OT: Any of you Canes Goons from Atlanta?!?

MotoSniper

Palo Verde All-American
Fellas, I am pumped over the direction of our program. We got some solid pieces through the portal to shore up holes on the roster. But on a personal note, any of you currently live in Atlanta? The wife and I are looking to move back to the East Coast from San Diego, and want to explore our options. I am from Miami and spent time in Orlando so, I already know the pros and cons with those places. Also spent time in DC, Virginia, and North Carolina during my Marine Corps days. What can you guys tell me about ATL??? We are city folk, looking for a decent sized city with diversity, and nice suburbs to buy a mini palace. What are the pros and cons with ATL? Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Having lived there a few years as part of my career progression, the traffic is horrendous. It honestly depends what you like. Most of the people I know live in the suburbs, which are their own little cities to be honest. Some people I know are living an hour or more away.

Depends in a big way on what you are looking to spend on a house, I think that’s the bottom line.

I’m sure you’ve been to Atlanta. The only further advice I could give you is to spend about a week to a week and a half there, drive around to different areas and get a feel for the place.

Having lived there a few years as part of my career progression, the traffic is horrendous. It honestly depends what you like. Most of the people I know live in the suburbs, which are their own little cities to be honest. Some people I know are living an hour or more away.

Depends in a big way on what you are looking to spend on a house, I think that’s the bottom line.

I’m sure you’ve been to Atlanta. The only further advice I could give you is to spend about a week to a week and a half there, drive around to different areas and get a feel for the place.
Thanks for the feedback, bro. I've passed through on a few occasions, but never have really explored the city. The wife and I plan to check it out on our next trip to Orlando to see my folks later this year.

I am moving there as well in May for my profession. I have only spent 4 days in Atlanta before - will have about 2-3 months to look for an apartment.

If you hate traffic live inside the perimeter, don't move to the suburbs you will be in traffic most days for hour +, depending where you are getting to.

Atlanta is a great city. Lots to do. Events almost every weekend. Food is excellent here, mini New York. Southern hospitality will take you by surprise if your not use to people saying hi and talking randomly to you

Advertisement
Thanks for the feedback, bro. I've passed through on a few occasions, but never have really explored the city. The wife and I plan to check it out on our next trip to Orlando to see my folks later this year.

Yeah, I would definitely spend at least a week there so you get a feel for it. For my purposes Atlanta was fine, because I could fly pretty much anywhere from there easily, and well, that’s where I had to be anyway because of my job.

But Atlanta isn’t for everybody. First of all I can almost guarantee you’re going to do a ton of driving wherever you end up living. That’s why am saying, just find a hotel somewhere that you’re comfortable with and plan to spend a week there, and check out all the different areas/suburbs where people live and check out the things you like to do. I also don’t know what kind of life you lead. I mean some people they like to go out on the weekends every night try different restaurants try different experiences then Atlanta is for you.

I can tell you this having spent a good bit of time in Atlanta obviously, but then having traveled and spent many days in San Diego on business as well, they are completely different cities. Completely. I don’t even know how you compare them

Oh, and best of luck to you and your wife

If you hate traffic live inside the perimeter, don't move to the suburbs you will be in traffic most days for hour +, depending where you are getting to.

Atlanta is a great city. Lots to do. Events almost every weekend. Food is excellent here, mini New York. Southern hospitality will take you by surprise if your not use to people saying hi and talking randomly to you
Coming from cali he should fit right in as far as traffic..N

Yeah, I would definitely spend at least a week there so you get a feel for it. For my purposes Atlanta was fine, because I could fly pretty much anywhere from there easily, and well, that’s where I had to be anyway because of my job.

But Atlanta isn’t for everybody. First of all I can almost guarantee you’re going to do a ton of driving wherever you end up living. That’s why am saying, just find a hotel somewhere that you’re comfortable with and plan to spend a week there, and check out all the different areas/suburbs where people live and check out the things you like to do. I also don’t know what kind of life you lead. I mean some people they like to go out on the weekends every night try different restaurants try different experiences then Atlanta is for you.

I can tell you this having spent a good bit of time in Atlanta obviously, but then having traveled and spent many days in San Diego on business as well, they are completely different cities. Completely. I don’t even know how you compare them

Oh, and best of luck to you and your wife
Yeah man, San Diego has been a good experience, but it's not "home". Plus, real estate and taxes out here are outrages. Looking to find a new home base where I can invest in property and be able to travel routinely. Unfortunately, even being able to make 6 figures out here in Cali, your dollar doesn't go very far. Been paying $4k a month for a 3 bedroom condo. Don't get me wrong, the condo is pretty nice, but it's a condo for $4k a month. We are not club hounds. We enjoy different restaurants and the food scene, and honestly just looking for peace and quiet. Thanks for the feedback.

Moved to Atlanta from Miami 8 years ago. Love it. Traffic is entirely overstated - it is infinitely better than Miami and like most big cities. With that being said, there are a ton of big companies with headquarters or large offices in the greater Atlanta area, have a lot of outdoors stuff very close if that’s your thing, great food, extremely reasonable cost of living, friendly people. I really love living here - great place to start or raise a family.

Depends what you want out of living or what your budget is, but if you want to be in the city and don’t mind an area still developing a little, Grant Park, Summerhill, Cabbagetown, Kirkwood are all great. West Midtown, Underwood Hills, Brookhaven and parts of Buckhead are a little more down the line development wise and still affordable. If you go a drop out of the perimeter to Vinings, Smyrna, Sandy Springs, you can get a big house at a reasonable price point. Bottom line, there are a ton of areas, just have to see what suits y’all best. But it is a really great place to live.

