OT: Dolphins trade Tunsil and Stills for two 1st RD picks

Airbornedan305

Recruit
Banned
Per Al Diaz of the Miami Herald

The Dolphins and Texans pulled off a blockbuster trade Saturday. Miami sent Laremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills to Houston for a number of high draft picks, including a first-rounder.

The compensation in return: a first-round pick in 2020, a first-round pick in 2021 and a second-round pick in 2021, the Miami Herald has learned.

NFL Network reports that the Texans are also sending Johnson Bademosi and OL Julien Davenport to Miami as part of the deal. The Dolphins also sent a fourth-round pick to Houston to make the deal palatable to the Texans.

TOP ARTICLES

What an unusual Week 1 bye week meansfor coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes

It was a stunner, consider Tunsil-to-Houston appeared dead earlier in the day.

That’s because the Texans shipped Jadeveon Clowney to the Seahawks for a third-round pick and linebackers Barkevious Mingo and Jacob Martin.

But Chris Grier kept at it, and a deal got done, pending physicals.

Conversations between the Dolphins and Texans about a potential Tunsil trade continued even after Miami landing Clowney no longer became possible, a highly credible league source tells the Miami Herald.

The Texans still badly needed offensive line help, and a league executive told the Herald that Bill O’Brien and his staff “will be aggressive, I’m sure,” to land a top talent. The source was right.

The news will come as a shock to Xavien Howard. The two young stars recently sat for a Miami Herald photo shoot, and after the Clowney-Seahawks deal was announced, posted a picture from that shoot with the caption, “Shaq & Kobe.”

Last week, a well-placed source told the Miami Herald that “the backlash [in the Dolphins locker room] would be amazing,” if Tunsil were dealt. “Guys would legit revolt.”

But Grier and Brian Flores are obviously less concerned about the short-term blowback than they are building a roster juggernaut in the future. And with at least 11 draft picks in 2020, they are in position to do that.

Landing another first-rounder for Tunsil lets the Dolphins control the entire draft in April. But it sets up what could be the worst season in team history.

What should not get lost in the shuffle: In Stills, the Dolphins just traded away a guy who scored 24 touchdowns in the last four years and was their most recent Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee.

Meanwhile, linebacker Kiko Alonso remains — for now — a member of the team despite cleaning out his locker before Saturday’s cuts. The Dolphins have until 4 p.m. Saturday to trade or release him or his $6.5 million base salary becomes guaranteed.

▪ Along with 10 linemen, the Dolphins kept two quarterbacks, six receivers, four tight ends and six running backs/fullbacks. They have four corners, three defensive ends, four defensive tackles, six linebackers and five safeties.

The Dolphins, over the past two days, released these players on offense: quarterback Jake Rudock, receivers Brice Butler, Isaiah Ford, T.J. Rahming, Trenton Irwin and Reece Horn; running back Kenneth Farrow; tight end Dwayne Allen (with an injury settlement) and offensive linemen Kyle Fuller, Jayrd-Jones Smith, Michael Dunn, Terry Adams and Aaron Monteiro.

The Dolphins released these players on defense: defensive ends Tank Carradine (a surprise), Tyrone Holmes and Dewayne Hendrix; defensive tackles Cory Thomas, Joey Mbu, Jamiyus Pittman and Durval Queriroz Neto; linebackers Terrance Smith, Tre’ Watson and Nick DeLuca; cornerbacks Tyler Patmon, Jalen Davis, Nik Needham, Davis Rivers,Cornell Armstrong and Torry McTyer and safety Maurice Smith.

Undrafted rookie Wes Farnsworth also was released, with John Denney retaining Dolphins long snapper duties for a 15th season.

Also, defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche and cornerback Cordrea Tankersley were placed on the physically unable to perform list and must sit out the first six weeks (or five games) of the season. Both had knee surgery last season.

trade%20copy.jpg

Advertisement
Good hopefully we get the first pick so we can pass on Tua and draft an offensive lineman that will be out of the league in five years.

