OT: EA Sports College Football game

Guess that guy was full of ****

You're being very, very disingenuous

In 2017, you said the the game would be out in 2019. That was patently false. The Supreme Court ruling regarding compensation for NCAA athletes wasn't issued until 2021.

Peter Moore, the former CEO at EA, said in 2016 that the game would return "one day." However, as there were still too many unresolved legal issues, no one knew exactly when that day would be. And, no one knew that in 2017 (when you made your claim).

I'll even take it a step further. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that your alleged inside info was accurate. That would mean that the dev cycle for the upcoming game would be somewhere around 8 years. That would rival the dev time for a game like Red Dead Remption 2.

Again, a ridiculous thing to even suggest.

Advertisement
You're being very, very disingenuous

In 2017, you said the the game would be out in 2019. That was patently false. The Supreme Court ruling regarding compensation for NCAA athletes wasn't issued until 2021.

Peter Moore, the former CEO at EA, said in 2016 that the game would return "one day." However, as there were still too many unresolved legal issues, no one knew exactly when that day would be. And, no one knew that in 2017 (when you made your claim).

I'll even take it a step further. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that your alleged inside info was accurate. That would mean that the dev cycle for the upcoming game would be somewhere around 8 years. That would rival the dev time for a game like Red Dead Remption 2.

Again, a ridiculous thing to even suggest.
No I said in 2019 a team had been made to work on NCAA Football again. I said within 5 years of 2017 so that would be 2022 wasn't right there but my guys information was pretty spot on. New games get delayed all the time are you kidding me. Again I was just passing along information from someone who was more than a dev at EA for 15 years. I mean they pulled his main guy off Madden in 2019 to start working on this game. That is literally what I posted. But your right you win.

The reason Madden sucks is because EA has exclusive NFL rights so there’s no competition. If you want an NFL game, you HAVE to buy Madden. As long as EA doesn’t control the rights to the NCAA, there will always be the threat of competition from another developer.

It was the same thing with Lucasfilm. They had a 10 year deal with EA so if you wanted a Star Wars game, it had to be an EA game and they dropped the ball with Battlefront. The contract expires this year and you already have other developers making Stat Wars games . Monopolies suck for consumers.

Just for clarity, EA has an exclusive deal with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC). This basically makes EA the exclusive developer of simulation cfb games.

They've had deals with the CLC dating back to 2005.

In other words, if you wanted a cfb game from 2005-present, you HAD to buy the (formerly) NCAA game.

If a lack of completion ushered in by exclusive deals is the reason for Madden sucking, would that not also be true for the NCAA franchise?

Furthermore, Madden's issues predate the exclusive deal. Perhaps there's more to Madden's stagnation than, "It sucks because it doesn't have competition."

And, for the record, the NCAA series has never had any real competition, even before the exclusive deal (2k released one cfb game. It was horrid. And, 989 Sports' Gamebreaker series never really caught on).

Advertisement
Just for clarity, EA has an exclusive deal with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC). This basically makes EA the exclusive developer of simulation cfb games.

They've had deals with the CLC dating back to 2005.

In other words, if you wanted a cfb game from 2005-present, you HAD to buy the (formerly) NCAA game.

If a lack of completion ushered in by exclusive deals is the reason for Madden sucking, would that not also be true for the NCAA franchise?

Furthermore, Madden's issues predate the exclusive deal. Perhaps there's more to Madden's stagnation than, "It sucks because it doesn't have competition."

And, for the record, the NCAA series has never had any real competition, even before the exclusive deal (2k released one cfb game. It was horrid. And, 989 Sports' Gamebreaker series never really caught on).
Any product that has no competition will eventually become lackluster. There's literally no incentive for EA to make Madden better because it always sells well no matter how much people complain. As long as one developer has exclusive rights, the consumer will get shafted. I'm sure the first few years of whatever new college football game will be great but it will just become the new Madden, where you're paying $70 for a roster update every year on the same game.

Any product that has no competition will eventually become lackluster. There's literally no incentive for EA to make Madden better because it always sells well no matter how much people complain. As long as one developer has exclusive rights, the consumer will get shafted. I'm sure the first few years of whatever new college football game will be great but it will just become the new Madden, where you're paying $70 for a roster update every year on the same game.

Again, madden was lackluster before the competition was squeezed out. And, ncaa reached its zenith sans competition.

Again, madden was lackluster before the competition was squeezed out. And, ncaa reached its zenith sans competition.
Madden has only gotten worse though. You can't tell me that people were as unhappy with them in 2003 as they are today. Every year they release a new one, the more complaints people have. Considering the last NCAA football game was released a decade ago, it's safe to assume it would have had a similar decline to the Madden franchise. Especially since it was essentially the same game just a year behind.

I would play NFL Blitz or Backyard Football over Madden. I don't feel like I have enough control over the outcome of a game. I can't remember which year it was, but the one with round the globe and the anthem with the the mini games from around 2003-2006 was great. I did play NCAA 2008 or so and it was much more fun than Madden.

Last edited:
Advertisement
1685051107390.png

Just make it available on PC and im game, its EA so the game will probably be bad but its CFB so I'll get the first one of the rebooted series.

