OT: Bill Russell still the GOAT

Wilt/Bron are probably the freakiest all-around talents to play. If you were creating a player and maxed out all the attributes, those guys are who you would end up with. I mean, they changed rules because of Wilt, and one year he even led the league in assists just to prove that he could. That's wild.

But if you could only pick one player for your team, you're taking MJ. He had all the skills, but he also had that dawg in him, so much so that not even his teammates were safe from it.

Advertisement
I love that Russell refused to accept the ring when he was initially indicted because of his position that other black players should have inducted before him. Like him, hate him, makes no difference but the man stood on his principles. He stood next to Ali.
You should all read his book, Red and me. Russell loved Auerbach and vice versa. 2 guys who were committed only to winning and saw the same in each other. They didn’t care about color, race, religion, or anything except how to win.
I can’t stand the celts as a Sixers fan. But I have nothing but admiration for the great Bill Russell.

You can't knock a guy though just because he played in a different era. Dennis Rodman won multiple rings with his tenacious defense and rebounding titles.

The worm couldn't play in todays era. Doesn't dimminish how good he was, particularly with the Pistons.

BTW, Worm was the one guy I felt that could guard Lebron. If the no charge zone was eliminated and hand checking was allowed; Rodman could guard LBJ from the high post in.
Charles Oakley could guard him too. Close line his *** and then slap him after the game. Lebron would cry.

Advertisement
When CaneinOrlando was a kid in NYC (69-73)....My Dad owned a Deli in Brooklyn that was frequented by alot of the Knicks (Clyde...Pearl..etc) and he became friends with then Knicks Trainer Danny Whelen....was blessed to see some epic games at the Garden as a youth...
where was the deli?Why were these guys hanging out in Brooklyn? What was in Brooklyn?

Bron and Wilt most naturally gifted players ever, but not the best.

Russell and MJ rose to the occasion when it mattered most.

if you think that Russell
Was overrated in anyway, you don’t know basketball frankly.

Fair...but I would argue that Rodman was one of those players that did whatever was necessary to contribute to winning. What he did to become a godly rebounder was **** impressive. I bet he could find a way to be a role player on a winning team.

Most certainly would be a great sixth man/defense package/jumbo packsge for foul shooting.

Bron is the 🐐. Best all around player ever, period. I’ve always used Russell when everyone talks about Jordan having more rings, because if that’s the standard, Russell crushes everyone.

Plus Jordan played with Pippen, 1 of the top 5 players of the 90s for all 6, didn’t a win playoff series without him. Rodman, an ELITE defender, rebounder and overall athlete. Was coached by arguably the 🐐 coach and the competition wasn’t close to what it is now. Oh and the Bull still won, what fifty some games the year Jordan was retired? Yea, miss me with MJ being the 🐐. Take your childhood glasses off.

Jordan would have won 8+ if he wanted to. If Lebrons shot is off you can beat him. Jordan’s shot was lethal, all the **** time and got better when pressure mounted. Unguardable.

Advertisement
Bron is the 🐐. Best all around player ever, period. I’ve always used Russell when everyone talks about Jordan having more rings, because if that’s the standard, Russell crushes everyone.

Plus Jordan played with Pippen, 1 of the top 5 players of the 90s for all 6, didn’t a win playoff series without him. Rodman, an ELITE defender, rebounder and overall athlete. Was coached by arguably the 🐐 coach and the competition wasn’t close to what it is now. Oh and the Bull still won, what fifty some games the year Jordan was retired? Yea, miss me with MJ being the 🐐. Take your childhood glasses off.
what year were you born? LMAO

Most of his career was a little before my time, but I have always admired this dude.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28088224/bill-russell-accepts-hall-fame-ring-44-years-induction
He's in the conversation of being the GOAT. Fo sho. Basketball is a beautiful game. Each players role is so versatile so it's hard to call one person the GOAT.
Bill's resume is impeccable. One of the best to ever do it for sure. I mean. It's mind boggling to think that Oscar Robinson averaged a triple double for his career. Michael Jordan doing the unthinkable. Be like Mike. Magic being Magic. Bird just doing everything right. That's my top 5 but... I really think you need a top 10 to fill out a true GOAT list.

Go Canes!!!!!!!

Advertisement
I DON'T THINK HE'S THE GOAT THE NBA WAS NOT THE BEST COLLECTION OF PLAYERS THERE WERE MAYBE FIVE BLACKS IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE LOL......... I PUT AN ASTERISK NEXT TO HIS ACCOMPLISHMENT ON COURT
I hear ya but you can't put an asterisk by his championships. Dude was a winner. He's in my NBA fox hole.

Go Canes!!!!!!

Charles Oakley could guard him too. Close line his *** and then slap him after the game. Lebron would cry.
I'm down with this i've always thought Bron was a cry baby, specially when things dont go his way. MJ just willed himself above everybody in the big game, you couldnt guard the man, plus he was a great athlete

Advertisement
How is Bill Russell the goat when played in an era full of players who couldn’t start on most college basketball teams today??

Bill Russell would’ve been just another Kevin Garnett in recent NBA history. HOF basketball player but definitely nowhere near the convo of GOAT.

How is Bill Russell the goat when played in an era full of players who couldn’t start on most college basketball teams today??

Bill Russell would’ve been just another Kevin Garnett in recent NBA history. HOF basketball player but definitely nowhere near the convo of GOAT.
Sez no one ever....

Go Canes!!!!!!!

you cant compare it like that man, in any sport. Evolution

Advertisement
Back