OT: Clemson wants fewer black students

Advertisement
This team picture doesn't exactly fit the lawsuit's narrative 👇

Still not a great look for the complainants when you broaden the roster across TF + XC👇

From my layman's perspective, would seem lawsuit is uphill struggle, particularly with just XC.

Despite what some might believe, resources actually have to come from somewhere. Maybe Clemson's magical money tree died. Maybe they are unwilling to carve out additional football $ to support rest of AD.
Also with the situation we are in with all the COVID regulations, probably costs a fortune to travel and house the team now. Also how many different meets do they have to travel for compared to all the other sports that could have been canceled. I’m sure they checked the budgets and compared costs then decided this is where they would save the most money.

The people saying why not cancel golf or swimming. Golfers need a set of clubs, shoes and a bag. Swimmers need a swim suit and a pool. Track and field have a lot of equipment needed for each event. Pole vaulting, hurdles, trainers, medical, and all the other equipment for the many other events. Swim and golf have less than half the team size also I assume as well. Also the scholarship money saved. I’m guessing the cost for T&F is more than golf and swimming combined, but that is just a guess.

I’m thinking this is a last ditch effort to keep the program, but just have to see it play out to know for sure.

that's a ridiculous last-gasp effort to prevent the school from cutting a revenue losing sport. it should get laughed out of court.
in today's ridiculous world of made up rules and wokeness this approach actually makes sense, and by making sense I mean of course it is utterly ridiculous, and by saying it is utterly ridiculous I mean it has a chance of winning in some appeals court somewhere based on no precedent ever established.

As a member of a non-revenue sport at UM which is now non-existent due to Title IX I can only say that the nonsense of how schools choose which sports to cancel is about as logical as how they hire football coaches in 6-hour searches. In my sports case (swimming) they kept the women's team but got rid of the men's team, except they trained together with the same coaching staff at the same time in the same pool, in the same lanes 7or 8 scholarships in money with no additional savings, in fact the costs were spread over fewer athletes so it became even more inefficient. Again, I am not sure people that make these decisions actually attended any of the classes that I did at UM because I did not learn that approach to business.

Just so everyone is aware, you have to carry a certain number of men's and women's sports to be able to participate in division 1 so they have to carry these sports if they want the gravy train that football and basketball provide. When you force teams to pay for things like rent of the pool for your own swim team to practice out of their budget then it makes decisions like these seem more logical, but only because they put these illogical assumptions into their budgets. Are you telling me the school in Miami would not have a pool if there was no team? Again, not logical. The team that has produced Olympic medalists, world record holders and the greatest divers in the history of the sport, they decided to kill over a cup of coffee in the AD's office one morning I suppose. The best part was they asked for donations from me for the athletic program after it happened! I had a long email exchange with them explaining how Donna Shalala said she wanted UM athletics to be the Stanford of the east, at which point I explained Stanford had just won the men's and women's swimming national championships, how is that for irony?

No one cares about College tennis & golf either but they didn't cut those programs, so their might be some merit to this lawsuit.
title ix is also a factor. look, if clemson for whatever reason wanted to reduce their black student population, it would happen through admissions where it would be far easier to get away with. feds dropped the admissions lawsuit against princeton for discriminating against asian students so now it's open season on finding ways to change a school's demographics if they really want to. not to mention that there are a lot of white kids on the track team and scholastic cross country in general is predominantly white.

academia is about as far to the left as any major american institution in existence, even for state schools in the south. making cuts to weed out black students isn't happening.

Advertisement
I’ve never seen anyone claim that a black person wasn’t capable of dominating a sport, outside of Jimmy the Greek and swimming 30 years ago, the point on cross country is that anyone can be decent at it if they try real hard and run a lot. Since it basically requires effort you see a lot of these kids who don’t have the athleticism for football or hoops going to distance running or kickball. It’s actually a compliment to the athletic prowess of the black man to say that whites are relegated to cross country.

@Dr.L.ThugU loves kickball. He’s also a nonathletic ***get

Gotta make sure it finds it's way to all the white women out there looking to take up someone else's fight.
It's a gamble. They're hoping to get attention and have Clemson succumb to negative press. Look at how many people here are discussing the actual situation vs the color and proportion of athletes. The article I linked was from November, so complaints wouldn't get any traction then, but now they announce a lawsuit?

I don't pretend to know Clemson's finances, but this would seem to be a fundraising opportunity for their athletics program and they're going to let a negative image take over instead.

Advertisement
It's a gamble. They're hoping to get attention and have Clemson succumb to negative press. Look at how many people here are discussing the actual situation vs the color and proportion of athletes. The article I linked was from November, so complaints wouldn't get any traction then, but now they announce a lawsuit?

I don't pretend to know Clemson's finances, but this would seem to be a fundraising opportunity for their athletics program and they're going to let a negative image take over instead.
It's a solid gamble, colleges and universities are at the top of the list of institutions who give into this sort of press.

Would imagine Clemson's athletic program has more money than God. So shame on Clemson for eliminating track/cross country programs . . . but no way in **** this is a racist act. Please, stop it.

Advertisement
This is a factor to this point has not been mentioned here. MANY schools are cutting sports due to the funding losses due to the pandemic. The reason why it’s not been mentioned is it doesn’t fit the narrative of the OP and doesn’t generate press.
which is why this law suit is frivolous

Advertisement
hp_nbc_steveharvey_655.jpg

Why not cut golf or lax or soccer?
Because the golf team is only 10 white boys deep, about half as many white boys as the track/cross country team. As far as lacrosse goes its not even an NCAA team, below is a quote from the team site. Its almost like you just wanted to play some ****** whataboutism without actually informing your self.
"As a club team, Clemson Lacrosse is a player funded team so its reliant on player dues and donations.
  • Fall dues: Approximately $450.00 per player. Dues go to pinnies, practice shorts, shooting shirt, refs and field payments.
  • Spring dues: Approximately $1,400.00 per player. Dues covers all travel costs, helmets, pinnies, shooting shirts, game shorts, team bags, polos, sweats, league dues, coach and refs pay, among other things."

@RVACane this thread should have been moved to the Off Topic forum from the get go. It has little to nothing to do with Canes football, plus the title is completely misleading and inflammatory.

The title is not misleading. That is what the track team says is happening. They are being "directly targeted."

As for being related to Canes football - how many posts have been made saying Clemson is a racist school and that it's unbelievable that a parent would send their kids there for football? Thousands? Now we have students at Clemson who say that the school that has dominated ACC football for the last 6 years is openly showing its racist colors- and that is unrelated?

As for being inflammatory - I forgot how many fake Canes fans are on this board and didn't realize that so many posters would rally around Dabo. My mistake. How any Canes fan could possibly be upset by reading this news is honestly baffling to me. The only two reasons I can come up with for how this could be inflammatory is 1. reading bad news about Clemson upsets you or 2. black people saying they are being mistreated triggers you. I hope it's not the latter.

Advertisement
Back