NCAA was strong even after Madden went downhill with the exclusive license. Was a much better game after the mid 2000s.

If they can get it to play like 13 and 14, it will be hype.

Advertisement
This is something I’ve always wanted to know. Is gaming that much better on PC? If so, what are your top three reasons?
I play a **** ton of games these days as it’s my way to “clear out”. I switched from console to pc like 5 years ago and honestly the gaming experience is very similar. I enjoy having a pc to have more access to more games, better performance and access to way more games, apps or videos to watch while i game. . Overall in my opinion play wherever your friends play. Most of my friends play on pc so it was easy for me to switch over. Getting used to mouse and keys takes very little (i play mostly shooters) in my experience but you can always can plug in the controller for sports games or any games really.

Overall though very similar and where you have people to play with is more important. If you’re a solo player i definitely recommend pc for access to other media and games

Can somebody shed some light on this?
I’m not a big PC guy anymore, but all of the games will have “minimum requirements” for video card, RAM, processor, etc. so there is no exact answer.

Research what specific games you want to play and whether or not you’re playing online could make a difference with your internet too.

If you know a friend who can build you a nice gaming CPU, you can save a lot of money. Newegg and a lot of other sites I can’t recall at the moment have deals all the time if you go that route.

My brother built a gaming cpu for me about 15 years ago and it cost 1/2 the price than if I would have purchased an Alienware or similar gaming cpu. I was sad when I bought Civilization 5 a while back on Steam and thought my outdated cpu could run it, but was wrong.

Just do your research and you’ll be fine.

I’m not a big PC guy anymore, but all of the games will have “minimum requirements” for video card, RAM, processor, etc. so there is no exact answer.

Research what specific games you want to play and whether or not you’re playing online could make a difference with your internet too.

If you know a friend who can build you a nice gaming CPU, you can save a lot of money. Newegg and a lot of other sites I can’t recall at the moment have deals all the time if you go that route.

My brother built a gaming cpu for me about 15 years ago and it cost 1/2 the price than if I would have purchased an Alienware or similar gaming cpu. I was sad when I bought Civilization 5 a while back on Steam and thought my outdated cpu could run it, but was wrong.

Just do your research and you’ll be fine.
The hardest part of putting a PC together is setting the CPU on the motherboard with thermal paste and a cooler. Everything else is pretty straightforward. Of course, making sure all the parts are compatible during the buying process is important too. This website is helpful.

Advertisement
Madden has only gotten worse though. You can't tell me that people were as unhappy with them in 2003 as they are today. Every year they release a new one, the more complaints people have. Considering the last NCAA football game was released a decade ago, it's safe to assume it would have had a similar decline to the Madden franchise. Especially since it was essentially the same game just a year behind.
I never enjoyed Madden. When NFL2K5 came out for $20, I bought it for the Xbox. You could customize your entire experience.

Custom sound tracks with music you had saved on your Xbox…which you could set to play pre-game music, 1/2 time music, TD music, 1st down music, INT music, fumble recovered music, extra points, QB sack music etc…

I remember I had the Falcons in franchise mode and had Lil’Jon, Ludacris tunes set up for everything. You could even have a custom crib and buy team **** for it.

They had a licensing agreement with ESPN, and the game was made extremely well.

Unfortunately, EA signed a licensing agreement with the NFL shortly after for video games and poof…no more 2K games.

EA was always ****…I was ****ed they never even had the option for us to add custom music. All of their licensing for the music for **** artists. They never improved their games an added weird gimmicks that we didn’t want in the first place. Every year people would buy the new EA game and would be essentially paying for an updated roster.

/rant over.

I never enjoyed Madden. When NFL2K5 came out for $20, I bought it for the Xbox. You could customize your entire experience.

Custom sound tracks with music you had saved on your Xbox…which you could set to play pre-game music, 1/2 time music, TD music, 1st down music, INT music, fumble recovered music, extra points, QB sack music etc…

I remember I had the Falcons in franchise mode and had Lil’Jon, Ludacris tunes set up for everything. You could even have a custom crib and buy team **** for it.

They had a licensing agreement with ESPN, and the game was made extremely well.

Unfortunately, EA signed a licensing agreement with the NFL shortly after for video games and poof…no more 2K games.

EA was always ****…I was ****ed they never even had the option for us to add custom music. All of their licensing for the music for **** artists. They never improved their games an added weird gimmicks that we didn’t want in the first place. Every year people would buy the new EA game and would be essentially paying for an updated roster.

/rant over.
I totally agreed until you said all the licenses for music were terrible. There was an NCAA game that had NOFX, Bad Religion, Mr.T Experience and a bunch of other random punk bands that would normally never make it to a video game outside of Tony Hawk Pro Skater. I’m sure EA probably fired the guy in charge of the soundtrack that year but it was worth it.

I totally agreed until you said all the licenses for music were terrible. There was an NCAA game that had NOFX, Bad Religion, Mr.T Experience and a bunch of other random punk bands that would normally never make it to a video game outside of Tony Hawk Pro Skater. I’m sure EA probably fired the guy in charge of the soundtrack that year but it was worth it.
Pixies, Clash, De La Soul... that was a solid one

NCAA 06

Advertisement
Back