Tua isnt doing anything for this team. Dont know why the ninja is always brought up like he is some juggernaut cause he could complete a pass over 15 yards...considering the sh*t bama has lined up at qb for years since they have the best ol and rbs in the nation, paired with 1st round wrs and te's

Advertisement
If you could choose between Trevor Lawrence or Tua, who do you pick as your franchise qb? I'm not 100% sold on Tua.

Absolutely Trevor no question. I'm just ****ed still we passed on Matt Ryan for Jake Long. Not that Matt is some unstoppable QB but come on man that has to be one of the worst draft decisions ever.

Lawrence 100 out of 100 times.

As would I. I would rather stockpile picks, get an elite edge rusher in the next draft, and go all out for Lawrence when he is eligible the following year over Tua. Team would be set at QB for next 15 years. With Tua, I think you basically get Mariota 2.0

Advertisement
As would I. I would rather stockpile picks, get an elite edge rusher in the next draft, and go all out for Lawrence when he is eligible the following year over Tua. Team would be set at QB for next 15 years. With Tua, I think you basically 2get Mariota .0

Not even...dude is 6'0 and cant run like Mariota. Pretty good deep ball in a clean pocket though

Finally , the front office may be getting it's act together . Liked Tunsil but love extra first round picks more. Chris Grier may be the GM we needed .

I think it's a good move to sniff out the losers on the team. Players were saying they would revolt if Tunsil was traded. Now can find the problem children and trade them for a bag of footballs. Team has to be completely blown up and start over.

I think it's a good move to sniff out the losers on the team. Players were saying they would revolt if Tunsil was traded. Now can find the problem children and trade them for a bag of footballs. Team has to be completely blown up and start over.
Great point . Talk about chess not checkers .

Advertisement
This trade makes me think that 2020's draft will not be about selecting Tua, but completely rebuilding the offensive line and perhaps acquiring a top wide receiver. I think what Miami is doing is mimicking what the Browns did...acquire numerous draft choices but wait until the very end to pull the trigger on a franchise quarterback. 2020 will likely be "Lose for Lawrence".

As would I. I would rather stockpile picks, get an elite edge rusher in the next draft, and go all out for Lawrence when he is eligible the following year over Tua. Team would be set at QB for next 15 years. With Tua, I think you basically get Mariota 2.0

Agreed. Why draft a franchise QB if you have no offensive line? At minimum, you have to wait another year to draft a QB while you take steps to rebuild the line. Miami may have to wait until 2022 before they pull the tigger on that.

The Dolphins are basically an expansion franchise now, and it is going to take a LONG time to rebuild.

Advertisement
This trade makes me think that 2020's draft will not be about selecting Tua, but completely rebuilding the offensive line and perhaps acquiring a top wide receiver. I think what Miami is doing is mimicking what the Browns did...acquire numerous draft choices but wait until the very end to pull the trigger on a franchise quarterback. 2020 will likely be "Lose for Lawrence".

Thinking same thing. Fins in a position to possibly have 3 1st round picks in 2021. That should allow them to trade into #1 slot even if they have 4th or 5th pick. Hard to believe we finally have a GM who plays the long game.

We arent as inept as the Browns....

If you know the Dolphins like i do...this team will crank out 4-6 wins consistently.

Now we’ll need to draft a LT like Tunsil to fill that hole. I don’t get why teams draft, develop then trade good young players. Mack, Clowney, Tunsil, Landry, etc... What’s the point of even drafting them if you don’t want to pay to keep them?

Tunsil is one of the best LT in the NFL who also had two years left on his contract. Those are the kind of players you build around not trade away then rebuild again. We’ve been doing this same crap forever now.

Thinking same thing. Fins in a position to possibly have 3 1st round picks in 2021. That should allow them to trade into #1 slot even if they have 4th or 5th pick. Hard to believe we finally have a GM who plays the long game.

Can't see any team ever, no matter how many picks they get, trading out of the #1 spot and passing on Lawrence.

Advertisement
Back