OT: Any of you Canes Goons from Atlanta?!?

@MotoSniper

I’ve owned at least one property in the Atlanta area for more than 20 years. Whatever you do, don’t move to Cartersville or Kennesaw. That’s not what you described you’re looking for by any stretch of the imagination.

All of Atlanta inside the perimeter (inside the circle that is I-285) is changing rapidly. Anywhere south of I-20 is mostly “in transition” but these areas are blowing up - in 15 years a household will not be able to live within the perimeter making less than 6 figures, imo. Plus, Grant Park and surrounding areas are “established”.

@wspcane has some excellent choices but also consider OTP …Doraville/Chamblee and ITP Downtown Decatur (and neighboring area) is a hidden gem (on MARTA; close to Emory). Marietta Square area is great but no MARTA. Downtown Norcross is also a surprise.

Atlanta is building a park that will rival piedmont park on the Midtown/west side (the area is called West Midtown). There are already homes upwards of 700k there. It will all connect to the Beltline and it’s really close to GT, Downtown and the airport, as well as SunTrust Park.

One of the issues that’s happening to the northern suburbs is corporate flight - companies are too far away from the talent so they’re moving back into the city where their employees want to live. (NCR comes to mind)

The people who built Atlantic Station also built a development in Alpharetta called Avalon (exit 10). They’re building a sister property along exit 12 and I think there’s a third coming on line after that. Those are close to what you describe but your trips along 400 to go EVERYWHERE don’t fit your initial criteria either.

Hope that helps.
Great info man, thanks!

Advertisement
Traffic, traffic, then you get stuck in more traffic. I have never been to a city with as bad of traffic as Atlanta. Outside of that, not a bad town. Real estate market is fairly cheap once you get outside the loop.

I'm originally from NY and can tell you the traffic in ATL is nothing serious. The highways get clogged in rush hour. So what? That happens anywhere.

No one has mentioned it but there is a nice growing area about 45 minutes East of downtown in the Braselton area. Lots of nice "mini mansions" going up. A good number of Falcons players have homes out this way.

I'm a real estate agent here...so if you need help looking at properties when the time comes hit me up!

If you hate traffic live inside the perimeter, don't move to the suburbs you will be in traffic most days for hour +, depending where you are getting to.

Atlanta is a great city. Lots to do. Events almost every weekend. Food is excellent here, mini New York. Southern hospitality will take you by surprise if your not use to people saying hi and talking randomly to you
Great city to visit but I couldn't live there. I'm sure it's stuff to do, when I visited my cousins in stone mountain we always hit up Onyx, Magic City, Strokers... even pin ups once .. I would stop at this hole in the wall call EATS man.. Atlanta is different a whole other city! I am glad you're married, that should eliminate half your issues there.

Advertisement
  • Braselton is not diverse, in the way a city dweller expects diverse or in the way a South Floridian or Southern Californian would. It might even be called … homogeneous.
  • it’s also far from Atlanta. 45 min at best. And a potential commute into the city is a solid 45 minutes, PLUS AN ADDITIONAL HOUR, each way. More than 2 hours would be close to the norm. It’s just another version of Cartersville (instead of being halfway to TN you’re halfway to SC)
  • without camp in Flowery Branch there will be fewer Falcons living up there.
Too many “growing” OTP communities have that one-road death drive to everywhere feel because the residents want to maintain a slightly country feel even though the developers have already marked off more subdivisions and the residents don’t want to pay the taxes for more roads.
I am just giving him an option for a place where he can have a large home for not a lot of money and live in a developing area. He said he's a medical provider and there is a large brand new hospital and a flourishing medical jobs market in all kinds of brand new facilities. If he is heading into the city for entertainment purposes and not commuting at the regular rush hour times the drive into ATL is 45 minutes to an hour. The only times it takes as long as you say is in peak rush.
And about diversity...I was born and raised in NY...I understand diversity. But...if I'm talking to someone about properties and neighborhoods...I'm not allowed to make comments on that. And the way this world works I sure as **** wouldn't put it in writing.

Been in and around hotlanta for over 30 years and highly recommend the area. As many have already commented there is anything you are looking for, just make sure you find it. Any kind and excellent dining in area. You can find very diverse neighborhoods, golf or tennis neighborhoods, new or old neighborhoods, in town and surburban.

