect it to be even worse in video game football.

And, for goodness sake, it'd be nice if EA stopped neglecting special teams.

From Madden on Genesis, to NCAA Football, to today, the cpu has never housed a kick nor a punt nor blocked a punt. I once heard an NCAA dev basically dismiss the latter. I could live with that if kick and punt returns were a thing.

Who have you run dynasties with in the past? Who are you eyeing in the upcoming game?

I ran with Oklahoma in 2003. Back then, only the Big 12 and SEC had conference championship games. The annual game against Okie St. was always a fun, tough matchup.

In 2004, I ran with Notre Dame and Pedo State in 2004.

I don't like either of those teams. But, I like Notre Dame's uni's, rivalries, and that field. Pedo St. has a cool stadium and clean uni's.

I never played with teams like UM or LSU, especially back when we were actually good. I liked playing against those types of teams.

Not sure who I'll run with in the new game. I dislike almost everyone. I definitely won't play with anyone who my boy ran with and left his stench on. That'd be like dating his ex. That means no to: Colorado, Auburn, and Taint (I'd die before playing with them, anyways).

Big 12 teams don't play defense. ACC teams don't have enough juice for me. I prefer occasional games against the SEC, rather than playing in the conference.

Decisions decisions. Maybe I'll give Sparty a look or end up back in Norman.

Who have you run dynasties with in the past? Who are you eyeing in the upcoming game?

I ran with Oklahoma in 2003. Back then, only the Big 12 and SEC had conference championship games. The annual game against Okie St. was always a fun, tough matchup.

I don't like either of those teams. But, I like Notre Dame's uni's, rivalries, and that field. Pedo St. has a cool stadium and clean uni's.

I never played with teams like UM or LSU, especially back when we were actually good. I liked playing against those types of teams.

Not sure who I'll run with in the new game. I dislike almost everyone. I definitely won't play with anyone who my boy ran with and left his stench on. That'd be like dating his ex. That means no to: Colorado, Auburn, and Taint (I'd die before playing with them, anyways).

Big 12 teams don't play defense. ACC teams don't have enough juice for me. I prefer occasional games against the SEC, rather than playing in the conference.

Usually find myself eventually coaching for USC or Ohio state, at some point after starting at New Mexico or Akron. Idk why I usually start with those two lol

Advertisement

The world where EA made millions off of the franchise without paying a dime to student athletes, that's the world we live in. Amazing how many people enjoy capitalism until someone gets something and that something directly affects one's life. I'll never have a problem with any working stiff standing up against corporations and getting everything they can. I don't work for free and I don't expect college athletes to treat their name and likeness as something that can be tossed away for a miniscule amount of money. Either pay the stars what they want, or take a chance and have generic rosters.

I always run mine with Miami and relive the glory days lol…

The world where EA made millions off of the franchise without paying a dime to student athletes, that's the world we live in. Amazing how many people enjoy capitalism until someone gets something and that something directly affects one's life. I'll never have a problem with any working stiff standing up against corporations and getting everything they can. I don't work for free and I don't expect college athletes to treat their name and likeness as something that can be tossed away for a miniscule amount of money. Either pay the stars what they want, or take a chance and have generic rosters.
As you see I chose the latter lol

Advertisement

EA wanted to pay the players for their likenesses. They were willing to pay more to the NCAA and pay the athletes themselves.

However, the NCAA refused. In fact, former NCAA president Miles Brand suggested that university presidents might decide to leave EA's money on the table, rather than allow player names and likenesses to be included in a video game.

The NCAA was the real culprit.

All of this came out in the O'bannon trial.

excerpt from Court Justice: The Inside Story of My Battle Against the NCAA by Ed O’Bannon with Michael McCann"

"The NCAA told EA that the video game publisher couldn’t pay for the complete identity rights of college players. So that stopped EA from obtaining them. If the NCAA had let EA pay us, all of you gamers out there would have your college sports games. So don’t blame me. Blame the NCAA for refusing to change its rules in the face of basic common sense, not to mention consumer demand."

"Plus, EA reached a settlement with us right before the trial. We have no grievance with them and they have no grievance with us."

1688510829605.jpeg

Advertisement
Back