OT: As a Dad, do you let your kid win in sports?

As a Dad, do you let you kid win in sports?

• **** No

Votes: 64 59.3%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Let them get close but come back to beat them

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

MichiCANE

Here for porsts. Still captain of the Lane Train 🚂
I figured this is an interesting debate especially on this board. What do you guys think? (Inspired by Louis Reddick tweet attached)

If I was a Dad I’d bury my kid until I couldn’t anymore, you need to learn how to lose in life IMO

Attachments

• C1AF49F6-8583-4034-B8F1-32AB4A8B9FE8.png
    C1AF49F6-8583-4034-B8F1-32AB4A8B9FE8.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 162
Advertisement
I grew up a terrible sport and the sorest loser ever.

That's the one thing I tried not to pass on to my girls, who played volleyball and soccer through high school.

Compete your *** off and take the L like a man if it happens.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Three sons - would beat them and get them ****ed off - wife would get on me unmercifully -told her sports was what I brought to parenthood so we're doing it my way. Their high school coach gave me a great compliment when he said "They were all worth a ****" One played college the other two had offers.

The first time I lost (and I'm done now) was against my youngest who was a great TE/Slot and Point Guard, three years ago in BB. I was 63 (We hadn't played for a while). I had make it take it, didn't have to take it back, and he had to play left-handed without his right shoe. And he couldn't call fouls. I missed a shot I shoulda made, and he beat me...

I'll keep it real. My daughter is 6 and I occasionally let her get the best of me just to build her confidence. She knows I let her "win" but regardless of the winning and losing. It opens her up to be coached and corrected. If all she did was lose should would have no interest in trying new and hard things.

Advertisement
don't have one but if I did I would bury that motherfcker every second, straight up 21-0 his *** in basketball every time we play 21

the world doesn't reward sissies, better learn that now kid.

Got 4 boys. Never let them beat me in anything. Let them get close so they want it more but when it gets close I destroy them.

actually lost in ping pong to one of them once. Beat him by at least 13 for 10 games straight just for beating me.

Advertisement
Don’t have any yet but my dad never let me win. So that I would keep practicing until I could on my own. In times where kids are given everything I think it’s best beat them instead of just handing them everything. I. E. Participation trophy’s!!!!

I grew up a terrible sport and the sorest loser ever.

That's the one thing I tried not to pass on to my girls, who played volleyball and soccer through high school.

Compete your *** off and take the L like a man if it happens.

I am shocked. I would have thought you were the guy that had a trophy room stacked floor to ceiling with participation trophies. It is crazy to think you have done a complete 180 with your views on winning.

Advertisement
Don’t have any yet but my dad never let me win. So that I would keep practicing until I could on my own.

So basically you both learned nothing so you had to practice on your own, your dad wasted your time.

In times where kids are given everything I think it’s best beat them instead of just handing them everything. I. E. Participation trophy’s!!!!

You sound like that silly Louisville WBK coach who goes on & on about "kids these days", even though He recruited from the same talent pool as the teams that are kickin' His a s s.

Advertisement
Back