One thing I really enjoy you can be on coast (Jekly, St Simons, or Ala coast) in 4 hours or you can be in mountains in 2 hours. If you enjoy outdoor activities all accessible in a 1-2 hour drive. Worth a look my man.

Advertisement
I stayed in the Acworth/Kennesaw area a few years back before moving back to Savannah. You should like the area, 45 min from the city. Acworth is a really good area that's growing. You can get a house in the 200k, quality hs football games, it's actually things to do in the area without going to the city.

I love Atlanta. You mentioned rounding so I assume you’re a floor or ICU Dr. I work at Emory if you have any questions about that. If you live close to where you work the traffic shouldn’t be a problem. You could live further from work if you’re working the opposite direction of traffic.

As people have said there is lots of food and things to do outside. you are less than 5 hours from Destin, Savannah and Hilton head. 6 hours from New Orleans, 2 hours from the the mountains.

Advertisement
Live north of the city much of the year. Weather is great up here. 4 seasons. Hardly ever too extreme in any direction. Traffic, like most metro areas, can get pretty crazy sometimes. Because ATL sprawls in every direction, there's no end in sight to growth and traffic. Food and pub scene has gotten much better the last decade. Not sure what you like.

I retired from the service in 2015. I am a medical provider now. We want to move elsewhere largely due to wanting to stretch our dollars to fit our lifestyle and things we want to do...basically work less, own a nice home, and travel more overseas. Right now, we have a pretty decent life, but with real estate costs, taxes, and overall cost of living, we aren't able to travel as much as we would like and owning a nice home is out of the question. Average real estate price out here for a 3 bedroom home is around $700k. Now, for that $700k you will get an old home from the 1950s that requires a complete renovation that will likely cost you another $100k-$200k. It all comes down to lifestyle and things you want out of life. Don't get me wrong, SD is beautiful with great weather, but I would much rather be able to travel to Europe and beyond 3-4 times a year while owning a nice home than live in San Diego. San Diego is a nice 4 year destination move, but to settle down here, you have to be willing to sacrifice certain things that you could have living in other states...like time and money.

It really depends on where you are going to work. I moved to Forsyth county (Suwanee) from Kennesaw a few years back. Let me tell you for $700k you can get a brand new 4 sided brick home with about 5000 square feet. I like that part of town because its right off Peachtree Pkwy with easy acess to 2 major highways close by I-85 and GA-400. The city is about ~20 north of midtown. It's nice because its close to the North GA mountains, a half hour from the city (non rush hour) and about 5-6 hours down to the beaches in the panhandle.

Maybe addressed earlier, but the key issue is where you'll be working. Once that's determined, suggest you look within a 10-mile radius so traffic issues can be minimized. Tons of great areas so you'll be able to find something depending on type of house/condo you're looking for, recreational interests, schools, etc.

Advertisement
I'm in Chattanooga. Give it 10 years and it'll be a suburb of Atlanta.

We visited friends in Chattanooga a couple of weekends back... went to Heaven and Ale and dinner at Flying Squirrel. Good stuff.

They said in 30 years the area will be known as the Charlanta Corridor, with Charlotte, Greenville, and Atlanta nearly merging. I hope they do the fast rail line by then like they are in Florida.

This all day. I never thought I'd have to worry at this point. It just isnt what it was years ago in terms of costs of living.

But there has not been any inflation since Bill Clinton became president. He cured it, didn’t he? Well, as Bill said, “that depends on what the dentition of is is.”

I'll have 29 years in Atlanta area this year, live in a northern suburb now. Sure traffic sucks but that's every big city, I love it, great place to raise a family, booming economy, decent weather, winter's are pretty mild. Plus I love the South

Fellas, I am pumped over the direction of our program. We got some solid pieces through the portal to shore up holes on the roster. But on a personal note, any of you currently live in Atlanta? The wife and I are looking to move back to the East Coast from San Diego, and want to explore our options. I am from Miami and spent time in Orlando so, I already know the pros and cons with those places. Also spent time in DC, Virginia, and North Carolina during my Marine Corps days. What can you guys tell me about ATL??? We are city folk, looking for a decent sized city with diversity, and nice suburbs to buy a mini palace. What are the pros and cons with ATL? Thanks in advance

Went to college in Atlanta.
As already stated, traffic is horrendous, but there's ALWAYS something to do.
Close proximity to anything you'd want to get into.
You could buy a house outside of the city (recommended) and get a lot for your money.

Good luck man and Semper Fi.

Advertisement
Back