OT: Dolphins 2nd/3rd Round Draft Picks

Advertisement
9A3AD177-D28F-43AE-A858-A6959699C4D6.jpeg

Advertisement
Gesicki might be the worst blocker i've ever seen.

If Miami doesn't use him correctly, the pick won't make much sense. He's not physical and doesn't work the underneath routes very well.....he's more effective running verticals (seams, posts, corners, etc). If used correctly, he can be a weapon but you must flex him and use motion to isolate against LBs/DBs and not keep him in-line.

If Miami doesn't use him correctly, the pick won't make much sense. He's not physical and doesn't work the underneath routes very well.....he's more effective running verticals (seams, posts, corners, etc). If used correctly, he can be a weapon but you must flex him and use motion to isolate against LBs/DBs and not keep him in-line.

We are currently the softest team in the NFL.

With Landry, Suh and Ayaji out the door, we are a roster of finesse players.

Advertisement
Herndon is a good player but not testing well and still recovering from injury will hurt him in the draft. He doesn't have great change of direction or that extra burst on tape teams look for, and other TEs like Andrews and Ian Thomas are still on the board as well. I would guess 4th round might make sense for him.

Has the potential of turning into egnew smh. I would have gone LB or G, srry we have a soft underbelly. Trenches n LBs are weak. I believe we have 2 4th rounders, Herndon is a better all around TE.

Reminds me of Egnew.

Advertisement
Has the potential of turning into egnew smh. I would have gone LB or G, srry we have a soft underbelly. Trenches n LBs are weak. I believe we have 2 4th rounders, Herndon is a better all around TE.

What are we basing this on?
Secondly, when the Dolphins picked Egnew nobody heard of him. Gesicki was killing it at PSU (more than double the touchdowns of Herndon) and put up killer numbers at the combine. Dolphins already have a blocking TE in Gray. This gives them a redzone threat and a third down replacement for Jarvis Landry.

Herndon is a good player but not testing well and still recovering from injury will hurt him in the draft. He doesn't have great change of direction or that extra burst on tape teams look for, and other TEs like Andrews and Ian Thomas are still on the board as well. I would guess 4th round might make sense for him.
Obviously I'm a Herndon fan, too, but let's say Miami waited until the 4th round to take him and someone took him before us earlier in the 4th. What then? You're stuck going into the season with crap at TE. Or do you think Miami should have drafted him in the 3rd when he has a consensus 4th round grade? Even then he could get taken earlier in the 3rd by another team. I just think it's too much of a gamble to plan on filling a TE need that late in the draft.

Advertisement
Obviously I'm a Herndon fan, too, but let's say Miami waited until the 4th round to take him and someone took him before us earlier in the 4th. What then? You're stuck going into the season with crap at TE. Or do you think Miami should have drafted him in the 3rd when he has a consensus 4th round grade? Even then he could get taken earlier in the 3rd by another team. I just think it's too much of a gamble to plan on filling a TE need that late in the draft.

When you reach for needs, you just create other needs. They need good players.

When you reach for needs, you just create other needs. They need good players.
I don't believe they reached for Gesicki. He has a consensus 2nd round grade. Is he the right guy? Time will tell. The analysts are mainly comparing him to Zach Ertz. If he's close to Ertz we're good.

I like with the Gesicki pick. I don't love it by any means but it makes sense.....and i always say stick to your board, so if he was at the top, take him.

My general rule with drafting is making your board, applying a slight multiplier to need positions and sticking to it. Let things fall into place and manipulate for value. Minkah was great value. Tunsil the other year was great value. Many others over the years have not been, especially when we panic and trade up.

I would still target a TE like Durham Smythe later. He's a great blocker and seems like a better receiver than he showed on that bad offense. We really need a young tackle and run stuffing DT as well. Harrison Phillips on the board makes sense, as does Senat from USF or Settle from VT. Even with the heart issue i can't believe Hurst is still around. 1st round talent if healthy. At OT, there's guys like Crosby, Richardson, Brown, Christian etc still out there as well. LB is getting thin.....maybe Malik Jefferson.

Wildcard will be Rudolph and Lauletta.

Advertisement
Back