OT: Downfall of Tenn Football

Advertisement
Anytime you can get $173.7 million in donations in one year, you won't be down for long. They just spent $1 billion on campus upgrades and will upgrade the football stadium after this season.
20190818_082846.jpg

Ya hear that Georgia?

LOL, we'll see. I still think Smart is a corch, and there are some signs of trouble there with his abrasive personality, but an unlimited player salary cap, an NCAA that is desperate and determined to look the other way, and a weak division will keep them "relevant" and their fans satiated for a while.

They are knocking on the door, but yeah, I think it gets ugly and goes south fast with them at some point.

I've lived 120 miles from their campus for over 30 years.

They do have a rabid fan base with unrealistic expectations. They believe they're a blue blood program because they're in the SEC. They really have nothing else to hang their hat on.

They have to recruit nationally - mostly the SE - because the state and surrounding areas just don't produce many D1 caliber players.

Their claim to fame is having 6 NC's - 2 of which were in the 30's, 2 in the 40's, 1 in the 50's and the 1 in '98. I hear this horseshyt all the time. It's all they got.

They are not enamored with Pruitt. Because of their so-called "pedigree", they thought another high profile coach would be at their disposal. The Monkey Boy debacle was a complete disaster.

After firing Fat Fulmer, they bring him back as the AD believing he'll be their savior. His hands are tied, as others have been by a couple of bone headed boosters.

Lastly, they're always good for a great laugh by me.

This guy does impressive videos, and while he's already done FSU, I felt this one was more relevant to us as a fanbase. Our path to success will require patience in our players and coaching staff and hope that we eventually wind up with an Athletic Department with a football IQ. Until then, we need to drop the lofty expectations.

Did our BOT share "how to destroy your own legacy" notes with theirs?

Advertisement
Lived in Nashville for over five years so I still have many friends that follow Vol football,

Tennessee's fall has coincided 1st with the rise of Bama with Saban, and later reached critical condition with the rise of UGA ,Clemson and Auburn's forays into national contention

Outside of Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia used to be their prime recruiting areas. Now they barely receive interest versus those programs in those areas because of the rise of those schools.

To top that off, Tennessee' overall HS football talent level has fallen .....so UT's base talent level has dipped accordingly.

They are now in a classic Catch-22. They can't win without drawing better talent....and they can't draw better talent now because they can't win

Last edited:
I dunno - they consistently put together solid teams in the 70s/80s/90s/00s. Not sure what happened but they are a shell of their former self. They used to recruit nationally, get really good skill position guys, etc. Striking out at HC and QB really can hurt you as we've seen firsthand

They were really good in the 20s/30s/40s/50s/60s and tailed off in the early 70s and didn't get really good again until 1985. They have resources out the wazoo and a HUGE alumni base. If any program in the FBS has underachieved, it is Tennessee.

This might be the most intelligent thread on the front page of CIS.

They thought they were Bama Lite and they are closer to Kentucky

Part of the problem was knowing what you had. Fulmer got run out, as did Butch Jones, because they were perceived to be not winning enough at the time. Unreasonable expectations. They are now chasing the horse.

Maybe a lesson, there.

Advertisement
I dunno - they consistently put together solid teams in the 70s/80s/90s/00s. Not sure what happened but they are a shell of their former self. They used to recruit nationally, get really good skill position guys, etc. Striking out at HC and QB really can hurt you as we've seen firsthand

Pretty simple. Phillip Fulmer was pushed out and the program tanked as they made bad hire after bad hire and never replaced what he was for the program.

Won the SEC East five more times after that 1998 National Championship—four double-digit wins in a good conference—but simply wasn't good enough to beat the likes of LSU or Auburn when getting to the big conference title game. Had some up years with the occasional down year, but fans pressured the AD to run him off (which works in SEC country with big boosters) and that was it.

Someone above mentioned if there's something for our fans to learn; absolutely.

Whether it's running a guy off because of inflated expectations, or chasing down the next flavor-of-the-month coach (in this case; Lane Kifffin)—the grass ain't always greener.

Not saying it was or wasn't time for Fulmer to go—but Kiffin, Derek Dooley and Butch Jones weren't the answer—while Jeremy Pruitt; another big name up and comer type, certainly has his work cut out for him.

If Tennessee was smart, they'd have hired Butch Davis after pushing Fulmer out—or in 2012 after they punted on Dooley. Davis may not be the best game day guy, but he recruited like a beast and could've built a solid SEC team as he was about 59 or 60 years old when Dooley got fired.

... and yes, Tennessee fans' egos are out of control—as is their sense of worth in the landscape of college football, which is something some Miami fans need a hard check on, as well.

They are now in a classic Catch-22. They can't win without drawing better talent....and they can't draw better talent now because they can't win

Feels familiar....

