Off-Topic OT- Dogs

I'll be that guy... and prob get a ton of neg reactions.

The idea of breeding, especially pits/bully breeds is insane.

Every counties shelter in America is euthanizing thousands of perfectly healthy dogs under the age of 2 every year.

I do a good amount with various rescue groups and the amount of dogs bred out and then find there way to shelters with burn marks, broken bones, hit by cars, parvo, heartworm etc. - its f'ckn disgusting.

If you love dogs, i literally do not understand how you could ever support breeding or buying them some god awful puppy store.

you have a right to feel that way. IMO though, the shelters are full, not because of the breeder, but bc of the ignorance & irresponsibility of pet owners. my fiance is a veterinarian & the majority of the issues that she has are w/ owners who adopted pets, unaware of the costs of the health n wellness of your pet. it happens daily dog comes to vet sick bc dog ate something it wasnt supposed to or has allergies to something or has some genetic predisposition. when owners find out the cost, they decide not to do the necessary workup on their pet & that pet's abandoned by the owner.

Most owners who buy from breeders are making an investment into something specific that they know they want & understand the additional costs that come with taking care of your dog, with things as simple as the food you give it or being up on it's vaccines. In fact, my corgis were purchased from a trusted breeder bc there's a lot of bad breeding that leads to genetic predispositions in their breed (like hip displasia) & i wanted to reduce the possibility of that as much as possible.

Advertisement
I’ve read about how smart Dobermans are and how protective they can be, but talking to owners … Doberman’s can be a REAL challenge for a novice dog owner, or someone unfamiliar with Doberman temperament. In short: they ain’t all that sweet. I was told Dobermans are seriously high maintenance and you better be showing dominance (Be the Alpha) at all times - especially, if you have more than one.

side note: very good friend has a Doberman he’s had since a pup and he describes her as “a bit of an *******”. He muzzles her when anyone new comes into his house. And all he’s ever owned is Dobermans.
I mean...

They're no different than Latin women, and I've had many of them as well. I had to muzzle my Colombian wife all the time.

But all jokes aside, yes, with Dobermans you have to establish dominance early. If you don't take the lead, they will. That's the way they're wired.

Some of my Dobermans were a little more hard-headed than others, and took a little more work but in the end it's worth it. It's truly incredible how smart they are sometimes. I can literally speak to my dog like I'm speaking to a human, I don't have to use certain voice inflections or "doggy talk".

Last edited:

Attachments

• A013FAF8-6F9C-4BF0-B17A-3D2F5DD3E253.jpeg
    A013FAF8-6F9C-4BF0-B17A-3D2F5DD3E253.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 4B981222-4533-4597-8A70-3CB8E354D14A.jpeg
    4B981222-4533-4597-8A70-3CB8E354D14A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Advertisement
Got this dog for my wife before she died, sweet, loving but dumb. Before that had three Shetland Sheep Dogs, Shelties are incredible found my female Shelties were far more social than the male I had. The male was my dog, was with me everywhere and smart.
1595553531439.png

I’ve read about how smart Dobermans are and how protective they can be, but talking to owners … Doberman’s can be a REAL challenge for a novice dog owner, or someone unfamiliar with Doberman temperament. In short: they ain’t all that sweet. I was told Dobermans are seriously high maintenance and you better be showing dominance (Be the Alpha) at all times - especially, if you have more than one.

side note: very good friend has a Doberman he’s had since a pup and he describes her as “a bit of an *******”. He muzzles her when anyone new comes into his house. And all he’s ever owned is Dobermans.

Had a red dobie - rescue. Couldn't have been sweeter. Chill, but loved everyone. He would just hang. We had a break-in when he was in the yard so, not what you'd call protective. Had a lab since then and my current shep mix. All of my friends say the dobie was the best dog.

View attachment 122986
German short haired who loves to play fetch.

German Shorthaired Pointers are awesome dogs. Most trainable, smartest dog I have ever had.

My Swissy (Greater Swiss Mountain Dog) is basically the inverse of the Shorthair. Stubborn as a motherfvcker and dumb as a box of rocks. But I love the guy, he’s an awesome family dog, great with the kids. And he’s strong as ****.

Advertisement
I have an Aussie, a mutt and a Brindle Boxer. Boxers absolutely rule! This is my second one. Amazing dogs. My Aussie is great but has epilepsy so she has calmed down a bunch. The Boxer, just amazing.

