OT: Downfall of Tenn Football

TheEye

Mario and Dan are upgrades. Period.

This guy does impressive videos, and while he's already done FSU, I felt this one was more relevant to us as a fanbase. Our path to success will require patience in our players and coaching staff and hope that we eventually wind up with an Athletic Department with a football IQ. Until then, we need to drop the lofty expectations.

Advertisement

This guy does impressive videos, and while he's already done FSU, I felt this one was more relevant to us as a fanbase. Our path to success will require patience in our players and coaching staff and hope that we eventually wind up with an Athletic Department with a football IQ. Until then, we need to drop the lofty expectations.

Tennessee won one national championship. Their downfall was in thinking they were something they never were.

Maybe there is a lesson for us in there, I don't know.

Tennessee won one national championship. Their downfall was in thinking they were something they never were.

Maybe there is a lesson for us in there, I don't know.

I dunno - they consistently put together solid teams in the 70s/80s/90s/00s. Not sure what happened but they are a shell of their former self. They used to recruit nationally, get really good skill position guys, etc. Striking out at HC and QB really can hurt you as we've seen firsthand

I dunno - they consistently put together solid teams in the 70s/80s/90s/00s. Not sure what happened but they are a shell of their former self. They used to recruit nationally, get really good skill position guys, etc. Striking out at HC and QB really can hurt you as we've seen firsthand

"You can't spell Citrus Bowl without the U and the T." - Steve Spurrier

Yes, they were a perennial top 15 team. They got dissatisfied and tore the program apart thinking they could do better. Hasn't worked out.

Advertisement
The biggest and most damning error they made was hiring Dooley after Kiffin quickly left for USC. An absolutely awful, obviously terrible hire at the time.

Jones was a miss. In hindsight he had succeeded on Brian Kelly’s coattails but at the time seemed like a justifiable hire. But when you miss that many times you end up with the situation they’re in now.

Tennessee is a program that in many ways are similar to Nebraska insofar as they both have large rabid fanbase, are in big conferences but have to rely heavily on recruiting nationally, and on that last point both haven't fared well of late. Always look to schools nearby who have picked it up for their downfall. In Tennessee's case, Alabama, Clemson, L$U, and the Texas schools have hurt them....Same with Nebraska plus other schools in the Big10, including Wisconsin.

Advertisement
Tennessee is just SEC University of Washington. Yeah they have a championship on their resume, but they only get this hype because they're in the SEC. Their state doesn't produce recruits like Georgia and Florida, and the good ones end up elsewhere.

If not for Peyton Manning, UT is just another average football school.

Advertisement
Let’s see:

- Administrations that for 20 years have disdained football and its people and culture and values
- AD that hums to the Admin’s beat
- Lack of resources for Staff, support, infrastructure, recruiting
- Lack of booster network to support program competitively
- Nearly 20 years of incompetent coaches
- Cheeseburgers and Ice Cream Socials
- Talk about swag while wearing feather boa
- Competitors who don’t even wear protection when they ****** your girl
- NCAA that ignores competitors and is all over ****** with UM
- Fans that act surprised

What’d I miss?

Advertisement
The biggest and most damning error they made was hiring Dooley after Kiffin quickly left for USC. An absolutely awful, obviously terrible hire at the time.

Jones was a miss. In hindsight he had succeeded on Brian Kelly’s coattails but at the time seemed like a justifiable hire. But when you miss that many times you end up with the situation they’re in now.
Sounds like us sadly.

Synopsis = Corching at its finest

Butch Jones assassinated that program

He was not good, but it's been a pretty ugly string since they forced Fulmer out. Believe it or not, Jones actually has the best win percentage out of any of the coaches they've had since Fulmer (I'm obviously not counting the guy who coached one game). This isn't a situation where they are victim to one bad hire. The program is the problem, not the victim.

Phillip Fulmer
dagger
1992–2008
[A 8]
2041525200.745983400.742870621 – 1998AFCA Coach of the Year (1998)[15]
Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year (1998)[17]
George Munger Award (1998)[18]
Sporting News College Football Coach of the Year (1998)[19]
AP SEC Coach of the Year (1998)[14]
SEC Coach of the Year (1998)[14]
21Lane Kiffin200913760.538440.50001000
22Derek Dooley2010–20123615210.4174190.17401000