By no means am I saying we are the same as UT, but I'm done hearing that we need years of stellar recruiting classes before we can expect to win again. That's the same as saying that we can never expect to win again. We have to find a way to win ten games, win the Coastal, and at least not **** our pants in the ACCCG with the current level of talent that we have. We are simply not going to stack top 5-10 classes year after year while going 8-5 or 7-6, or even 9-4.

Pretty simple. Phillip Fulmer was pushed out and the program tanked as they made bad hire after bad hire and never replaced what he was for the program.

Won the SEC East five more times after that 1998 National Championship—four double-digit wins in a good conference—but simply wasn't good enough to beat the likes of LSU or Auburn when getting to the big conference title game. Had some up years with the occasional down year, but fans pressured the AD to run him off (which works in SEC country with big boosters) and that was it.

Someone above mentioned if there's something for our fans to learn; absolutely.

Whether it's running a guy off because of inflated expectations, or chasing down the next flavor-of-the-month coach (in this case; Lane Kifffin)—the grass ain't always greener.

Not saying it was or wasn't time for Fulmer to go—but Kiffin, Derek Dooley and Butch Jones weren't the answer—while Jeremy Pruitt; another big name up and comer type, certainly has his work cut out for him.

If Tennessee was smart, they'd have hired Butch Davis after pushing Fulmer out—or in 2012 after they punted on Dooley. Davis may not be the best game day guy, but he recruited like a beast and could've built a solid SEC team as he was about 59 or 60 years old when Dooley got fired.

... and yes, Tennessee fans' egos are out of control—as is their sense of worth in the landscape of college football, which is something some Miami fans need a hard check on, as well.

Kiffin really screwed them royally. And then hiring Derek Dooley was truly one of the worst hires at any FBS school that I can remember. The dude wasn't even a winner at Louisiana Tech. If he wasn't Vince's son and a Saban disciple, he'd be nothing more than a position coach. You got to figure Odom and Dooley are on the hot seat at Mizzou.

Phil Fulmer turned rat and fate puts its boot right up his and Tennessee’s football programs ***, deservedly so.

Go Canes!

Advertisement

This guy does impressive videos, and while he's already done FSU, I felt this one was more relevant to us as a fanbase. Our path to success will require patience in our players and coaching staff and hope that we eventually wind up with an Athletic Department with a football IQ. Until then, we need to drop the lofty expectations.

I think Tennessee is having a difficult time adapting to the fact that Bama and Clemson have become national powers while they were down and they can’t beat them for the local recruits, Trevor Lawrence for example grew up in East Tennessee, was a Vol fan and Peyton Manning was his idol yet he ended up at Clemson. A kid like that could have changed everything for Tennessee but he went elsewhere. In 2004 Tennessee would have likely landed Trevor Lawrence. However, they do recruit well enough to beat BYU etc. so there is no explaining that, just a culture of underachieving.

Advertisement
Feels familiar....

By no means am I saying we are the same as UT, but I'm done hearing that we need years of stellar recruiting classes before we can expect to win again. That's the same as saying that we can never expect to win again. We have to find a way to win ten games, win the Coastal, and at least not **** our pants in the ACCCG with the current level of talent that we have. We are simply not going to stack top 5-10 classes year after year while going 8-5 or 7-6, or even 9-4.

We did that with Richt, but our loudest fans were glass half emptying his achievements. I believe we will look back with envy at 2017, Rosier and all.

Tennessee is just SEC University of Washington. Yeah they have a championship on their resume, but they only get this hype because they're in the SEC. Their state doesn't produce recruits like Georgia and Florida, and the good ones end up elsewhere.

If not for Peyton Manning, UT is just another average football school.

Don’t disrespect UW like that.

I knew a guy who went to auburn, a frat boy, who was well connected with what goes on in the SEC

fulmer wasn't the coach he was made out to be, Tenn was simply saban's bama before saban got to bama

they got those recruits because of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

long story short, he's a cheat.

We did that with Richt, but our loudest fans were glass half emptying his achievements. I believe we will look back with envy at 2017, Rosier and all.

****, man. Let me know if you need to talk, that sounds like a dark place you're at.

You could be right. I hope you're not. Honestly, it may be purely denial that I am holding on to at this point, but I'm too addicted to this football team to quit it, and therefore still holding on to some level of optimism that we just lost a couple of close games on the road, but are at least trending in the right direction.

If you're right, I think we'll know in 30 days or less. If there's still hope, it's going to take a long time to prove that out.

I just can't thumbs up or check mark agree with that post, but I'm with you, man. Although, I guess what I was saying is, we can be fine with 2017 when it isn't ending on a 3 game losing streak of all blowouts. If we turn in a 10-3 record this year that includes a 6 point loss to clem$on and a high level bowl game that's close one way or the other, I think that allows us to put together a pretty decent recruiting class this year and head into 2020 with some momentum. 2017 turned out to be pretty serious fools gold.

Advertisement
Back