Off-Topic OT- Dogs

Advertisement
It's pretty hard to get him to socialize during Covid. I was taking him to a dog park, leashed, before that to get him acquainted with other people and dogs. In public he still jumps on anyone if they don't immediately pet him. At home he gets insanely protective of me whenever anyone comes over.

I had a brief stint professionally training dogs and you're on the right track, but I'd try two things:

1) Introduce him to people you know that he is not particularly familiar with, who will do what you ask them to do. Outside the house, of course.
2) Make him sit before he's touched. If you have to use a treat, use it. An interesting trick that works well with many dogs is standing upright in front of them, extending an open hand to their level, then closing your hand and bringing it back to your shoulder.

Then, once he knows these people, have them over.

On my 7th Doberman.
One of the smartest dog breeds in the world. Athletic. Short haired. Ridiculously loyal and protective. Super sweet.
I wouldn't even entertain owning another breed.

Bruno.png

Probably want to do some counter conditioning with him, to alleviate the resource guarding... Lest it get worse.
I had a brief stint professionally training dogs and you're on the right track, but I'd try two things:

1) Introduce him to people you know that he is not particularly familiar with, who will do what you ask them to do. Outside the house, of course.
2) Make him sit before he's touched. If you have to use a treat, use it. An interesting trick that works well with many dogs is standing upright in front of them, extending an open hand to their level, then closing your hand and bringing it back to your shoulder.

Then, once he knows these people, have them over.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. This is first dog I had this young that required any basic training and it is admittedly much harder than anticipated.

Advertisement
I have Dogo Argentina named Zion Came.
Not a breed for everyone especially if you get them from a good line.
I had my doubts about a white coated bully type breed. Had friends with American bulldogs and English bulldogs and the light coat for some reason made them sun and food sensitivity.
This is a hard breed. Can take heat and bad terrain and is just sturdy AF! Loves to be outside more than inside in the AC.
Took him hog hunting once and wow!!! Couldn’t really appreciate the power of these dogs till you see it up close
Here’s my breeders IG

Dogos are some bad (in a good way) mofos.

I had my doubts about a white coated bully type breed. Had friends with American bulldogs and English bulldogs and the light coat for some reason made them sun and food sensitivity.
This is a hard breed. Can take heat and bad terrain and is just sturdy AF! Loves to be outside more than inside in the AC.
Took him hog hunting once and wow!!! Couldn’t really appreciate the power of these dogs till you see it up close
Here’s my breeders IG

My old dog was an all white American Bulldog/possibly pit bull mix? Not sure as he was adopted. He had some minor skin allergies but it was mostly due to diet. I couldn’t give him cheap milk bones. Otherwise he was healthy and would spend all day out in the sun if I didn’t call him back into the house. My current dog is a stubbly little chocolate pit. He’s allergic to everything. Gotta buy special food and take him for allergy treatments. I never knew how good I had it with my old dog.

Advertisement
German shepherd from Czech Republic she is cool but Like 120 lbs and trained in German and I’ll be damned if I get drunk and don’t remember the commands and be yellin at her in German sounding like fckinn hitler or something.

and found a dog in coconut grove.Best guess German shep Chow chow mix. Body and head like a shepherd but all golden and short hair like a chow honestly who knows with that mutt from the nut. If you want the breeder name for the shepherd just let me know.

Advertisement
Here’s my breeders IG

D-lineman of the dog world
Awesome breed

Advertisement
We've had a lab, 2 pomeranians, and we just rescued a blue heeler/sherpard mix.

The lab was a great dog

The pomerainians are AWESOME pets. They have some great personalities and are pretty good guard dogs because they bark when the wind blows, but a lot of fun and great company.

We just got the Blue Heeler because we had to put the lab, 1 pom, and another stray down over the years. The Blue Heeler is pretty cool. They're cattle dogs who "nip" to herd. This is his only down fall. Sometimes when excited he will pinch you as he is nipping and it's a little much around the young kids at times, but he'll grow out of it and we love the find. They're SUPER athletic and a lot of energy so you have to run them. However he's a cool dog.

Advertisement
Back