OT: Downfall of Tenn Football

Built in advantage for Miami. Is location even 3* and lower rated guys have the skill to be beast in CFB. Plus the prox. to 4* and 5*. If not for that we would be Pitt.
This.

We also need to hope the optimists, public schools and private schools continue turning out athletes.

Advertisement
I knew a guy who went to auburn, a frat boy, who was well connected with what goes on in the SEC

fulmer wasn't the coach he was made out to be, Tenn was simply saban's bama before saban got to bama

they got those recruits because of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

long story short, he's a cheat.
I would assume every SEC school has money bags.

Tennessee is just SEC University of Washington. Yeah they have a championship on their resume, but they only get this hype because they're in the SEC. Their state doesn't produce recruits like Georgia and Florida, and the good ones end up elsewhere.

If not for Peyton Manning, UT is just another average football school.
Tennessee had 5 National Titles before Peyton Manning and 1 after him. 0 with him. They get that hype because they turned out massive amounts of nfl talent and were a perennial Top 15 team for about 7-8 decades. Oh, and for recruits High School Football America just ranked Tennessee the 10th best state in the nation. Do they get overhyped because they're $ec? Of course, they all do. But outside of that not a single part of that was true.

The biggest and most damning error they made was hiring Dooley after Kiffin quickly left for USC. An absolutely awful, obviously terrible hire at the time.

Jones was a miss. In hindsight he had succeeded on Brian Kelly’s coattails but at the time seemed like a justifiable hire. But when you miss that many times you end up with the situation they’re in now.
Absolute truth regarding hiring Dooley and then Bytch. Go back 1 more. Lane was not a good fit for them at that time.

Lived in Nashville for over five years so I still have many friends that follow Vol football,

Tennessee's fall has coincided 1st with the rise of Bama with Saban, and later reached critical condition with the rise of UGA ,Clemson and Auburn's forays into national contention

Outside of Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia used to be their prime recruiting areas. Now they barely receive interest versus those programs in those areas because of the rise of those schools.

To top that off, Tennessee' overall HS football talent level has fallen .....so UT's base talent level has dipped accordingly.

They are now in a classic Catch-22. They can't win without drawing better talent....and they can't draw better talent now because they can't win
You're correct about their recruiting. They used to get every top player in TN which was never very many per year. They'd do excellent in Georgia. That was their bread and butter. They also did very well in South FL and Dallas, TX area. Now, they're getting 2nd class recruits and cannot even keep their handful off in state blue chippers home.
I've had a f2f conversation with Pruitt, and I honestly didn't like him. Maybe just a bad day. I knew Fulmer and Majors quite well, and they were both super personable. Fulmer in particular, and Johnny, depending where he was in his BUZZ. LOL 😂

Advertisement
You're correct about their recruiting. They used to get every top player in TN which was never very many per year. They'd do excellent in Georgia. That was their bread and butter. They also did very well in South FL and Dallas, TX area. Now, they're getting 2nd class recruits and cannot even keep their handful off in state blue chippers home.
I've had a f2f conversation with Pruitt, and I honestly didn't like him. Maybe just a bad day. I knew Fulmer and Majors quite well, and they were both super personable. Fulmer in particular, and Johnny, depending where he was in his BUZZ. LOL 😂

EVERYONE that met them liked Fulmer and Majors.....except the impatient boosters.

Some people forget that Neyland Stadium is one of. IF not the largest CFB Stadium. Incredible fanbase.

It's too bad they've fallen off so badly....but the impatient boosters did them in... and now they're paying for their impatience.

Tennessee is a program that in many ways are similar to Nebraska insofar as they both have large rabid fanbase, are in big conferences but have to rely heavily on recruiting nationally, and on that last point both haven't fared well of late. Always look to schools nearby who have picked it up for their downfall. In Tennessee's case, Alabama, Clemson, L$U, and the Texas schools have hurt them....Same with Nebraska plus other schools in the Big10, including Wisconsin.
Perhaps, but the schools you mention as picking up UT’s slack we’re very good doing UT’s heyday. Coaching matters. When you miss on a Head Coach, your program is set back 4 years.

Advertisement
We couldn't be Pitt or Tennessee or Nebraska. When those teams suck, they don't get players drafted. We get top 5 amount of players drafted and finish with 6 wins. Unfathomable. We have the biggest advantage in recruiting and that's why we will always be a competent staff away from being relevant

Tennessee won one national championship. Their downfall was in thinking they were something they never were.

Maybe there is a lesson for us in there, I don't know.
Currently, Tennessee football claims six official national championships: 1938, 1940, 1950, 1951, 1967 and 1998.

Advertisement
Advertisement
****, man. Let me know if you need to talk, that sounds like a dark place you're at.

You could be right. I hope you're not. Honestly, it may be purely denial that I am holding on to at this point, but I'm too addicted to this football team to quit it, and therefore still holding on to some level of optimism that we just lost a couple of close games on the road, but are at least trending in the right direction.

If you're right, I think we'll know in 30 days or less. If there's still hope, it's going to take a long time to prove that out.

I just can't thumbs up or check mark agree with that post, but I'm with you, man. Although, I guess what I was saying is, we can be fine with 2017 when it isn't ending on a 3 game losing streak of all blowouts. If we turn in a 10-3 record this year that includes a 6 point loss to clem$on and a high level bowl game that's close one way or the other, I think that allows us to put together a pretty decent recruiting class this year and head into 2020 with some momentum. 2017 turned out to be pretty serious fools gold.
sure hope your right this season ends that away.don't think we can play Clemson straight up and lose only six .I see at least a 2-3 score difference.Clemson to beat us by only six would have to play their worst game of the year while we play our best.

“Because he was getting 5 star players, but they were playing like 2 star, and if that happens? Shoot, all you got is 2 stars.”

REALIST **** EVER!

Pretty simple. Phillip Fulmer was pushed out and the program tanked as they made bad hire after bad hire and never replaced what he was for the program.

Won the SEC East five more times after that 1998 National Championship—four double-digit wins in a good conference—but simply wasn't good enough to beat the likes of LSU or Auburn when getting to the big conference title game. Had some up years with the occasional down year, but fans pressured the AD to run him off (which works in SEC country with big boosters) and that was it.

Someone above mentioned if there's something for our fans to learn; absolutely.

Whether it's running a guy off because of inflated expectations, or chasing down the next flavor-of-the-month coach (in this case; Lane Kifffin)—the grass ain't always greener.

Not saying it was or wasn't time for Fulmer to go—but Kiffin, Derek Dooley and Butch Jones weren't the answer—while Jeremy Pruitt; another big name up and comer type, certainly has his work cut out for him.

If Tennessee was smart, they'd have hired Butch Davis after pushing Fulmer out—or in 2012 after they punted on Dooley. Davis may not be the best game day guy, but he recruited like a beast and could've built a solid SEC team as he was about 59 or 60 years old when Dooley got fired.

... and yes, Tennessee fans' egos are out of control—as is their sense of worth in the landscape of college football, which is something some Miami fans need a hard check on, as well.
Butch Davis at Miami in 2019 is beyond moronic. Butch Davis in Tennessee in 2012...well that might have been something.

Advertisement
Back