OT - Better Area to Visit for a Long Weekend in Florida?

Siesta Key was a hidden gem at one point. Not many people knew about it. Now because of the reality show on MTV that thing is about to blow up.

Advertisement
Thanks everyone.. Leaning towards Sarasota/Siesta Key area

Anyone have hotel recommendations? The Westin in Sarasota looked nice (rooftop pool) and was reasonably priced. Not on the beach, but thats fine.

Also came across the Zota Beach Resort in Longboat Key, which looks like a steal, I just don't know how far it is from things (restaurants, bars, etc.)
Zota is a steal and it's very nice...it's just halfway from nothing on longboat Key. About a 10 minute drive to St. Armands Circle (shops and dining). However it's a great property.

Stay at the Westin downtown or Art Ovation. Both are new hotels with rooftop bars right downtown. Both are about a 15-20 minutes uber ride to Siesta Key beach or about 10 mins to Lido beach. Siesta Key is what we are known for as beaches go. Sugar white sand that you only find in the panhandle about a football field long. Westin and Art Ovation are both downtown and you will have amazing dining options and some good nightlife 5 minute walk away.

Siesta Key was a hidden gem at one point. Not many people knew about it. Now because of the reality show on MTV that thing is about to blow up.
that show has nothing to do with it to be honest....Dr Beach naming us the top beach in the world had a lot to do with it a few years ago. You are correct tho when you say the hidden gem is getting out there.

Zota is a steal and it's very nice...it's just halfway from nothing on longboat Key. About a 10 minute drive to St. Armands Circle (shops and dining). However it's a great property.

Stay at the Westin downtown or Art Ovation. Both are new hotels with rooftop bars right downtown. Both are about a 15-20 minutes uber ride to Siesta Key beach or about 10 mins to Lido beach. Siesta Key is what we are known for as beaches go. Sugar white sand that you only find in the panhandle about a football field long. Westin and Art Ovation are both downtown and you will have amazing dining options and some good nightlife 5 minute walk away.

Perfect, thanks. We'll be renting a car so driving 10-15 min places isn't a big deal. Is it difficult to park at the popular beaches?

Perfect, thanks. We'll be renting a car so driving 10-15 min places isn't a big deal. Is it difficult to park at the popular beaches?
It can be tough to park at some of the beaches, but they just did a lot of parking lot work at Siesta to increase capacity. Get there a little early, like 1030 and you should be fine. You'll probably want to get off the beach and into the "Village" (that's the beach bar scene) around 230 as it gets pretty fooking hot. After happy hour in the village park the car at the hotel, get showered, and dressed then go have a nice meal downtown. I would recommend Owen's Fish Camp or Selva Grill and to be honest i would hit both of them while you were here. However you can just walk up and down main street as there are about 50 bars and places to eat right here. Mostly all of them great and you won't find any chains in the downtown area for the most part. All local owned and local chefs. SRQ is an artistic community and food is one of our better forms of art here.

Advertisement
It can be tough to park at some of the beaches, but they just did a lot of parking lot work at Siesta to increase capacity. Get there a little early, like 1030 and you should be fine. You'll probably want to get off the beach and into the "Village" (that's the beach bar scene) around 230 as it gets pretty fooking hot. After happy hour in the village park the car at the hotel, get showered, and dressed then go have a nice meal downtown. I would recommend Owen's Fish Camp or Selva Grill and to be honest i would hit both of them while you were here. However you can just walk up and down main street as there are about 50 bars and places to eat right here. Mostly all of them great and you won't find any chains in the downtown area for the most part. All local owned and local chefs. SRQ is an artistic community and food is one of our better forms of art here.

Great, thanks. Any bars/restaurants on the water or marinas you would recommend (fancy or casual with good food and atmosphere)?

Have to visit Cape Coral and Palm Beach for work trip in Jan (coming from Boston). My Wife and I are trying to turn it into a Weekend Trip.

Where's the best area to visit for restaurants, bars, beaches, and relaxation for a couple days? West Coast (Sanibel Island/Ft. Myers, or even Naples/Marco Island) or East Coast (West Palm Beach area)?
The best in palm beach is the breakers. You can spend a lot less in Dtown west palm though and there’s more to do.
South Seas Island resort in Captiva is great. Stay in the regular hotel.

that show has nothing to do with it to be honest....Dr Beach naming us the top beach in the world had a lot to do with it a few years ago. You are correct tho when you say the hidden gem is getting out there.

I live in Florida and people in Florida know about Siesta Key. People who live in NY, CA, and Texas, etc don't know about Siesta Key. They know Miami, Key West, Boca Raton, and Ft Lauderdale/WPB for the most part.

Siesta Key is like Clearwater Beach. If you know, you know. That show made Siesta Key mainstream. I have been before the show started airing and after the show and it was two totally different scenes. Its not a bad thing mind you. If anything, it helps the city. I'm sure Sarasota aint complaining. lol

Advertisement
Great, thanks. Any bars/restaurants on the water or marinas you would recommend (fancy or casual with good food and atmosphere)?
Siesta Key marina or CBs for boat rental (reserve early). Right across Stickney point or south bridge. It would be about a 45 boat ride to Jewfish from there and they will tell you it's out of their range to take the boat, but i mean should that stop you? However there are other places to pull up the boat around SRQ bay. Go drive around and you will see the boats parked at different spots.

