OT: As a Dad, do you let your kid win in sports?

As a Dad, do you let you kid win in sports?

• **** No

Votes: 64 59.3%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Let them get close but come back to beat them

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
Advertisement
Not a father, but I've been a father figure to most of my little cousins and my dad never showed me mercy in any sport. No matter if I cried or anything, and I thank him for that b/c he forced me to earn everything and when I came of age to kick his ***, I did so w/ no mercy. He was teaching me life, and I just thanked him for it. I did the same w/ little cousins, and the greater majority of them are successful, and have thanked me as well.

This whole participation trophy crap has lent itself to a soft society. My dad being tough on me taught me to be a boss in the streets when I was thugging, and a boss in my business life. His dad did the same w/ him, and I reckon I would do the same if I'm ever blessed w/ a child. He never beat me w/ a belt or cursed me out or embarrassed me in front of my friends or strangers, but he made sure to let it be known that you HAVE to earn your way in all things.

I figured this is an interesting debate especially on this board. What do you guys think? (Inspired by Louis Reddick tweet attached)

If I was a Dad I’d bury my kid until I couldn’t anymore, you need to learn how to lose in life IMO
This board is hilarious with all it's chest puffing tough guys.

"I dunk on my 5 year old to toughen him up!"

/facepalm

Advertisement
I'll keep it real. My daughter is 6 and I occasionally let her get the best of me just to build her confidence. She knows I let her "win" but regardless of the winning and losing. It opens her up to be coached and corrected. If all she did was lose should would have no interest in trying new and hard things.

This is how I do it. I beat the **** outta my kids 90% of the time...but I occasionally give them a W to let them build some confidence. They know I'm letting them win...but it helps them stick with it.

Can't speak as a father, can speak as an uncle.

I play chess with my nephew; and no, I don't let him win. We often play on a 2 minute bullet timer. Often he doesn't win, but sometimes he does.

And he knows when he beats me, he actually beats me. Gives him confidence.

Kids are a lot smarter than people think. I never wanted my Dad to let me win; I wanted to beat his ***. Gave me great pleasure when I started to consistently beat him shooting pistols when I was 14.

That's all anyone needs to know.

Advertisement
I am shocked. I would have thought you were the guy that had a trophy room stacked floor to ceiling with participation trophies. It is crazy to think you have done a complete 180 with your views on winning.
Lol done

End thread

I know OGH read his post with his jaw on the floor like it was the twilight zone. Go canes next reply going to be new phone who dis.

So basically you both learned nothing so you had to practice on your own, your dad wasted your time.

You sound like that silly Louisville WBK coach who goes on & on about "kids these days", even though He recruited from the same talent pool as the teams that are kickin' His a s s.

you’re the definition of a dumbass. “wastes my time” no he taught me that u have to work to win and work for anything in this life nothing is handed to u. If u want to hand ur kids everything that’s fine and I’m not gonna tell u how to raise ur kids. But when theyturn out to bequitters it’ll be ur fault

Should depend on the age really. There’s a certain point where you need to help build confidence in them, and then a point to show them what it really is.

I remember my pops started seriously hooping me when I was about 13 or 14, and it helped develop a competitiveness and hunger to get better for if anything just to beat him. But once I was able to beat him, I felt it would take somebody elite to get the best of me and my confidence was sky high.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I never let them beat me in sports bc it’s ridiculous to think they can. They need to understand it takes lots of practice and growth to beat an adult or other older kids. To be competitive in the school they attend they can’t be handed anything.

Video games, board games, etc are a different story. You can sell that easier and it’s not unrealistic to lose so I’ll win some and lose some just so they enjoy it a little and want to do something other than play Fortnite.

Advertisement
Serious question what is your opinion on it then?
Look, I was playing HORSE with my 5 year old on a lowered hoop two days ago. 5 year olds are just getting the ball to the hoop (sometimes) on a lowered basket, from like 5' out. He loves shooting baskets though and being able to play with me. You have to be a potato to think that if I just start knocking down 3's and crush him every time yelling 'in your face' that it will teach him anything other than not wanting to continue playing basketball. I am not counting on my retirement coming from his NBA signing bonus, so fostering a love of the game is more important than anything at this point.

This is in no way condoning participation trophies or not teaching kids they have to earn things. But if you are so simple minded that you can't be pluralistic in application of how and when to apply different ways to teach that, you shouldn't be reproducing.

I feel bad for some of the kids of the parents in here that their parents reproduced and carried on terrible parenting because they can't think beyond the terrible parenting that they were given. Use your brains.

**** no. Losing builds character, and it **** sure reveals it. Kids have to learn how to compete. Learning how to lose is part of that. Beat that ***, till they can beat yours.

Look, I was playing HORSE with my 5 year old on a lowered hoop two days ago. 5 year olds are just getting the ball to the hoop (sometimes) on a lowered basket, from like 5' out. He loves shooting baskets though and being able to play with me. You have to be a potato to think that if I just start knocking down 3's and crush him every time yelling 'in your face' that it will teach him anything other than not wanting to continue playing basketball. I am not counting on my retirement coming from his NBA signing bonus, so fostering a love of the game is more important than anything at this point.

This is in no way condoning participation trophies or not teaching kids they have to earn things. But if you are so simple minded that you can't be pluralistic in application of how and when to apply different ways to teach that, you shouldn't be reproducing.

I feel bad for some of the kids of the parents in here that their parents reproduced and carried on terrible parenting because they can't think beyond the terrible parenting that they were given. Use your brains.

I don't think anybody was arguing the point you're making, I think most are talking about when a kid gets around his teenage years and can actually compete with their parents. I doubt somebody is going balls to the wall against their five year old

For sure. I regularly trash my kids when we box. They need to learn and if you can’t take a punch at 7, see Darwin’s rules.

:haha-smiley:

Advertisement
Back