Advertisement
I am from Miami (Carol City Opa-Locka area) and I currently live about an hour north from downtown Atlanta. I would suggest looking at cities north of Atlanta. Kennesaw and Cartersville (Trevor Lawrence’s hometown) are great places to look that will give you close proximity to Atlanta but you can escape the traffic and crime and all of that nonsense

Yeah man, San Diego has been a good experience, but it's not "home". Plus, real estate and taxes out here are outrages. Looking to find a new home base where I can invest in property and be able to travel routinely. Unfortunately, even being able to make 6 figures out here in Cali, your dollar doesn't go very far. Been paying $4k a month for a 3 bedroom condo. Don't get me wrong, the condo is pretty nice, but it's a condo for $4k a month. We are not club hounds. We enjoy different restaurants and the food scene, and honestly just looking for peace and quiet. Thanks for the feedback.

California is on a whole other level when it comes to real estate, real estate taxes, overall taxes, housing costs, and overall cost of living.

It’s a beautiful state, San Diego is an absolutely gorgeous place to visit, but it’s a weird state in the sense that you either have to be balls deep into six figures to afford a decent house and standard of living there, or you’re either basically at the bottom OR up to your ears in debt.

Now I’m talking about places like San Francisco, San Diego, LA, places like that. I’m guessing cost of living in places like Fresno is a lot cheaper but then who wants to live there

Moved to Atlanta from Miami 8 years ago. Love it. Traffic is entirely overstated - it is infinitely better than Miami and like most big cities. With that being said, there are a ton of big companies with headquarters or large offices in the greater Atlanta area, have a lot of outdoors stuff very close if that’s your thing, great food, extremely reasonable cost of living, friendly people. I really love living here - great place to start or raise a family.

Depends what you want out of living or what your budget is, but if you want to be in the city and don’t mind an area still developing a little, Grant Park, Summerhill, Cabbagetown, Kirkwood are all great. West Midtown, Underwood Hills, Brookhaven and parts of Buckhead are a little more down the line development wise and still affordable. If you go a drop out of the perimeter to Vinings, Smyrna, Sandy Springs, you can get a big house at a reasonable price point. Bottom line, there are a ton of areas, just have to see what suits y’all best. But it is a really great place to live.
Thanks for the feedback, bro. Will definitely do some research on those areas you suggested.

California is on a whole other level when it comes to real estate, real estate taxes, overall taxes, housing costs, and overall cost of living.

It’s a beautiful state, San Diego is an absolutely gorgeous place to visit, but it’s a weird state in the sense that you either have to be balls deep into six figures to afford a decent house and standard of living there, or you’re either at basically at the bottom or up to your ears in debt.

Now I’m talking about places like San Francisco, San Diego, LA, places like that. I’m guessing cost of living in places like Fresno is a lot cheaper but then who wants to live there
LOL, yeah man, we call it being "San Diego Poor"...I am being a little exaggerated, but never thought I would be pulling in 6 figures and have to be this careful with where we spend our dollars. Granted, the wife and I don't live on the cheap, but it's getting ridiculous out here.

Advertisement
LOL, yeah man, we call it being "San Diego Poor"...I am being a little exaggerated, but never thought I would be pulling in 6 figures and have to be this careful with where we spend our dollars. Granted, the wife and I don't live on the cheap, but it's getting ridiculous out here.

You don’t know how many people I know that are in your same exact situation. 150 K plus salaries, some even significantly more, and literally living paycheck to paycheck. That’s not supposed to happen when you’re between 100 and 200 salary.

Fellas, I am pumped over the direction of our program. We got some solid pieces through the portal to shore up holes on the roster. But on a personal note, any of you currently live in Atlanta? The wife and I are looking to move back to the East Coast from San Diego, and want to explore our options. I am from Miami and spent time in Orlando so, I already know the pros and cons with those places. Also spent time in DC, Virginia, and North Carolina during my Marine Corps days. What can you guys tell me about ATL??? We are city folk, looking for a decent sized city with diversity, and nice suburbs to buy a mini palace. What are the pros and cons with ATL? Thanks in advance
My question is.. why are you moving from SD? I am contemplating moving there from DC? I visited last year and it was dope. Are you still in the service or something?

Advertisement

This!

I am from Miami (Carol City Opa-Locka area) and I currently live about an hour north from downtown Atlanta. I would suggest looking at cities north of Atlanta. Kennesaw and Cartersville (Trevor Lawrence’s hometown) are great places to look that will give you close proximity to Atlanta but you can escape the traffic and crime and all of that nonsense

In
My question is.. why are you moving from SD? I am contemplating moving there from DC? I visited last year and it was dope. Are you still in the service or something?
Go to Facebook and look up Atlanta Canes. You would fine a lot more Canes fans that will help you.

I retired from the service in 2015. I am a medical provider now. We want to move elsewhere largely due to wanting to stretch our dollars to fit our lifestyle and things we want to do...basically work less, own a nice home, and travel more overseas. Right now, we have a pretty decent life, but with real estate costs, taxes, and overall cost of living, we aren't able to travel as much as we would like and owning a nice home is out of the question. Average real estate price out here for a 3 bedroom home is around $700k. Now, for that $700k you will get an old home from the 1950s that requires a complete renovation that will likely cost you another $100k-$200k. It all comes down to lifestyle and things you want out of life. Don't get me wrong, SD is beautiful with great weather, but I would much rather be able to travel to Europe and beyond 3-4 times a year while owning a nice home than live in San Diego. San Diego is a nice 4 year destination move, but to settle down here, you have to be willing to sacrifice certain things that you could have living in other states...like time and money.

Advertisement
Back