OT - Better Area to Visit for a Long Weekend in Florida?

I would stay on the east coast. Much prettier water in the southeast than on the west coast.

Try Jupiter. It's beautiful!

Advertisement
First off, Hopefully we won't have Red Tide, because its down in Collier now. We just came off of a year and a half of it (Big Sugar, Big Phosphate, Disney, Agriculture and aging water treatment facilities and Political Graft, have caught up with our once great state). You can Check the FWC sight for daily reports.

If you're going to be in Ft Myers and the Cape be sure you know where you're traveling or maybe consider renting a Bullet proof vest.

No seriously, if you're over on the West Coast - come to Punta Gorda (30 min from Cape or Ft Myers, about twenty minutes north of where you heard the last gun shots).

We have a great Irish Pub, the Celtic Ray, it was named the second best place to Celebrate St Patricks Day in America. We also have The Ice House, an English Pub. Have a decent place on the Bayfront called Hurricane Charley's good sushi. All have live music.

Do yourself a favor, and take a day and go over to Boca Grande, most secluded beaches you'll find (Drive down to the end of one of the streets near 10th or 12th street, there's parking for a car or two. Its one of Florida's most beautiful Islands - and I was a corporate Captain, and have been to most of Florida's. Gulf Coast is it, not like Atlantic City over here. Can't go wrong in Captiva - South Sea's Plantation is awesome. Take a boat to Cabbage Key and Useppa Isands.
Banyan Lane .jpg
Life Guard Station.jpg
. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Forgot about redtide. You definitely want to go to Sarasota

Port Charlotte punta gorda is very old. Boca grande is nice but you can do better with more to do in Sarasota

Have to visit Cape Coral and Palm Beach for work trip in Jan (coming from Boston). My Wife and I are trying to turn it into a Weekend Trip.

Where's the best area to visit for restaurants, bars, beaches, and relaxation for a couple days? West Coast (Sanibel Island/Ft. Myers, or even Naples/Marco Island) or East Coast (West Palm Beach area)?
Delray beach has a great vibe, great restaurants and beach too. Atlantic Ave is the spot.
It's next to Boca and about 20 miles south of West Palm.

Advertisement
Looking to park it at the beach/pool during the day. Good food/restaurants and cool bars/beach bars at night.
Tarpon Springs, Clearwater are great. Ft Myers beach is a little trashy. Naples is ritzy but nice. West Palm has a great beach (Flagpole) and great nightlife too (Clematis). I prefer the east coast for resteraunts and nightlife, the west for natural beauty, islands, and beaches.

In your 20"s go to south beach.

Yea if you wanna look like a tourist. For me A1A Beach is where I'd head if I want a "South Beachy" kinda feel without looking like lunch. My personal preference is Hollywood Beach because I grew up in the area and is not as popular as South or A1A

Have to visit Cape Coral and Palm Beach for work trip in Jan (coming from Boston). My Wife and I are trying to turn it into a Weekend Trip.

Where's the best area to visit for restaurants, bars, beaches, and relaxation for a couple days? West Coast (Sanibel Island/Ft. Myers, or even Naples/Marco Island) or East Coast (West Palm Beach area)?

Cape Coral has fantastic restaurants. No chains, all locally owned, with a recent influx of good chefs from major cities looking to semi-retire.

Slates is a New Orleans style steak house
Nice Guys has unique, but delicious pizza,
Point 57 is really good

There’s nothing but chains in Fort Myers, and Naples is over priced. If you are staying in Cape Coral, eat there.

First off, Hopefully we won't have Red Tide, because its down in Collier now. We just came off of a year and a half of it (Big Sugar, Big Phosphate, Disney, Agriculture and aging water treatment facilities and Political Graft, have caught up with our once great state). You can Check the FWC sight for daily reports.

If you're going to be in Ft Myers and the Cape be sure you know where you're traveling or maybe consider renting a Bullet proof vest.

No seriously, if you're over on the West Coast - come to Punta Gorda (30 min from Cape or Ft Myers, about twenty minutes north of where you heard the last gun shots).

We have a great Irish Pub, the Celtic Ray, it was named the second best place to Celebrate St Patricks Day in America. We also have The Ice House, an English Pub. Have a decent place on the Bayfront called Hurricane Charley's good sushi. All have live music.

Do yourself a favor, and take a day and go over to Boca Grande, most secluded beaches you'll find (Drive down to the end of one of the streets near 10th or 12th street, there's parking for a car or two. Its one of Florida's most beautiful Islands - and I was a corporate Captain, and have been to most of Florida's. Gulf Coast is it, not like Atlantic City over here. Can't go wrong in Captiva - South Sea's Plantation is awesome. Take a boat to Cabbage Key and Useppa Isands. View attachment 100678View attachment 100679. Hope this helps

Punta Gorda is very underrated. We meet my mother in law for lunch/brunch there all the time, and never come away disappointed.

Advertisement
Cape Coral has fantastic restaurants. No chains, all locally owned, with a recent influx of good chefs from major cities looking to semi-retire.

Slates is a New Orleans style steak house
Nice Guys has unique, but delicious pizza,
Point 57 is really good

There’s nothing but chains in Fort Myers, and Naples is over priced. If you are staying in Cape Coral, eat there.
Sir Pizza is in Ft Myers

I'm a Sanibel Island/Marco Island guy myself. If you want seclusion, nice beaches, nice food and great scenary, you cant go wrong going either of those routes.

WPB is like a lesser version of Ft Lauderdale Beach/Las Olas. Its more city like. You won't really get that "Wanna getaway?" vacation like vibe if you ask me.
Me and a friend just got back from Ft. Lauderdale beach/Las Olas area wkend before last, had a ball. Low key, good vibes, pretty inexpensive, and no complaints about the food. Was just a spur of the moment trip.

I can tell you from experience. Siesta key/ Sarasota is where is at. Lots of good food, awesome beaches, tons of places to drink and have fun. Pm if you want more info. I can give you some can’t miss restaurants off the beaten path.

Advertisement
Downtown west palm is ok for a weekend. It isnt huge so anything more than a 2-3 days is probably boring. Lots of restaurants and shops though.

I'll add Longboat Key. It's in the Sarasota area, just north of Siesta Key (easy to do both in 1 trip). Pretty, quiet, and has some solid dining options like Euphemia Haye. Somewhat older crowd, but a good vibe. And the Resort there has a solid spa.
Motorworks Brewing in nearby Bradenton in an awesome spot to spend an afternoon. And Sage Biscuit is a great spot for a late breakfast.

Been to Miami 3 times and always have a good time. Wanted to check out a different area of Florida.

Don't need the crazy party scene, but def good vibes
In your 20’s, go to Delray- Atlantic Ave..they have plenty of bars and restaurants all done by walking. A few hotels on the Ave as well you can choose from.

Advertisement
Also if you do come to Sarasota you should rent a boat, cruise the bay, and party on the sandbars for the day. Tourists go to the beach, locals go to the sand bars. Jewfish Key is a place where Lots of boats will park and party it's a very shallow area where everyone goes.

Thanks everyone.. Leaning towards Sarasota/Siesta Key area

Anyone have hotel recommendations? The Westin in Sarasota looked nice (rooftop pool) and was reasonably priced. Not on the beach, but thats fine.

Also came across the Zota Beach Resort in Longboat Key, which looks like a steal, I just don't know how far it is from things (restaurants, bars, etc.)

Advertisement
Back