Advertisement
People don’t give a lot of thought into bringing a person into the world and put even less thought into a dog. Then when sht goes wrong it’s the dog’s fault.
If fchihuahuas gained 100 lbs overnight there would be maulings all over the news. But because they weight 10 lbs it’s cute. I’ve walked my dog and had little bichons try to go to war. They’re owners laugh and smile and say sorry like it’s cute. A person like that gets my dog and my dogs name appears on the mortgage. One day with an owner like that and he’s claiming squatters rights on everything including the toilets.

I walk my dog off leash in my neighborhood and he’s happy go lucky. But don’t come in our yard or step foot in my house.
I work 12 hr shifts and sometimes 3 or 4 days in a row. I know some cops and the stories they tell me about home invasions and such are the type of things that keeps you up at night knowing you’re about to be gone all day and it’s just the wife and kids at hime. When I log into the security cameras and see my family watching tv and the couch monster is next to them I know he has my back.
View attachment 122988

Look at him "working"...being an observant protector. 👍🏻

I love Dogos. In my top-3 favorite breeds with Dobermans and Rotties.

My wife's Dogo...
IMG_3535.jpg

Advertisement
I'll be that guy... and prob get a ton of neg reactions.

The idea of breeding, especially pits/bully breeds is insane.

Every counties shelter in America is euthanizing thousands of perfectly healthy dogs under the age of 2 every year.

I do a good amount with various rescue groups and the amount of dogs bred out and then find there way to shelters with burn marks, broken bones, hit by cars, parvo, heartworm etc. - its f'ckn disgusting.

If you love dogs, i literally do not understand how you could ever support breeding or buying them some god awful puppy store.

I don't understand how people can buy dogs either. Unless you're a farmer or a hunter and you use dogs for work purposes, then I could see purchasing specific dogs from specific breeders. There's a ton of pure bred dogs in shelters right now so it's not like you're stuck with whatever dog is available at your local shelter if you choose to adopt. Plus, adopted dogs are neutered/spayed so there is no concern with that dog having even more unwanted puppies that will end up being euthanized. It's not like all breeders are terrible but a lot of them are. Pumping out litter after litter until the mother can't have puppies anymore and she is discarded. So many of these dogs that sell for thousands of dollars have all sorts of genetic health issues. There needs to be a stricter licensing process for people who want to breed and sell dogs. Too many irresponsible/greedy people out there trying to maximize profit.

I have had three dogs since my son was 3 years old. When his sister went off to kindergarten my wife was afraid he'd get lonely. So I went out to one of these puppy mills and bought a $99 mutt. We named him Buddy so that he'd be my son's buddy. Didn't work. The kid never took to him and tormented the **** out of him until he went to school two years later. Buddy became my wife's dog. Loved her and was actually a really good pet.

After Buddy died my wife said "no more". I had no problem with that. Then one day we're driving past a strip mall that had a pet store and she says "oh, let's go in and look at the dogs. We're not buying one". Sounded reasonable. Walked out with a Keeshond puppy, pure white he looked like a bear cub. The puppy was a terror. By this time my son was starting high school. He got a new pair of expensive sneakers for first day of school. He came down stairs to put his new sneakers on and...Gandalf the Gray (dog's name) had eaten the laces out of both shoes. My wife started looking for ways to give the dog back. Never did though. Gandy (his nickname) turned out to be a wonderful pet. He loved and protected my wife like a police dog. Wouldn't listen to her though. He only took commands from me...go figure. He was the most beautiful dog I'd ever seen. At age 5 he developed diabetes and he lived until almost 12 years old.

After Gandy it was certain..NO MORE DOGS. Then one day my daughter, who was a teacher by now, drives down from Tampa to visit. She walks in the front door and this furry little ******* runs from the front door and jumps right in my lap. She named him Blaze and he's half Bichon/half ****zu. Then my daughter goes on to tell me that she had a flat tire and had to get it changed and the people in the tire store said she needed 4 new tires. OK! Well she's my daughter, doesn't make a lot of cash as a teacher, so I said "give me your keys". I drove her car to Firestone and had four new tires put on the car. Cost me almost $700, slightly more than she paid for Blaze. By this time my wife fell in love with the dog and had already given him a new name. So, I traded...she got the tires, we got the dog. I did insist on a new name and got my way. I named him Rags. Rags is 13-1/2 now and is the nicest little dog you can imagine. Now he's a good friend to my 6 year old grandson.

OK...that's the story....By the way....he's going to be the last one (I hope)

Advertisement
Back