As for waterfront places there are only a few in SRQ because most of the beach is reserved for private residence and beach goers. Not many dining options, but you will have a couple very close to you if you stay at Westin or Art Ovation. Marina Jacks has a decent sunset since it faces west and there is a little tiki hut that is very close to Marina Jacks called O'Leary's where you can go for drinks.

If you want to drive north to Anna Marie Island there are a couple more options. Shore (dont confuse the one on St. Armands circle) and Mar Vista are on the Northern end Longboat Key right before you cross the bridge to Anna Marie Island (This is where Jewfish Key is located) They are both on the bay and there are a couple of more places that are beach front a little more North on Anna Marie Island, but not as good for atmosphere or food.

Have to visit Cape Coral and Palm Beach for work trip in Jan (coming from Boston). My Wife and I are trying to turn it into a Weekend Trip.

Where's the best area to visit for restaurants, bars, beaches, and relaxation for a couple days? West Coast (Sanibel Island/Ft. Myers, or even Naples/Marco Island) or East Coast (West Palm Beach area)?
I grew up in Cape Coral (70s)...Captiva/Sanibel Islands are a must....
Sarasota Beaches are a must...I lived on Captiva from 81-83 (After Culinary school)...and grew up 20 miles away...

I live in Florida and people in Florida know about Siesta Key. People who live in NY, CA, and Texas, etc don't know about Siesta Key. They know Miami, Key West, Boca Raton, and Ft Lauderdale/WPB for the most part.

Siesta Key is like Clearwater Beach. If you know, you know. That show made Siesta Key mainstream. I have been before the show started airing and after the show and it was two totally different scenes. Its not a bad thing mind you. If anything, it helps the city. I'm sure Sarasota aint complaining. lol
Very good chance I'll be buying a Condo near Sarasota in the next 4-5 months...Loved Sarasota since the mid 70s...

The best in palm beach is the breakers. You can spend a lot less in Dtown west palm though and there’s more to do.
South Seas Island resort in Captiva is great. Stay in the regular hotel.
I was a Sous Chef at South Seas (Kings Crown) straight outta culinary school in 81...
Also worked Bunches at Chadwicks...

Advertisement
Sarasota. For dinner head to Owen’s Fish Camp. It’s downtown Sarasota (short drive from St. Armands Circle and the beach) but it‘s got live music out back where you can drink and order grilled oysters while you wait for your table.

Advertisement

Siesta key
Marco island
San destin
Jupiter island
Singer island

This is not an easy thing to answer as there are pluses and minuses to the various areas. However,

If you are into swimming in the ocean, stay on the east coast. The gulf stream keeps the Atlantic 8-10 degrees warmer than the gulf. I live in Venice and in January the gulf could be anywhere from 58 to 68 degrees. Being from Boston it may not bother you.

If you want laid back then the west coast is the ticket. You have a huge choice of which towns you want. If you want to be on a nice beach, close to a nice town then try Lido Beach in Sarasota. Lido is on a barrier island and is a short walk away from St. Armand's Key (which has shopping to make the wife happy and some great restaurants. Go back over the causeway east and you are right in downtown Sarasota. Beautiful city with tons of things to do.

Take the causeway north and you end up on Longboat key. It's beautiful and you can drive along the coast all the way up to Bradenton.

South of Sarasota is Venice (where I live). Strictly residential it has a nice downtown with some excellent Italian restaurants.....HOWEVER, in snowbird season it gets crowded with oldsters (like me). The averahe age here is like 68.

Another nice place for a few days is St. Petersburg. Stay along the waterfront and enjoy nice views, good food and a laid back ambiance. There's theater and good bars as the population is much younger. PLUS,
St.. Pete has it's own airport and is just about 1/2 hour drive into downtown Tampa.

Hope this helps.

Punta Gorda is very underrated. We meet my mother in law for lunch/brunch there all the time, and never come away disappointed.

I grew up here, left, came back. We like that nobody knows about it - we only show up on TV when Cat 4/5 Landfalls like Donna and Charley roll us up.

But the secret's out; Allegiant Air has this as a hub and the owner is building a huge resort - the guy he has in charge of the project was a big wig in the Las Vegas. Looking like they're hoping to get legalized gambling and get a jump on the rest of the state.

I grew up here, left, came back. We like that nobody knows about it - we only show up on TV when Cat 4/5 Landfalls like Donna and Charley roll us up.

But the secret's out; Allegiant Air has this as a hub and the owner is building a huge resort - the guy he has in charge of the project was a big wig in the Las Vegas. Looking like they're hoping to get legalized gambling and get a jump on the rest of the state.
My wife and I dine at Carmelo's Italian Restaurant in Punta Gorda. Excellent food and service, nice ambiance and great dining al fresco. Carmelo started as a chef in his family's restaurant (Angelo's) in Venice. He was the chef who catered my son's wedding 10 years ago.

Advertisement
Back