OT: Any of you Canes Goons from Atlanta?!?

Advertisement
Atlanta traffic a nightmare. Gotta live near work or u screwed. Not four Canedog!
My work days usually start very early due to hospital rounds. Traffic is bad here in SoCal as well, but I am usually at work by 0630 hence, missing most of the traffic. Then I don't leave until around 7pm.

You don’t know how many people I know that are in your same exact situation. 150 K plus salaries, some even significantly more, and literally living paycheck to paycheck. That’s not supposed to happen when you’re between 100 and 200 salary.
This all day. I never thought I'd have to worry at this point. It just isnt what it was years ago in terms of costs of living.

Advertisement
This all day. I never thought I'd have to worry at this point. It just isnt what it was years ago in terms of costs of living.
I'm with you guys on that point. The wife and I actually have a plan B where we sell most of our **** and move overseas for a couple of years and just gypsy around with my military retirement money. Just hit up places like Prague, Thailand, Ukraine where we can live pretty fat on the cheap. Option B is looking more and more appealing everyday :)

I'm with you guys on that point. The wife and I actually have a plan B where we sell most of our **** and move overseas for a couple of years and just gypsy around with my military retirement money. Just hit up places like Prague, Thailand, Ukraine where we can live pretty fat on the cheap. Option B is looking more and more appealing everyday :)
I've toyed with that for years and moving to the DR where i go a lot. My income is not portable at this time so for now I'm stuck.

Fellas, I am pumped over the direction of our program. We got some solid pieces through the portal to shore up holes on the roster. But on a personal note, any of you currently live in Atlanta? The wife and I are looking to move back to the East Coast from San Diego, and want to explore our options. I am from Miami and spent time in Orlando so, I already know the pros and cons with those places. Also spent time in DC, Virginia, and North Carolina during my Marine Corps days. What can you guys tell me about ATL??? We are city folk, looking for a decent sized city with diversity, and nice suburbs to buy a mini palace. What are the pros and cons with ATL? Thanks in advance
Lived there 26 yrs, totally different time. But my daughter lives there born and raised. Biggest obstacle is traffic. Negotiating it depends on y’alls situation. Where y’all live depends on affordablity, desirability. If y’all want the city life there’s loads of options downtown. City burbs, also great. Suburbs, ridiculous. Exurbs, farms small town, Enuff said. It’s a great city, but it’s what y’all make it. Southern cuisine is superb. HEY YALL HOW’S ya mama an em’.👍

Advertisement
I am in the panhandle of Sandy Springs below the river. Awesome. Affordable. But I work 4 miles from the house, and my kids go to school (Marist) a mile from where I work. Traffic can be life changing depending on where you live, so choose wisely and don’t plan on going anywhere in a hurry between 4 pm and 7 pm during the week.

@MotoSniper

I’ve owned at least one property in the Atlanta area for more than 20 years. Whatever you do, don’t move to Cartersville or Kennesaw. That’s not what you described you’re looking for by any stretch of the imagination.

All of Atlanta inside the perimeter (inside the circle that is I-285) is changing rapidly. Anywhere south of I-20 is mostly “in transition” but these areas are blowing up - in 15 years a household will not be able to live within the perimeter making less than 6 figures, imo. Plus, Grant Park and surrounding areas are “established”.

@wspcane has some excellent choices but also consider OTP …Doraville/Chamblee and ITP Downtown Decatur (and neighboring area) is a hidden gem (on MARTA; close to Emory). Marietta Square area is great but no MARTA. Downtown Norcross is also a surprise.

Atlanta is building a park that will rival piedmont park on the Midtown/west side (the area is called West Midtown). There are already homes upwards of 700k there. It will all connect to the Beltline and it’s really close to GT, Downtown and the airport, as well as SunTrust Park.

