OT: Bill Russell still the GOAT

When CaneinOrlando was a kid in NYC (69-73)....My Dad owned a Deli in Brooklyn that was frequented by alot of the Knicks (Clyde...Pearl..etc) and he became friends with then Knicks Trainer Danny Whelen....was blessed to see some epic games at the Garden as a youth...

Advertisement
Agree. I’ll take it a step further - Russell is probably the most overrated player of all time. He was very good but he’s not even top 4-5 center of all time.
@AUcane and I'm not taking anything away from Russell...CaneinOrlando is fully aware of his Legacy....But put him as a starting Center over Kareem and The Dream on my team??....Never......

1. Lebron 🐐 👑

/ Everybody else
Sit yo Crazy *** Down....
1544570_10152855485786576_3365832257010227149_n.jpg

@AUcane and I'm not taking anything away from Russell...CaneinOrlando is fully aware of his Legacy....But put him as a starting Center over Kareem and The Dream on my team??....Never......

agree. For me, Hakeem, wilt, Kareem, Shaq are all ahead of him. As for the 5th, Russell probably gets the nod but one can make an arguement for DRob or Ewing as well imo

Advertisement
agree. For me, Hakeem, wilt, Kareem, Shaq are all ahead of him. As for the 5th, Russell probably gets the nod but one can make an arguement for DRob or Ewing as well imo
Russell played on the best team and won titles because of it. Bill Cartwright won three titles in a row, so does that make him better than every other centre that didn't? I'm with you. I'd take a number of guys over Russell. That being said, he was exactly what the Celtics needed. He was a great team player, and swapping out a more talented player could have ruined team chemistry.

By the way, I hate that I can't type the word c e n t e r without it being corrected to centre.

1. Lebron 🐐 👑

/ Everybody else
🤔 no BUT one day you’ll get to meet a dumb kid that will tell you some guy in “today’s game” is the best ever. You’ll just laugh and think “I saw both/most and you’re an idiot”. You have no clue. Labron is a great player, but he’s not the greatest anything other than the best of his era. I absolutely love his game and think he’s done a serviceable job as a leader too. He’s an wonderful basketball player.

Last edited:
Lebron James would be the face of the NBA In any era in basketball history.

And lol at Dennis Rodmans sorry *** being able to guard Lebron. he wouldn’t even be good enough for the G League in this era.
Your not so crazy after all..**** I could “guard” Lebron. The effectiveness of it tho wouldn’t put a dent in his game..same with anyone else. When It come to great offensive players you not stopping them with a single player. Your whole defensive gameplan has to be he geared too stopping them. As far as Michael or pipp. In reality, the bull would not use mike as a primary defender on bron, it would certainly be pippen or Rodman..Lebron 6”8 260 so physically they aren’t bothering him. Their quickness would, but great offensive players adjust too that. If you going by 90s b-ball rules like ppl often bring up, not only can the defense be slightly more physical (ppl overstate the effects when u consider muggs and other small guards was quite effective in this era) but the offensive screens, and individuals could take advantage of it too. Along with there being more one v one defense as opposed of today. All this said prime Lebron is too big, strong, skilled and b-ball IQ too high for him to not dominate any era

Melo? Ha dude is trash
Yeah You tripping..melo just didn’t take care of his body like he should’ve and was about that money more than winning in his prime..remember it was gonna be melo, wade and Lebron team up. If that would’ve happened melo would’ve been influenced by Lebron enough on a everyday basis to extend his prime

Advertisement
I swear Lebron gets sooooo much disrespect..nobody in history could shutdown Lebron..nobody in history could shutdown Kobe, AI, melo, Jordan, harden etc etc...great offensive players can not be stopped by one defender
Harden. LOL That dude is soft as charmin. His game would have been absolute suffocated by defenses like the bad boys or the early 90s knicks, back when offensive players weren't given space to operate and defenders had their hands on you literally every second of the game (see: hand checking). But that's not the rule set he plays under, and his game is other-worldly under the current No-D rules, I'll give him that.

🤔 no BUT one day you’ll get to meet a dumb kid that will tell you some guy in “today’s game” is the best ever. You’ll just laugh and think “I saw both/most and you’re an idiot”. You have no clue. Labron is a great player, but he’s not the greatest anything other than the best of his era. I absolutely love his game and think he’s done a serviceable job as a leader too. He’s an wonderful basketball player.
Yup and if Giannis gets a jumper and improves his handles more it very well might be him..but Lebron IQ sets him apart along with being the best pure athlete to step foot in the league when you consider strength, speed, durability. The man 35 and he was so far and beyond the best this era that even in decline he is at the top. This was supposed to be the year we all saw him slip in the 5-8 range as best players rn..but early on it looks like he has at least 2-3 years at a legit top 5 level unless catastrophic injury occurs

