OT: As a Dad, do you let your kid win in sports?

As a Dad, do you let you kid win in sports?

• **** No

Votes: 64 59.3%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Let them get close but come back to beat them

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
Advertisement
I take my daughter out in air hockey every time. No mercy.

2DB2C22A-2EFF-491B-9FA8-5BED8AC617E8.gif

Semper Canes!!!

I pound my kids mercilessly because I always sucked at sports and need to feel good by crushing a 6 year old. Also, it toughens them up so hopefully they can become the star athlete I never was. Then I can live vicariously through them.

J/k I don’t have kids

Got 4 boys. Never let them beat me in anything. Let them get close so they want it more but when it gets close I destroy them.

actually lost in ping pong to one of them once. Beat him by at least 13 for 10 games straight just for beating me.
Ultimate father son sport right there.

Advertisement
Sure, until they're 5. After that, they earn it.

My job as a parent is to teach them how to handle the world, not to make them happy.

I'm of this opinion even though I never plan to have kids, I'll destroy my nephew's and nieces and be "That Uncle"

Depends on their make-up.
If he's/she's a competitive SOB, beat them 10 out of 10 times.
If not, beat them 9 out of 10.

Someone cue that Robert Duval scene. The one where his son finally beats him in a game of BB.

Can't speak as a father, can speak as an uncle.

I play chess with my nephew; and no, I don't let him win. We often play on a 2 minute bullet timer. Often he doesn't win, but sometimes he does.

And he knows when he beats me, he actually beats me. Gives him confidence.

Kids are a lot smarter than people think. I never wanted my Dad to let me win; I wanted to beat his ***. Gave me great pleasure when I started to consistently beat him shooting pistols when I was 14.

Advertisement
3 sons. Never let them beat me. When they were young, I'd make sure it was close so they wanted to come back for more. By the time they hit middle school, I had to work to make sure I'd win. By high school, dang it, they were working me man. My grey hairs started telling on me 😭

Was never sports with my dad but he was competitive as ****.

Matando la salida or beating him in dominos results in an inevitabile early exit from any family gathering.

And my God if I ever beat him yellowtail fishing....oof. “Las tengo medida dad” to this day gets an immediate death stare.

Last edited:
My father was brilliant in raising me this way: he would teach, build me up, and challenge me at first without making it about a stupid score. So I would have to guard him in basketball, try and steal it in soccer etc or try to score/ dribble myself. I became competitive in itself this way but when I got older and he realized he had built me up did we start doing more games. But my competitive streak had been built that didn’t focus on outcomes but more on the process (yes like Saban) of being competitive.

It has stuck with me today.

Advertisement
When they do wind up beating you at something, you can see the pride in their eyes because they know they earned it. I can still remember the day I beat my dad in one on one basketball like it was yesterday.
Beautifully said. If you don't allow your children to struggle (which a shocking amount of younger parents these days seem to be entirely incapable of) you will not only stunt their development, you take away one of the greatest sources of building a sense of pride and internal strength. Helicopter parenting is an absolute cancer to society.

Advertisement
I figured this is an interesting debate especially on this board. What do you guys think? (Inspired by Louis Reddick tweet attached)

If I was a Dad I’d bury my kid until I couldn’t anymore, you need to learn how to lose in life IMO
Today you need to teach them how to win or lose since "participation" is the norm. My kids are all grown but you cannot even play monopoly in any of their homes without body armor. Never cut them any slack inside or out side of the house. Didn't seem to bother them at all. All have degrees and most have advanced degrees. Wife still lords over them with her Summa rank and perfect GPA though BA and MBA( she went back to college while they were in high school so grades were fresh wounds for them). Thank God I have a Doctorate so I can just dismiss her superior performance. Competition is a good thing, although I am not enjoying it as much now as I did when our Canes were kicking everyone rear.

If you let your kids beat you in sports, if they're six years old or over, for sure they’ll know it.

They will lose respect for you and themselves.

Beat their little asses every time and tell them it would be disrespectful for you not to go 100%, no matter who your opponent is.

Beautifully said. If you don't allow your children to struggle (which a shocking amount of younger parents these days seem to be entirely incapable of) you will not only stunt their development, you take away one of the greatest sources of building a sense of pride and internal strength. Helicopter parenting is an absolute cancer to society.
I seldom beat my dad at anything except some card games. We target shot a bunch back in the day. I remember cutting center at 300 yards with my .270 and scope with bench rest. I was 15 and smiling ear to ear. My old man picked up his Model '94 30-30 Winchester with open sights and squeezed off a round, standing with no support, smiling back at me. I had glasses on it and called "miss". He smiled bigger and said look again. As I watched, the board the target was stapled to slowly fell off the stick holding it up. Dad had hit the stick just where board was attached and broke it off. "Little low but still a nice throat shot, boy." Open frigging sights at 300 yards! Every time I hear the "Devil went down to Georgia" song, I think about that day with me as the devil. WWII boys could shoot my friends.

If you let your kids beat you in sports, if they're six years old or over, for sure they’ll know it.

They will lose respect for you and themselves.

Beat their little asses every time and tell them it would be disrespectful for you not to go 100%, no matter who your opponent is.

yep, I coach basketball too, as a younger guy, the kids always wanna play 1v1, as they’re high schoolers. I thrash them every single time. Tell them to work hard and when they can beat me, they’ll have no problem beating anyone they’ll face on the court. If I let them beat me, they’ll lose respect for me as a coach and mentor.

in summary, crush your kids every time. I have gone to friends homes and played games with their kids and crush them too, and send them crying into their rooms. Life ain’t fair, give them the jump and let them learn early, nothing is free.

Advertisement
Back