One of the issues that’s happening to the northern suburbs is corporate flight - companies are too far away from the talent so they’re moving back into the city where their employees want to live. (NCR comes to mind)

The people who built Atlantic Station also built a development in Alpharetta called Avalon (exit 10). They’re building a sister property along exit 12 and I think there’s a third coming on line after that. Those are close to what you describe but your trips along 400 to go EVERYWHERE don’t fit your initial criteria either.

Hope that helps.

All good points and reallly strong recommendations. One small correction - a lot of Chamblee is ITP. And it is super close to Buford Highway, which is 6 miles of amazing ethnic foods of just about every nationality.

Advertisement
Atlanta is a great place to live.

Traffic concerns are overstated. It’s a major city, and has major city traffic congestion during rush hours.

But early starts and/or late finishes help you avoid traffic issues. Just plan accordingly.

I’d recommend renting a place in the midtown area before you decide to buy a home. Get a feel for where you will work and play before making the purchase decision.

Midtown is centrally located, with easy access to 75, 85, and 400 North. You can also get to 20 easily by getting on the downtown connector, which is where 75 and 85 merge going N or South.

Living in Midtown is what I did when I moved to Atlanta. And even though I worked in Northeast, up 85, I settled in Southwest, near 285. Commutes were long. But the benefits outweighed the negatives for me.

Great food. Great events. Great shopping.

And the best thing about Atlanta is that it can be as big of a big city as you want, or ALMOST as small town as you want. Just take your time to find the right fit. It’s all available.

I am in the panhandle of Sandy Springs below the river. Awesome. Affordable. But I work 4 miles from the house, and my kids go to school (Marist) a mile from where I work. Traffic can be life changing depending on where you live, so choose wisely and don’t plan on going anywhere in a hurry between 4 pm and 7 pm during the week.

Marist? No shlt. I have nephews that went there. Excellent school.

Advertisement
Yeah man, San Diego has been a good experience, but it's not "home". Plus, real estate and taxes out here are outrages. Looking to find a new home base where I can invest in property and be able to travel routinely. Unfortunately, even being able to make 6 figures out here in Cali, your dollar doesn't go very far. Been paying $4k a month for a 3 bedroom condo. Don't get me wrong, the condo is pretty nice, but it's a condo for $4k a month. We are not club hounds. We enjoy different restaurants and the food scene, and honestly just looking for peace and quiet. Thanks for the feedback.
My brother lived in Alpharetta, about 25 miles north of Atlanta. I agree with OCCC, completely different atmosphere still being so close. My cousin lives in San Diego, completely agree with you, he has a house a little smaller than mine (1748 under air) he paid 350k. I live in South Florida and Paid 186k with closing costs and all. Got a USDA loan, literally paid nothing to close. It's insane out there. He is retired Navy, current supervisor for aircraft mechanics on base. Makes good money but complains all the time about cost of living. My experience was Alpharetta was great, he had a very nice house in an upscale neighborhood for 250k but that was in 2000. Just a short drive into the city and go back to peace and quiet but it depends on how you want to live.

I've been here 20 years. It's a great city IMO, good diversity, plenty to do during the week and on weekends. Mostly good people here. I like ATL because you can still move here and watch the city grow. This city will continue to grow drastically for the next 20 years. Its a million different suburbs to settle down and find you a cozy phat quiet crib that you could possibly make a lil money down the road. You can even find a house inside the perimeter and feel that city rush. Job opportunities are here. You get the real 4 seasons feel as far as weather is considered. Good food, good music, all your sports need besides hockey. Canes play here every other year. Also a 8 hour drive in any direction will get to you to a lot of places. I think you would like it.

You will not be disappointed there is every thing you would want in life I live in a Condo Twelve Atlantic Station. West Midtown Is A very up and Coming Area. Feel free to look me up when you visit. Your 1st Dinner is on me my Cane Bretheren. The Optimist and Chops are 2 of my favorite Restaurants. tlewisprestige@yahoo.com

Advertisement
Back