OT: Atlanta

Advertisement
Interesting thread, I just so happen to have been asked to relocate to Atlanta for work this week. It wouldn't happen for some months, but I haven't been to Atlanta since the Olympics in 1996 as a kid and am curious what everyone thinks about it. I have to be honest, this is my 6th winter in NY and I'm just about done with it. Would you guys recommend living there?

Decatur if you can afford it

Gonna be in Atlanta in the beginning of March so I wanted to ask those who live in Atlanta or have visited before what the best areas of the city are. Any hotel, restaurant, and bar suggestions would be appreciated too. I was looking at staying in Midtown.

Thanks in advance and yes I’m going to be drinking plenty this trip.

Hit up Vortex Bar & Grill, that place is amazing.

Interesting thread, I just so happen to have been asked to relocate to Atlanta for work this week. It wouldn't happen for some months, but I haven't been to Atlanta since the Olympics in 1996 as a kid and am curious what everyone thinks about it. I have to be honest, this is my 6th winter in NY and I'm just about done with it. Would you guys recommend living there?
My sister and her family moved down there from Columbus three years ago. They like the weather a lot better but traffic is horrible. They live in Roswell, and when she worked in downtown she had to leave for work at 6 am to make it there on time. Roswell is pretty nice thou.

Advertisement
I am from Atlanta. I like Kennesaw Mountain a lot, College football Hall of Fame. Check out SunTrust park and The Battery. Antico Pizza!!

Midtown, Downtown, if you could even find a cool AirBNb in the downtown Decatur area would be dope. Check out Edgewood Bar scene, Ponce City Market area, Atlantic Station. Downtown Decatur has a good vibe on weekends with cool eating places all in walking distance. If you wanna be active walking up Stone Mountain is a joy. Once you get to the top it feels like you can see all of Georgia from up there. If you can grab some of the city scooters and ride The Belt Line and thru Piedmont Park, very enjoyable!

For food. My favorite Burger joints are Grindhouse Killer Burgers, The Vortex and Ann's Snack Bar. I like GrindHouse over Vortex but you can't go wrong with either one, my top two. Ann's is a hole in the wall hood joint but Miss Ann cooks the burgers herself on the spot. The Ghetto Burger is off the chain. The Varsity's Chili Cheese Slaw Dog is amazing.

Also check out Takorea Midtown its not to far from the Fox Theatre. Its a Korean Mexican Fusion spot. The food is bomb *** ****!!! Great proportions, good drinks and very reasonable prices. I highly recommend this spot out of everything!

For BBQ. Pit Boss BBQ, Fat Matts BBQ, close to Midtown and Das BBQ.

Seafood. Pappaduex is great. I also like Steamhouse Lounge! Atlanta Fish Market is high in price but has a wide selection and fresh fish that you can walk up pick out then have it cooked for you. Chops Lobster Bar is also very very pricey but excellent.

If you can hit JR Crickets on North Ave. Thats some real ATL ****. Get you some Lemon Pepper Wet wings mane. Normally long waits. Mary Macs, Gus Fried Chicken and Old Lady Gang Restaurant all have good southern fried meals.

Breakfest / Brunch. I really enjoy Milk and Honey. I believe the ATL location is the only one that offers lunch as well.

Pit Boss is good BBQ but it’s a dude in the parking lot of Club Wax... whoa.
I’d I mention Club Wax? Ok.

There is a little neighborhood about a mile from MBS called the bluff. Its a beautiful southern neighborhood and super friendly. Its the kind of place where everybody says hello and you can keep your doors unlocked. Its a good place for a sunday stroll or even raise your little family. True southern hospitality!

Advertisement
I moved to Atlanta 16 years ago - Dunwoody/Sandy Springs, right below the river. Great place to live and raise a family. The one bit of advice I will give you is to fully understand what type of commute you are looking at to and from work, school, kids' activities, etc. The traffic here can be life changing depending on where you decide to live, and can impact every aspect of your life. I used to work in midtown but now work 4 miles from my house, and my children's schools are both within a mile of where I work. Don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry during rush hour.

Last edited:
Be sure to check out Pats or Genos for cheesesteaks....

Also, going to a Braves game and getting a Chick-fil-A sandwich from a vender is pretty cool.

I moved to Atlanta 16 years ago - Dunwoody/Sandy Springs, right below the river. Great place to live and raise a family. The one bit of advice I will give you is to fully understand what type of commute you are looking at to and from work, school, kids' activities, etc. The traffic here can be life changing depending on where you decide to live, and can impact every aspect of your life. I used to work in midtown but now work 4 miles from my house, and my children's schools are both within a mile of where I work. Don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry during rush hour.

Kids live in Atlanta and you preach the gospel:

"The traffic here can be life changing depending on where you decide to live, and can impact every aspect of your life."

If you live in NYC and move to Atlanta, Mass transit is an order of magnitude poorer. If you live in the suburbs (Westchester, LI, North Jersey) imagine rush hour traffic, ALL THE TIME.

Advertisement
Totally depends on what you are interested in and budget. The best hotel these days is the Hotel Clermont, which is conveniently above the Clermont Lounge and has a great rooftop patio at the hotel. The restaurant, Tiny Lou's is really good too. It is close to the Beltline, as well.

So for breweries:
Torched Hop; Orpheus; Three Taverns; Monday Night; Wrecking Bar

Breakfast/Brunch:
General Muir - ****** deli but done better; Homegrown - hole in the wall southern; Beetlecat - eclectic; 8 Arm - Hipster

BBQ:
Das and Fox Bros are the top two in town.

Dinner:
Brickstore Pub, Kimball House, Leon's, Iberian Pig in Decatur.
One Eared Stag, Kevin Rathbun Steak, Ticonderoga Club, BoccaLupo, - Inman Park area
Antico Pizza/Gios Chicken, JCT Kitchen, Marcel Steakhouse - West Midtown

Bars - I would go bar hopping around Edgewood as mentioned. West Midtown has some good bars in Ormsby's, Painted Duck, Little Trouble.

Not as flashy but remember Fat Matt’s ribs were perfectly tender 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not as flashy but remember Fat Matt’s ribs were perfectly tender 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fat Matt’s has a complicated place in my stomach and heart. It is technically grilled meat, they don’t cook it low and slow. However, it tastes great and so do their sides. Bourdain’s rant on it was fantastic.

Advertisement
There is a little neighborhood about a mile from MBS called the bluff. Its a beautiful southern neighborhood and super friendly. Its the kind of place where everybody says hello and you can keep your doors unlocked. Its a good place for a sunday stroll or even raise your little family. True southern hospitality!

hahahaaaa. Yeah check out "Snow N Da Bluff" on Netflix before you do.

Advertisement
Back