Off-Topic OT: COACHING BRAWL

Advertisement
Advertisement
I dont really understand why they have a handshake line. If someone wants to shake hands thats fine, if they dont that should be fine too.
Yeah I think this is where the NCAA considering these young men as kids comes to play. They may need guidance and direction but they are not kids. College sportsmanship rules need to be aligned with professional sports because they are ALL ADULTS.

No NBA or NFL coach is forcing players to do the handshake line stuff.

Guys need to have self control, yes. At the same time let's teach that lesson in another forum/setting. I get it, but man it hangs out to dry the kids who haven't grown enough to turn the other cheek after said opponent has been giving cheap shots not seen by the refs...then said opponent makes stick remark in the handshake line...recipe for disaster

Yeah I think this is where the NCAA considering these young men as kids comes to play. They may need guidance and direction but they are not kids. College sportsmanship rules need to be aligned with professional sports because they are ALL ADULTS.

No NBA or NFL coach is forcing players to do the handshake line stuff.

Guys need to have self control, yes. At the same time let's teach that lesson in another forum/setting. I get it, but man it hangs out to dry the kids who haven't grown enough to turn the other cheek after said opponent has been giving cheap shots not seen by the refs...then said opponent makes stick remark in the handshake line...recipe for disaster
You make excellent points. To me it seems like a little league thing to do make them shake hands. Cant they just do like we did and huddle up and do a "who do we appreciate" cheer and then call it a day?

This while incident isn't a prime example of the bias that exist in society I don't what is. I want to be perfectly clear. Howard abosultely lost his ****. No getting around that. Put his players in a terrible situation. Put himself in a terrible situation. Can't justify it. But to act like the other coach didn't play a part in this asinine and dishonest. If he doesn't grab him this doesn't happen period.
It's a matter of intention. His grab of his arm seems to an outside observer to be a "hold on let me explain" to a colleague. As soon as JH turned and grabbed UW coach, UW puts his hands in a defensive palm out exposure showing no harm meant. [EDIT: Was wrong here]

Big 10 had big decision now. They let him slide last year:

"Itwas the second time Howard has initiated a bench-clearing donnybrook on national TV. He was hit with two technical fouls and was ejected in a game against Maryland last March when he clashed with coach Mark Turgeon.

In that confrontation, an enraged Howard had to be pushed off the court by his assistant coaches. And Turgeon claimed Howard yelled, "I'm gonna f---ing kill you."

Last year, Howard sloughed off his tantrum by explaining he's from the south side of Chicago and that's how disputes were settled when he was a kid.
"

Aside:
Turns out reason he took timeout is that his backups were in and he wanted them to have 10 seconds to cross midcourt vs 4 seconds.

Is that a good reason? I got no clue. Don't know enough about the unwritten rules of the game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This makes well for a rematch. I don't really watch CBB but I'll tune into it when these two play next time for sure.
A once wise wrestling promoter said it in his book, its the title of his book and this statement stands true:

CONTROVERSY CREATES CASH.

People will tune in for the next game and spend $$$ to see this game in person next time uf they don't fire Howard.

A player holding back a coach. Gets paid millions and his unpaid student athlete holding him back cuz he got his *** whooped and his feelings are hurt. Soft.
I gaurentee that's why his kids love him though. He's upset because they were disrespected by another staff. He spoke up about it and stood for something. Some times words are wasted. As a player I'd LOVE that out of my coach and respect him knowing he'd go to war for us. That's not condoning it and saying it was the right move. But I understand that mindset as butch was exactly the same way and so is Mario...

Advertisement
I don't think either coach should get in trouble they both clashed u can't even tell who touched who first. It happens they will cool off apologize and it creates a good rematch. Don't think anything should happen. Even in video it's tough to tell....the only thing I see is JW taking a swipe and a little scrum. Kids will want to play for Michigan though after that.

Advertisement

Wait a minute now...on a closer look...the Wisconsin coach basically "sonned" him lol. Howard gave him a fake handshake, said a few words and wanted to keep walking but the other coach grabbed him to force him to talk. Whatever happens to Howard should happen to Wisconsin HC.

Asst coach for Wisconsin who received the "open hand" slap or mush or whatever Howard did, should get the same penalty as once the coaches were pulled apart that should've been the end of it

I can’t even tell what’s going on. How can anybody see what actually happened? I just see like a scrum. I don’t even really see Juwan hitting anybody to be honest. What are you people seeing? Are you slowing this down? I kind of see his hand coming down but he’s obscured. I just see a bunch of finger wagging and people kind of bumping into each other. Unless they slow this down and do it frame by frame, I don’t know for sure what actually happened. Am I looking at the wrong angle or something?

It's a matter of intention. His grab of his arm seems to an outside observer to be a "hold on let me explain" to a colleague. As soon as JH turned and grabbed UW coach, UW puts his hands in a defensive palm out exposure showing no harm meant. [EDIT: Was wrong here]

Big 10 had big decision now. They let him slide last year:

"Itwas the second time Howard has initiated a bench-clearing donnybrook on national TV. He was hit with two technical fouls and was ejected in a game against Maryland last March when he clashed with coach Mark Turgeon.

In that confrontation, an enraged Howard had to be pushed off the court by his assistant coaches. And Turgeon claimed Howard yelled, "I'm gonna f---ing kill you."

Last year, Howard sloughed off his tantrum by explaining he's from the south side of Chicago and that's how disputes were settled when he was a kid.
"

Aside:
Turns out reason he took timeout is that his backups were in and he wanted them to have 10 seconds to cross midcourt vs 4 seconds.

Is that a good reason? I got no clue. Don't know enough about the unwritten rules of the game.
I absolutely get the point your making but again he could have followed him and made his point. Howard a grown man. You say hold on I'm talking to you to a child. When you physically restrain or impede a grown man you better be ready for the possibility that a man may respond negatively to it. At no point did the wisky coach body language seem to be de escalating the situation so it's hard for me to believe he had warm words to exchange at the point of the grab didn't seem like hey man my bad let me explain. It seemed more like hey listen to me when I'm talking to you.

Advertisement
Back