Harden. LOL That dude is soft as charmin. His game would have been absolute suffocated by defenses like the bad boys or the early 90s knicks, back when offensive players weren't given space to operate and defenders had their hands on you literally every second of the game (see: hand checking). But that's not the rule set he plays under, and his game is other-worldly under the current No-D rules, I'll give him that.
Yeahhh I guess you think kyrie would’ve been shut down in that era too..harden is 6-5 230, solid..just averaged 36..best scoring season since MJ...if a guy like Reggie Miller can survive in that era then harden, with better athleticism, size and handle would do just fine. Best combo guard handles of all time. Don’t @me

My dad took me to see the Sixers vs Celts as a kid. Russell vs Wilt. Hondo, Sam and KC Jones, Hal Greer and Chet the Jet Walker and Wally Jones and company for the Sixers. Man..... epic stuff. Im from Philly and as unstoppable as Wilt could be, I always thought Russell was the GOAT. Its all about the Championships.

Advertisement
Yeahhh I guess you think kyrie would’ve been shut down in that era too..harden is 6-5 230, solid..just averaged 36..best scoring season since MJ...if a guy like Reggie Miller can survive in that era then harden, with better athleticism, size and handle would do just fine. Best combo guard handles of all time. Don’t @me

Harden would be very similar to Miller in that era, I agree. Reggie had some nice games, but he wasn't a dominating player that no one could stop.

I'm just commenting on the difference in rule sets that have allowed a game like Harden's to become so dominant in the modern era. His game is almost entirely built off the space that the current defensive rule set provides. Literally, almost every patented move of his is created to take advantage of that. Good for him! He's one of the best scorers the game has ever seen, and he arguably has more technical skill with a basketball than any of the old era players. But LMAO at your remark that no one in NBA history could shut down Harden. No one can now, yes, but that's because you can't play defense the same anymore. Harden and contact are like superman and kryptonite. I can promise you James Harden isn't averaging 36pts per game against the 1991 Knicks.

LBJ's game would have translated to the old era. He would have averaged 30+pts vs those style of defenses, just like MJ did. Players like Harden and Steph's game would not have, at least not remotely to the same level. That style of modern player is a manifestation of the scoring-based rule set the league spent two decades working towards.

Last edited:
Harden would be very similar to Miller in that era, I agree. Reggie had some nice games, but he wasn't a dominating player that no one could stop.

I'm just commenting on the difference in rule sets that have allowed a game like Harden's to become so dominant in the modern era. His game is almost entirely built off the space that the current defensive rule set provides. Literally, almost every patented move of his is created to take advantage of that. Good for him! He's one of the best scorers the game has ever seen, and he arguably has more technical skill with a basketball than any of the old era players. But LMAO at your remark that no one in NBA history could shut down Harden. No one can now, yes, but that's because you can't play defense the same anymore. Harden and contact are like superman and kryptonite. I can promise you James Harden isn't averaging 36pts per game against the 1991 Knicks.

LBJ's game would have translated to the old era. He would have averaged 30+pts vs those style of defenses, just like MJ did. Players like Harden and Steph's game would not have, at least not remotely to the same level. That style of modern player is a manifestation of the scoring-based rule set the league spent two decades working towards.
steph/ harden would translate why? Because they are too skilled not too. Skill translates in any era. Ask Larry bird. With harden he’s also, as I stated a plus athlete along with that skill. Now I don’t think hardens style is conducive to winning championships, but getting numbers, yes.

Advertisement
steph/ harden would translate why? Because they are too skilled not too. Skill translates in any era. Ask Larry bird. With harden he’s also, as I stated a plus athlete along with that skill. Now I don’t think hardens style is conducive to winning championships, but getting numbers, yes.
He'd still ball, sure. I was just disagreeing that Harden belongs on a list of players no one in history could stop. That only applies re him in the current rule set. A player like LBJ has the kind of game that would have been a force under all of the rule sets. They're just so different. Harden is such a lethal scorer it is mind blowing, but he's also soft as sh-t. Soft didn't work back then, so I'm just saying IMO unless he developed a very different game he wouldn't have dominated back then and put up the gaudy numbers he does today.

Last edited:
13 years in the league.

12 years he played in the finals.

11 championships.

The finals MVP is named after him.

GOAT.

As much as I like MJ, he's 1A compared to Big Bill.
Boy that'll open a can o worms, most o my life MJ has been considered the man

Bron is the 🐐. Best all around player ever, period. I’ve always used Russell when everyone talks about Jordan having more rings, because if that’s the standard, Russell crushes everyone.

Plus Jordan played with Pippen, 1 of the top 5 players of the 90s for all 6, didn’t a win playoff series without him. Rodman, an ELITE defender, rebounder and overall athlete. Was coached by arguably the 🐐 coach and the competition wasn’t close to what it is now. Oh and the Bull still won, what fifty some games the year Jordan was retired? Yea, miss me with MJ being the 🐐. Take your childhood glasses off.

Advertisement
Back